• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
    I bought it but I can dig it.

ppv's should be cheap.

October 30, 1974 Muhammad Ali vs. George Foreman

50,000,000 buys $100,000,000 earned back when 100mil had 500mil's spending power. 500,000,000 adjust for inflation.

----------------------------------------------

May 2, 2015 Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao

5,773,000 buys $500,000,000 earned

Clearly it's the fans getting screwed. 5mil eyes vs 50mil....no wonder boxing had a steady die off in the states. The industry is way greedy here.
    There were also three channels back then. That fight was basically the World Cup and Super Bowl rolled into one, and advertising space was insane.

Couldn’t get those numbers on free tv anymore. Can’t get those numbers doing anything. There’s just too many options.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Wolf View Post
      Dont make excuses for being a thief.
      Thieves with Robin Hood complexes are the worst.
      Calm down Steve Rogers

Comment

Where exactly is this number pulled from? Also where were the remaining 7.1 viewers watching from?

Comment

Everybody keeps comparing the UK being approximately US$25 and in the USA it being US$75.

Has anybody ever done an equivalent match though? Are the costs/standards of living the same? Surely not. I know in one country US$10 might be the equivalent of US$5 in another country...e.g I pay $3 for a bottle of coke, yet I know in Germany the same bottle is half that price.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
            US will never price it like the UK.
            If you were gonna get it you were gonna get it. Don't matter if it was $25, $55 or $75.
            This isn’t entirely true. So people have budgets. They want to get Jordan tennis shoes but have Shaq shoe money.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
              There were also three channels back then. That fight was basically the World Cup and Super Bowl rolled into one, and advertising space was insane.

Couldn’t get those numbers on free tv anymore. Can’t get those numbers doing anything. There’s just too many options.
              I don't claim to be any sort of television expert or anything but I have been on TV a handful of times and from my experience this doesn't make sense.

There's one spot I did that's been on TLC, Channel 4, and Netflix. I got paid by TLC, Channel 4, and Netflix. If it was only on TLC not only would less eyes see me but I'd've been paid less for the spot.

Why is boxing any different?

I get that Showtime is going to want exclusivity and is willing to pay for it but I do feel like giving them that does limit the fighters in the end.

Stuff like Hearn's DAZN deal seems more like what holds back big fighters from being put on every screen more than any difficulty selling the product to a distributor.

Hearn used AJ to get more Matchroom guys on DAZN. Oscar used Canelo to do the same. They get the guy who will draw the crowd and chain him to folks people don't care about and exclusive channels folks would not otherwise be interested in.

Imagine if Hearn or Oscar didn't use their best fighters to leverage for their mediocre. Josh and Canelo would be in a stronger position to tell anyone looking for exclusives to shove it. More eyes on them, and more money for them specifically.

Like I said, I don't hardly know my ass. It'd be easy for me to accept I am very wrong but on the surface of things it seems like exclusivity is something we could do away with and would benefit the sport more than limit it.

Attaching Joshua and Canelo to other Matchroom and Golden Boy fighters to get a good deal out of DAZN is short sighted I reckon. If Joshua was as big as Ali more people would know the entire matchroom roster then what Hearn will get out of holding Joshua to the success of his other fighters. Ought to tell Sky and DAZN no more exclusive nothing. Joshua on all channels is what is good for Joshua and Joshua is too big for the channels to get pissy and snub him.

Comment

i streamed the canelo/ggg and wilder/fury fights.

but these free illegal streams go down every now and then and are not usually HD.

i'd gladly pay $25, heck maybe even $35 to watch them on ppv hd, have my non-boxing fan friends come over and enjoy it and not worry about it coming down. maybe they'll become fans after the fight who knows. it'll be funny to invite them over and keep refreshing a blurry stream.

Comment

It's very understandable since they are not fans of either fighter anyway.

Comment

I bet the viewing of those illegal streams were all fucked up with the constant buffering, freezes and pauses. Their best bet was for them to wait for someone to post the fight online a few minutes to an hour after the fight was over rather than streaming it live at real time.

Comment

Working...
                    X