No announcement yet.

Who remembers Matt Korobov?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who remembers Matt Korobov?

Great amateur that got stopped by Andy Lee a few years back and fell off the radar.

His Twiiter is sure interesting, I never knew he was so vocal then again he has to try something.
    He's begging for a fight with anyone, literally anyone from 160-168.

Calling out Charlos, Jacobs, Uzcategui, BJS, Andrade, Zurdo, Brant, Hart etc etc

Good read, give him a follow.
    https://twitter.com/matveyshhh?lang=en

I hope somebody gives him a shot, he really is high risk, low reward.

I think Peter Quilien ducked him so Lee ended up with the fight and won lol

Comment

I remember Korobov. Guy had given g one of his toughest fights in the amateurs and was looking good as a pro. Quillin vacated to avoid fighting Korobov. I think it was shortly after that though, when Korobov lost to Lee.

Checking out his Boxrec, Korobov lost to Lee in 2014. He didn't fight at all in 2015. Came back and beat Vera and a couple of bums in 2016. And didn't fight again in all of 2017. And has one fight in 2018. If Korobov wants a big fight he has to at least stay active. If Korobov can fight at the level he did pre-Andy Lee (which included a win over 168 lb. IBF champ Uzcategai) then he is high risk.

But he has only had one fight in the past two years and that was against an opponent with a record of 14-12.
      Last edited by Bardamu; 11-10-2018, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post
        That's right. He declined something outrageous like 1.5 million and vacated the belt which Lee won then Quillin went onto fight Lee for it and got a draw

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post
          Quillin didn't just duck him, he vacated a title to avoid him.

Comment

One of the bigger busts in recent times, he was supposed to be a GGG type fighter with the Top Rank hype machine behind him. Not sure why he was never pushed by Top Rank, they sometimes give up on a fighter when he shits the bed in a fight he should have won.

Comment

I was looking at Korobovs amateur record, its odd because in the amateurs he seemed to be stopping just about everybody.

He has a really unusual amount of stoppage wins at elite level, you'd of thought going off by that he could punch.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                I was looking at Korobovs amateur record, its odd because in the amateurs he seemed to be stopping just about everybody.

He has a really unusual amount of stoppage wins at elite level, you'd of thought going off by that he could punch.
                "It’s several things,” said Dunkin. “He came out looking like he was unbeatable. He came out looking like [Vasyl] Lomachenko and we thought it was going to go fast and for some reason we went through a period where he had trouble breathing, it wasn’t his ability, it was that he would fade by the second or third round and we couldn’t figure it out. It took us several years to figure out what was going on and we think we have all that solved and now he’s coming into his own. It took a while.”

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/matt...nady-golovkin/

(Dunkin was his trainer.) That was right before the Lee fight. Guess they didn't have "all that solved." He hasn't been in anything scheduled more than 8 rounds since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Bardamu View Post
                  Quillin didn't just duck him, he vacated a title to avoid him.
                  False. It went to a purse bid, Al Haymon bid something like 2.5Mil and they were out-bid by Roc Nation who submitted something upwards of 3Mil.

He was then advised not to take it because of the beef/history between Haymon and Jay-Z's wife, and was paid a lump of cash by Al Haymon on the side to do so.

Comment

Damn if you'd have told me Korobov would be less active than Quillin by 2018 back when they were lined up to fight I'd thought you were nuts, but thats whats happened its looked like.

Wtf is going on with this dude that he's fighting less than Quillin now? I know Quillin is a space cadet. Whats this cats issue?

Comment

Working...
                    X