No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Loma-Pedraza Averaged 2,013,000 Viewers; Ranks 2nd In 2018

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jax teller View Post
    Surely if they introduce cheaper PPV in America they could start getting at the very least half the viewing numbers as buys.
    ESPN already started it. its called ESPN+ its Pay Per MONTH!

Comment

Originally posted by 7not8 View Post
      I'm not trying to bash but I'm pretty sure that Lomachenko probably drew about 85% of the viewers to the television, if not more.
      Im not so sure about that, Puerto Ricans support their boxer really wella and this was a big fight for us. At least 300k-500k ricans saw this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by AdonisCreed View Post
        Those are excellent ratings. That's good for the sport of boxing!!
        Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
        That was an excellent card, at an excellent time! All 3 fights were highly entertaining! The undercards outperformed the main event! Add to that, it all came right after the Heisman Award Show! PERFECT! Salute to TR and ESPN!
        Originally posted by Boxing Hero View Post
        Wow! Those are great numbers!
        Originally posted by mp1110 View Post
        Pacing was a problem, but the numbers still came in. Top Rank + ESPN partnership continues to be a huge success.
        Originally posted by MinuteMaid5
        Great numbers.
        Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Great stuff. I was skeptical about espn hosting top rank but it's great to see numbers like this.
        Originally posted by TBear View Post
        Cable tv still has a large viewership edge but ESPN does a good job of promoting it's fights across the airways. The upcoming show was mentioned if not advertised on most ESPN tv channels as well as ESPN radio.
        They are good numbers, relative to the current popularity of boxing in the US, and it's also good that they were achieved by the top 2 P4P fighters in the world.

But to put these numbers in perspective - Usyk vs Bellew was watched live by 15 million viewers in the Ukraine, from a total population of 45 million. Loma probably gets similar numbers over there.

It's sad that a US fighter with the ability and persona of Crawford is getting less than 3 million viewers in his own country - population 360 million.

I've seen the excitement and atmosphere Bud generates in arenas for his fights. In another era he would be a Hearns, SRL level cross over star. And the match-ups are there for him, and guys like Spence and Porter, to achieve that level of recognition today.

Somebody should get hold of Haymon and Arum and knock there damned heads together.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax teller View Post
          Surely if they introduce cheaper PPV in America they could start getting at the very least half the viewing numbers as buys.
          For fights like these ones why not? Even if they sell 50k then its a win win.

Comment

Good numbers

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
              They are good numbers, relative to the current popularity of boxing in the US, and it's also good that they were achieved by the top 2 P4P fighters in the world.

But to put these numbers in perspective - Usyk vs Bellew was watched live by 15 million viewers in the Ukraine, from a total population of 45 million. Loma probably gets similar numbers over there.

It's sad that a US fighter with the ability and persona of Crawford is getting less than 3 million viewers in his own country - population 360 million.

I've seen the excitement and atmosphere Bud generates in arenas for his fights. In another era he would be a Hearns, SRL level cross over star. And the match-ups are there for him, and guys like Spence and Porter, to achieve that level of recognition today.

Somebody should get hold of Haymon and Arum and knock there damned heads together.
              I think when TV contracts are involved, it's much more difficult! How do you tell ESPN that "I want to let Loma fight Mikey on Showtime," or tell SHO that "I want to let Spence Jr. fight Crawford on ESPN?" These networks just shelled out millions to these guys, to air shows for these fighters! It's just not realistic!

Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Mikey Garcia is a dream matchup, but it's fantasy

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...atchup-fantasy

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post

Something people outside the US don't understand is that the US doesn't have national heroes like almost all other countries do. That's just not in fashion here anymore. Americans really don't care where a fighter is from. In some cases (GG, Pac, etc) they like the fighters better if their are foreigners. The few pro-US hardcores you might argue with on here don't represent the general fanbase at all.

People in the Ukraine will watch Loma BECAUSE he's Ukrainian. Nationality is not a selling point in the US. In the US the market is currently about entertainment and drama, for better or for worse. That's lost on people who don't live here.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  Something people outside the US don't understand is that the US doesn't have national heroes like almost all other countries do. That's just not in fashion here anymore. Americans really don't care where a fighter is from. In some cases (GG, Pac, etc) they like the fighters better if their are foreigners. The few pro-US hardcores you might argue with on here don't represent the general fanbase at all.

People in the Ukraine will watch Loma BECAUSE he's Ukrainian. Nationality is not a selling point in the US. In the US the market is currently about entertainment and drama, for better or for worse. That's lost on people who don't live here.
                  You say Americans don't care where a fighter is from, but from the outside looking in, it seems like they care too much about that!

Mexican Americans, by and large, are only interested in Mexican fighters. Americans with Polish, Irish, Russian, ancestry, whatever, will support fighters with the same heritage as theirs, and ignore everybody else.

I'm not talking about hardcore boxing fans there, but it seems like Americans in general, as you say, don't do national heroes, but ethnic heroes .. that's another story!

I was listening to an interview with Eddie Hearn yesterday. He was talking about how the intense and passionate atmosphere generated by boxing crowds had helped raise the popularity of the sport in the UK.

The interviewer asked him if he was hoping to replicate that in the US. Eddie replied that it would be difficult, because America is a huge country, and divided into states, so Americans don't tend to identify with a fighter and embrace him as "one of ours" just because he is American, the way UK fans do with Brit fighters.

He didn't mention ethnic divisions, but I have a theory that they are linked to what Hearn was talking about. Living in a huge country, with a huge population, divided into different states, makes it difficult for Americans to identify with other Americans simply by nationality, so they do it by ethnicity instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                    I think when TV contracts are involved, it's much more difficult! How do you tell ESPN that "I want to let Loma fight Mikey on Showtime," or tell SHO that "I want to let Spence Jr. fight Crawford on ESPN?" These networks just shelled out millions to these guys, to air shows for these fighters! It's just not realistic!

Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Mikey Garcia is a dream matchup, but it's fantasy

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...atchup-fantasy

Network exclusivity contracts have scuppered so many great fights. It would be better for the sport if they were oulawed.

Comment

Working...
                    X