No announcement yet.

Smiling SIMILARITIES between SPENCE and GOLOVKIN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rock&Roll View Post
    You know we have a negative bias in our brains? The media know it - that's why there is so much negative news, because our brain reacts more strongly to stimuli it deems negative. It probably protected us back in caveman days but isn't ideal in 21st century.

I simply started a discussion in a boxing forum about 2 level headed boxers i like to watch and happen to be top 10 in the game.
    Nah, you're just starting sh@t.

Both are awesome, top P4P fighters and have proven it. The end really.
    Last edited by Boxing Goat; 03-27-2019, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lolpz View Post
      ...How are you going ot use your own logic to disprove your argument?

Because Haymon isn't biased to any fighter in particular, he will not make a fight that either fighter doesn't want. Thank you though, you will not get another response from me.
      It’s ok. Industry knows there isn’t any authentic animosity between the PBC stars. They act like they go on field trips. That’s not trill mayne

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
        Strategically many similarities - both are, despite their fearsome reputations - patient and fairly conservative in style. You'll rarely see either overcommit, both are content to play the numbers, relying on accuracy, a high output and heavy hands to eventually wear guys down without having to take undue risk. For heavy handed dudes with good fundamentals and stamina it's a very effective strategy.

Like you say though, I find it hard to see why folk would like one but not the either when viewed from a purely boxing standpoint.
        I find it hard to understand why anyone would not like a boxer who shows up in prime shape and carries the action to give a good show in the ring pretty much every single time.

---

As far as the two boxers go there are significant similarities but the differences are significant too. They are both fundamentally sound boxers with decent power and good accuracy but:

Spence is a southpaw and GGG is not.
        Spence seems to like to fight shoulder to shoulder and GGG likes a bit of distance. He doesn't do as well when smothered.
        Spence is far quicker a smoother and quicker on his feet. He also throws more angles at his opponents.
        GGG has better one-punch power and has a stiffer jab.

I don't want to write a book about it but I beyond being great fighters I don't see an unusual amount of similarities between these two.

Comment

Originally posted by Granath View Post
          I find it hard to understand why anyone would not like a boxer who shows up in prime shape and carries the action to give a good show in the ring pretty much every single time.

---

As far as the two boxers go there are significant similarities but the differences are significant too. They are both fundamentally sound boxers with decent power and good accuracy but:

Spence is a southpaw and GGG is not.
          Spence seems to like to fight shoulder to shoulder and GGG likes a bit of distance. He doesn't do as well when smothered.
          Spence is far quicker a smoother and quicker on his feet. He also throws more angles at his opponents.
          GGG has better one-punch power and has a stiffer jab.

I don't want to write a book about it but I beyond being great fighters I don't see an unusual amount of similarities between these two.
          It's more the strategic rather than stylistic similarities I was thinking of. Both measured, patient stalkers who play the percentages, controlling the tempo with volume and accuracy without getting carried away... until the time is right of course. Stylistically there is significant differences of course, but in general I tend to regard them as similar kinds of fighter. Course - we all see things our own way.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
            No, im a fan of golovkin but not spence. They are very different people.
            That’s because 1 is black and the other is Eastern European

Comment

[QUOTE=TonyGe;19619988]
              Originally posted by Rock&Roll View Post

That upper body movement IMO was wasted energy. He cut down on it in the second fight and was more efficient at least that's how it appeared to me.
              I actually thought the upper body movement made Golovkin miss quite a bit but you're right it did limit his own offense. He did fix it in the second fight. That's what impressed me about the second fight.

Comment

Originally posted by lolpz View Post
                I mean they're very different fighters IMO I don't get what people see in similarities other then the opposite parallel of:

The fact some people truly believe GGG was being ducked (but in actuality there are a bunch of articles and videos with fighters directly saying they want to fight GGG)

Then Spence who people swear up and down ISN'T being ducked/avoided when it's very clear that he is. Only people who have said his name are Mikey Garcia and Terrence Crawford. Crawford is exclusively signed to ESPN and Spence just fought Garcia. Up until now Porter was ducking him as well but now after losing to Ugas he wants to cash out on PPV because he knows his time as champion is limited.

It's strange for me that you can say Spence is being avoided and can flip it and say GG wasn't.
                In Germany Sylvester avoided and Sturm clearly ducked. Then there was N'Dam, BJS (certainly early on, not now), Eubank Jr, Canelo (most obvious). It's hard to say names, for example when abc mandatory was due Tuereno Johnson was in camp but suddenly had a shoulder injury. Suspicious timing and makes it difficult to say names. That sort of thing wasn't a one off.

It's all about risk/reward and when Spence becomes a draw (happening now), people will start to fight him. It's not they won't fight him, it's just they want 5-10 mill to do it, same as GG circa 5 years ago.

Comment

I don't care how much you came to "survive", I don't think a WW can last 12 rounds with GGG.

Spence not being to KO Garcia, shows that his power is not great. He has good power, not great power. You can't KO a LW coming up 2 weight classes, you're power isn't all that.

Look, Mayweather couldn't KO JMM. Okay we know JMM can take a punch and can recover quickly. He went 24 rounds with a prime Pacquiao at 126-130. But Mayweather wasn't known as a big puncher at WW and he was fighting in his 4th weight class already.

This Spence's 1st weight class, he's in his prime, he's hungry. It doesn't matter if Garcia came to survive, Spence threw 1000+ punches and landed almost 400 of them. He had 375 chances of KO'ing him and couldn't.

Comment

There are some similarities, but quite a few technical differences between them. Spence has a more consistent body attack, he also exerts more effort defensively. Sometimes that's good, other times it's not. Golovkin's defense is subtle, he'll take a bit of damage but wont waste a lot of energy.
                    Spence doesn't have as good of technique as Golovkin. He doesn't have the variety of punches that Golovkin does. He also doesn't move nearly as well laterally. Chin is an unknown, for the most part.

Spence is more mobile and is better coached, IMO. For ex, unlike most people, I thought Golovkin's adjustments in the 2nd fight were right on the money, and he adjusted beautifully. However, that was his amateur background coming into play, not so much Sanchez' coaching. Spence on the other hand has a pretty smart trainer. He hasn't been required to make too many adjustments on the fly yet, so that's an unknown.

We also don't know how Spence reacts under threat. Brook was never in the driver's seat in their fight, I think Brook lost a lot of power when he dropped muscle mass from 160 to 147. Let's put Spence against a legit power puncher to see how he reacts. Golovkin's been in there with the biggest, hardest hitters of the division. He neutralized Lemieux, exchanged punches with Stevens, took the best Jacobs and Canelo could throw and barely flinched.

Comment

Two of my favourite fighters.
                      You know a fighter is good when he starts to get the level of hate GGG gets.

Comment

Working...
                      X