Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Oscar Rivas Knocks Out Bryant Jennings in Twelfth Round

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This win could catapult Rivas into the title picture. He fights out of Quebec & some HWs might want to come there to fight him as there is money to be made in that province. I expect his next few big fights to be there.

Comment

• Originally posted by joe strong View Post
      The eye problems kept him inactive & he could’t get fights sanctioned in the US until the retina issues were solved. He had that fight in Vegas cancelled against Washington because the NSAC wouldn’t give him a licence.
      Anyway let’s agree to disagree
      He needs to fight better opponents
      When Gym signed him their was so much talk and hope for Rivas
      I just hope this is the beginning

Comment

• Garbage fight...Rivas will never beat a top 5 guy . Jennings needs to retire.

Comment

• Originally posted by MulaKO View Post
          Anyway let’s agree to disagree
          He needs to fight better opponents
          When Gym signed him their was so much talk and hope for Rivas
          I just hope this is the beginning
          What big fights could he get if he couldn't get sanctioned in any big US state? 2 years he had problems & was always on the comback trail following setbacks with the eye. Now he is cleared, fought 4 times gradually building back up with 3 fights with beatable but durable HWs & finally stepped up & look at the result. Jennings is a top 15 HW. This is considered an upset as Jennings was the WBO #2, WBA #7, IBF #8 & WBC #14 so I don't know what you think a better opponent could be. Jennings is a HUGE win. He is now top 10 in all 4 bodies & has the NABF, NABO & WBA International title. I don't understand what people think a step up fight is. If beating a legit top 10-15 HW who is ranked in the top 10 in 3 bodies & top 15 in the other is not "fighting better opponents" than I don't know what is. He should be able to get big fights now as he is now going to be the hunted by many. He should get some big US fights & can start headlining events for GYM in Quebec now. The paydays should start getting bigger.
          Last edited by joe strong; 01-19-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mlac View Post
            wish i put £100 on him now

nasty and clinical finish after a ridiculously long count for jennings.

i had rivas 2 up going into the last round & that was being VERY generous to jennings, he only had 2 clear rounds when Rivas was too gassed to throw, he literally landed on gloves for probobly over 80% of his punches.Whereas Rivas Jab was very crisp and most of his punches were penetrating Bye bye's guard.
            He needs to sort his gasstank out still, cant wait to follow the rest of his career, would LOVE to see him in agaisnt Izu next...and then the likes of Ortiz, Takam & Kownacki
            Yeah great experience for Rivas vs the toughest competition of his career so far though he will only get better now. I was actually impressed he was able to get a second wind around the 10th-11th Round then just exploded on Jennings in the 12th to end it

Comment

• Lol. 😂😂. I'm sorry for laughing but what you said about Jennings messing up your parlay is funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by sicko View Post
                Yeah great experience for Rivas vs the toughest competition of his career so far though he will only get better now. I was actually impressed he was able to get a second wind around the 10th-11th Round then just exploded on Jennings in the 12th to end it
                Those are the fine margins between a win and a loss, great pep talk by his trainer and also the ability to pick his shots and smell blood, ive lost count the amount of times ive seen someone completely smother their work when their opponent is buzzed.
                You look at someone like Joseph Parker who doesnt have someone in his corner like that... doesnt let his hands go and doesnt have any finishing ability and you wonder what might of been agaisnt the likes of Whyte in the 12th, etc.(i still believe he had AJ hurt on 2 occasions as well)

did you put down money as well man?

Comment

• Originally posted by joe strong View Post
                  What big fights could he get if he couldn't get sanctioned in any big US state? 2 years he had problems & was always on the comback trail following setbacks with the eye. Now he is cleared, fought 4 times gradually building back up with 3 fights with beatable but durable HWs & finally stepped up & look at the result. Jennings is a top 15 HW. This is considered an upset as Jennings was the WBO #2, WBA #7, IBF #8 & WBC #14 so I don't know what you think a better opponent could be. Jennings is a HUGE win. He is now top 10 in all 4 bodies & has the NABF, NABO & WBA International title. I don't understand what people think a step up fight is. If beating a legit top 10-15 HW who is ranked in the top 10 in 3 bodies & top 15 in the other is not "fighting better opponents" than I don't know what is. He should be able to get big fights now as he is now going to be the hunted by many. He should get some big US fights & can start headlining events for GYM in Quebec now. The paydays should start getting bigger.
                  I think you misunderstood me
                  What I meant is hopefully this fight will put him in a position to make that step to the elite

Comment

• Rivas was putting it into Jennings body slow but hard. Jennings wrists were twitching around before he threw like he didnt have the strength to keep his arms up. But, I agree, that whole Im a complete man or whatever nonsense from Jennings. Go paint watercolours and come back after youve synthesized this emotional burden into positive change.
                    Last edited by Bda31175; 01-19-2019, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bda31175 View Post
                      Rivas was putting it into Jennings body slow but hard. Jennings wrists were twitching around before he threw like he didnt have the strength to keep his arms up. But, I agree, that whole Im a complete man or whatever nonsense from Jennings. Go paint watercolours and come back after youve synthesized this emotional burden into positive change.
                      Jennings is a top 20 HW but he's nearly 35. He had little to no amateur experience & I think that gets him exposed to fighters with extensive boxing backgrounds. Klitschko, Ortiz & Rivas all have extensive amateur pedigrees & were able to make the adjustments to beat him. Jennings really did think Ortiz & Rivas were not on his level. After the Ortiz fight he said that he underestimated him & thought he would win. Guys were not lining up to fight Ortiz but coming off his decent performance against Klitschko he may have overestimated his own ability as that was the first fight Klitschko showed vulnerability in a decade. He was confident he was an elite HW. The Ortiz loss was the beginning of the decine as he struggled with journeymen Dawejko & Dimitrenko on his comeback. Rivas had a built up record with a few decent wins over journeymen so I don't think Jennings was too worried about him. This loss could be the demise of Jennings. He lost his ranking in all 4 governing bodies & I'm not sure he can recover. He went pretty far for a guy who didn't start boxing until he was 24. Kudos to him for that but he will be nothing more than a gatekeeper as there are a lot of prospects coming with extensive & elite amateur backgrounds. I don't see him being able to get back up the rankings with all the new HWs on the rise. Losing that WBO #2 ranking is a tough pill to swallow as Whyte probably will be next for Joshua which would have left Jennings as the WBO #1. A title shot or a final eliminator was on the horizon with Tom Schwarz as the WBO #3, Miller #4 or Zhang #5, Fujimoto #6, Spong #7. Miller was really the only true threat behind him. I think Team Jennings really dropped the ball taking the Rivas fight being so close to a WBO top ranking. Bad advise & bad matchmaking...
                      Last edited by joe strong; 01-20-2019, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X