Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Josh Taylor: I Don't Think There is Anybody That Can Stop Me!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
    Ref still should have called the foul (assuming he saw it) and acted accordingly prior to stopping the fight if that's what he saw fit to do. In no world is it OK to ignore fouls because you think the guy was gonna lose anyway.
    It wasn't a foul, or an intentional foul. Watch the punch again and again. Martin's momentum took him deep into the pocket and Taylor just threw a hook, it him at the side of the head behind the ear.... these things happen.

Taylor was breaking this guy down that round and had was close to stopping him.

IF you indicate to the ref that you are quitting, despite an unintentional "foul" you are looking for a way out.

See Taylor vs Davies or Ward vs Kovalev for guys clearly quitting after being outboxed and suffering a small "foul"

Comment

It was an early stoppage for sure, but from the referee's point of view I think it did look like Martin was more seriously hurt than he was in reality. Martin was never in the fight, he never got any kind of rhythm going & was sending out all kinds of negative body language between rounds - he didn't want to be in there.

So the way I see it, an early stoppage but not a controversial one.

Comment

Josh Taylor is a certified beast, it will take a very good fighter to beat him at 140.

Comment

Originally posted by Amber_TKO View Post
          It was an early stoppage for sure, but from the referee's point of view I think it did look like Martin was more seriously hurt than he was in reality. Martin was never in the fight, he never got any kind of rhythm going & was sending out all kinds of negative body language between rounds - he didn't want to be in there.

So the way I see it, an early stoppage but not a controversial one.
          I can't believe there are people out there that don't see this.

The referee is in there to referee and protect a fighter..... when you get outboxed by a guy and lose every round, are giving of negative body language, a ref sees it.

Martin literally folded up against the ropes and was holding the back of his head after an unintentional hook to the side of his head.

Hypothetical: If the ref allowed him to get up and called a foul, gave him a timeout in the corner to recover... he's already ****ed at that point. Tyalor would walk across the ring and finish him - possibly KO him.

For what? just so some Americans can say the ref gave him "a chance"... he had his chance, and he was totally outboxed and out of his depth.

Comment

Can't wait to see "The Beast" again! Barnchyk vs. Yigit was the FOTY!

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
              It wasn't a foul, or an intentional foul. Watch the punch again and again. Martin's momentum took him deep into the pocket and Taylor just threw a hook, it him at the side of the head behind the ear.... these things happen.

Taylor was breaking this guy down that round and had was close to stopping him.

IF you indicate to the ref that you are quitting, despite an unintentional "foul" you are looking for a way out.

See Taylor vs Davies or Ward vs Kovalev for guys clearly quitting after being outboxed and suffering a small "foul"
              I saw it as an unintentional foul, if you see it different then that's OK man, but we're in disagreement. These things can be a matter of opinion.

As a matter of general principle, though, would you agree that if the referee does see a foul committed that leads to one fighter being significantly disadvantaged it is his duty to act on that immediately irrespective of how he feels the fight may be going? IMO the correct way to act - and the one that is least contentious, is to deal with the foul first (should there be one to deal with) and then (presuming the fouled fighter is capable of continuing) to stop the fight if the referee still deems it necessary.

This excuse of 'well he was going to lose anyway' strikes me as one that could set a potentially very dangerous precedent.
              Last edited by Citizen Koba; 11-04-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Taylor is good. He is not like the usual overhyped UK bum.

Still, I want to see what he can do against Prograis.

Comment

The referee is in there to referee and protect a fighter..... when you get outboxed by a guy and lose every round, are giving of negative body language, a ref sees it.

Martin literally folded up against the ropes and was holding the back of his head after an unintentional hook to the side of his head.

Hypothetical: If the ref allowed him to get up and called a foul, gave him a timeout in the corner to recover... he's already ****ed at that point. Tyalor would walk across the ring and finish him - possibly KO him.

For what? just so some Americans can say the ref gave him "a chance"... he had his chance, and he was totally outboxed and out of his depth.
                  The hypothetical bolded is exactly what should have happened (if Loughlin did indeed see the blow and considered it a foul). He needn't have even allowed the fight to continue after the recovery time as ridiculous as that might seem, he could then have just waved it off, but it would send the clear message that A FOUL SHOULD NEVER JUST BE IGNORED.

Incidentally, I'm not American and I was rooting for Taylor to win - he's among my favourite fighters right now.

Comment

I think some people, usually those who ain't ever stepped foot in a ring before, feel cheated if they don't get a highlight reel KO. The fact neither Ryan Martin or Abel Sanchez had any problem with the stoppage kinda says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                      I saw it as an unintentional foul, if you see it different then that's OK man, but we're in disagreement. These things can be a matter of opinion.

As a matter of general principle, though, would you agree that if the referee does see a foul committed that leads to one fighter being significantly disadvantaged it is his duty to act on that immediately irrespective of how he feels the fight may be going? IMO the correct way to act - and the one that is least contentious, is to deal with the foul first (should there be one to deal with) and then (presuming the fouled fighter is capable of continuing) to stop the fight if the referee still deems it necessary.

This excuse of 'well he was going to lose anyway' strikes me as one that could set a potentially very dangerous precedent.
                      How long have you watched boxing? have you seen inside fighters throwing hooks round the side? that's what Taylor done when Martin's momentum took him into the pocket. The hook landed behind the ear and if you want to be technical/**** about it, yes, it was an illegal punch.... but you really have to be **** about it and watch it from the camera angle and NOT from the referee's angle.

The referee seen a fighter being outboxed, giving off negative body language every round, missing constantly, being outboxed from a guy barely out of second gear, cut, bleeding..... then a hook lands round the side/back while he is deep in the pocket and he complains, then folds up on the ropes. turns his back, bends over "No Mas"!

This fighter has been beaten, is being broken down, an unintentional hook hits the side/back of his head and he folds.

Can you answer my question - if you were the referee what would you have done?

Comment

Working...
                      X