Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward's Injury: Roc Nation Sports Sues Insurer For $6.3M

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, Wards basically handicap and still beat Kovalev 2x's This just makes the victory that much sweeter.

Comment

Andre Ward not only is an honorless dirty cheat (Low blows, headbutts, holding) he is also a scamming con artist as evidenced by yet ANOTHER LAWSUIT, trying to bully .....

Ward is a disgrace to boxing and Roc Nation clearly trying to get back money after foolishly losing so much on Ward. Two cowardly hustlers scamming again.

Comment

This sounds shady as hell! Why hasn't anyone heard of this injury before?? The guy has been retired for almost two years now. Looks like Roc Nation is trying to recoup some of the money they wasted on the terrible Andre Ward investment from an insurance company.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonhead_Jeff View Post
          This lawsuit does not have a leg to stand on!
          A right leg to stand on!

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Also I think I've seen 4 or 5 guys in recent years fighting with one leg + one kickstand so idk if there is such a thing as a career ending leg injury in boxing.

Sergio. Yuri Foreman. That cat, Johnson(?), who fought a Charlo brother. Few others I'm not recalling.
            Gimpy Heiland couldn't even stand. That was TERRIBLE. Cant believe they let him box like that. Even coming down to the ring he was limping

Comment

Originally posted by Shadoww702 View Post
              Gimpy Heiland couldn't even stand. That was TERRIBLE. Cant believe they let him box like that. Even coming down to the ring he was limping
              All these guys are designed to lose. They have no circumstance of being P4P, so taking a bag and the fall is a no brainer.

Comment

ha ha u just gota laugh, first he gets handed kovalevs belts on a BS decision, then gets almost 7 mil apparently in a rematch of a fight that did very poor ppv numbers on a guarantee, with kovalev getting a small fraction of that, now hes looking for an insurance payout, LOL oh to be a house fighter like ward, so nice

no wonder kovalev hit the vodka lolz

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
                  So glad 175 is back in the hands of champs who want to stay active and fight the best opponents, primarily each other. I respect Ward's talent but I don't consider either of his only two top level "wins" at 175 legitimate, and it's a mute point anyway since Kovalev showed up out of shape to both fights (which on one hand is Kovalev's fault, on the other hand may be the only reason Ward fought him. That's the perks of having spies in someone's camp, you can get the first hand info whether there's a moment in time they are out of shape and you can beat them easy, or whether to not fight them at all. Remember Virgil Hunter, Ward's trainer, said at the pre-fight press conference that all the vodka had caught up to or would catch up to Kovalev. I think that was before he admitted to the problem publicly. So that suggests they had spies in his camp even for the first fight. Considering Kovalev's trainer almost switched sides for the rematch, it wouldn't be surprising at all), not the same Kovalev as climbed the P4P rankings before Chilemba -> Ward -> etc -> Alvarez I, and not the same as showed up for the Alvarez rematch.

The champs at 175 now, all are as good as Ward in my opinion, some are better, yet they come with not even 10% of the diva in them that Ward had, and they fight more often, and outside of Beterbiev, vs better competition on average, than he did. They also for the most part (just not sure about Beterbiev) all want to become undisputed, and are willing to travel to do it if necessary. That's boxing needs. And even the ones that do only fights cab drivers for the most part, like Beterbiev, make far more entertaining work of it than Ward usually did. All four 175 champs have fan friendly styles. Only ones with even a hint of something less than spectacular in their styles, from time to time, are Gvozdyk and Bivol, but the only time Gvozdyk has gotten an opportunity to fight a top opponent, he and Stevenson both showed big guts and even bigger heart to put on one of the fights of the year in 2018, and Bivol also put in a very very exciting display vs his best opponent, Barrera. Pascal and Chilemba were less spectacular displays due largely to Pascal and Chilemba just surviving behind their guard most the night, but they were still entertaining displays where Bivol landed crisp powerful punches in bunches almost every round.

All of that is good for boxing. All that needs to happen in 2019 are the matchups. Were Ward still holding the 3 belts, the division would probably be on hold for years while he cherry picked some past prime name at cruiserweight or heavyweight, took a tuneup fight in the UK for big money vs some C-level UK name (I think it came close to happening didn't it?), and so on. He'd talk about how he even though he doesn't generate big money, he's entitled to big money, and the other top guys at 175 aren't well known enough yet for networks to pay him big money to fight them (even though it's really him who isn't well known enough to justify HIS salary demands, not them who aren't well known enough to justify their much much smaller salary demands), so he'd drag it out or never fight them.

These guys, they're not going to say "even though it will never generate this, I deserve 10 mil to fight Bivol, or Gvozdyk," or whatever. No, they do fair business instead which is, "Whatever this fight will generate now, I feel I am responsible for 50% of that, or 60% of that, so I want 50%, or 60%, of the fighters pot for this fight, plus my sponsorships and this and that." They will fight up the rankings to earn their belts in the ring, and earn their popularity and money, instead of demanding more than they're worth and just expecting it to happen by magic, even if it means stalling your division for years and ruining the sport across the board one division at a time like this.

The one thing I'll give Ward credit for, after the second gift letting him keep the three gifted belts at 175, he didn't drag the division out anymore than Vegas already ensured would be the case with or without Ward's approval. He retired and dropped the belts right away. That allowed Kovalev, Bivol, Beterbiev, and ultimately Gvozdyk to get their deserved title shots and win the belts, and now it's shaping up perfectly for a tournament. I appreciate Ward for that, anyway, although it's disappointing he didn't fight them.
                  Was there anything in that book regarding Ward and RNS lawsuit against Lloyd's of London? Or did you just see an article with Ward's name in it and decide to vent your childish dislike for his career. I didn't read past the first line.

Comment

Originally posted by marvin douglas View Post
                    who cares what you think
                    Well you took the time to comment so apparently you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      Also I think I've seen 4 or 5 guys in recent years fighting with one leg + one kickstand so idk if there is such a thing as a career ending leg injury in boxing.

Sergio. Yuri Foreman. That cat, Johnson(?), who fought a Charlo brother. Few others I'm not recalling.
                      Yeah, they're probably going to have to articulate in some way that if Ward were to continue fighting on that leg that he'd risk serious damage and thus cannot continue to fight. The fact that he turned down what would have been a very lucrative Tony Bellew fight is a strong indication that the knee is not in good condition. If Lloyd's settles it would be considered a win for RNC and Ward.

Comment

Working...
                      X