Comments Thread For: Hearn on Canelo-DAZN: The Whole Game is About To Change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    I don't think its risky at all.

Canelo is getting $365M for 11 fights which will start in Dec. 2018 & go until Sept 2023 potentially.

Thats 58 months. So basically Canelo needs to steer an average of 629,941 subscribers to DAZN per month during the duration of his deal for DAZN to break even.

58mos x $9.99 = $579.42 x 629,941 people = $365M
    It looks even more risky seeing it broken down like that!

Canelo doesn't fight every month, of course. If he sticks with his usual 2 fights per year schedule, then based on your numbers, he needs to attract 3,779,646 subscribers - who wouldn't have subscribed otherwise - per fight, for his next 11 fights, for DAZN to break even on their investment.

That seems seems like a hell of a big ask to me. He averaged $35million for his last 3 fights because one was against Chavez Jr and the other 2 were risky fights against GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishOxide View Post
      Since you like pictures so much. Here.

Where's Oscar? Why is Hearn there when he's not supposed to be involved? Why is Hearn retweeting DAZN USA and Canelo regarding this announcement?
      Eric Gomez is there. It must have been him who negotiated the deal with DAZN, not Oscar.

Lol at Hearn's photo bomb with that big smug grin plastered across his mush!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Calvin View Post
        It is annoying that DAZN is only really available in the US though. I would be happy to pay for it if I could get it.
        I really wish it was available in the UK.

For £7.60 per month we could get all Hearn's UK shows - including his PPVs - plus all the big US fights that are going to end up on the app. And you can cancel then renew any time you like.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
          I really wish it was available in the UK.

For £7.60 per month we could get all Hearn's UK shows - including his PPVs - plus all the big US fights that are going to end up on the app. And you can cancel then renew any time you like.
          Yep, that’s why I liked boxnation. They brought the PBC fights over to us here, paid £10 a month until I felt they are going under. So if we (Fans) could get that without paying over the odds for PPV then am all for it. As long as the viewing quality isn’t affected.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishOxide View Post
            Since you like pictures so much. Here.

Where's Oscar? Why is Hearn there when he's not supposed to be involved? Why is Hearn retweeting DAZN USA and Canelo regarding this announcement?
            Maybe because he's being supportive because it helps him in the long run...

Boxing fans are pretty simple on average but you UK matchroom believers might take the cake

Comment

Scaling Canelo's DAZN money to his 3 previous fights seems risky to me, considering the opponents were Chavez Jr and GGG. Getting the WBC belt back from GGG will have raised his intrinsic worth, but still ..
              ... very likely like that... but whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                I don't think its risky at all.

Canelo is getting $365M for 11 fights which will start in Dec. 2018 & go until Sept 2023 potentially.

Thats 58 months. So basically Canelo needs to steer an average of 629,941 subscribers to DAZN per month during the duration of his deal for DAZN to break even.

58mos x $9.99 = $579.42 x 629,941 people = $365M
                It's really a great deal for Canelo and GBP.
                I think the people running DAZN know what they're doing but based on your calculations there is still some level of risk.

You are assuming that the 629, 941 "Canelo" subscribers will keep their subscriptions paid up for 5 years but the truth of the matter they only need to subscribe for the 11 months that Canelo will be fighting.

Granted, some of them will keep the subscription paid up because there may be other content they are interested in.

If they just use DAZN for Canelo then on the month of the fight there should be at least 3.32M subscribers to break even.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                  Yep, that’s why I liked boxnation. They brought the PBC fights over to us here, paid £10 a month until I felt they are going under. So if we (Fans) could get that without paying over the odds for PPV then am all for it. As long as the viewing quality isn’t affected.
                  Yeah, I used to get Boxnation myself for maybe 6 months of every year.

Comment

Eric Gomez is there. It must have been him who negotiated the deal with DAZN, not Oscar.

Lol at Hearn's photo bomb with that big smug grin plastered across his mush!
                    Eddie is there because it was announced at the Fielding v Canelo presser.

Those Matchroom believers are beyond thick. If I'm Eddie of course I'm going to be happy. He just got the best pitch point he could've asked for, even if he wasn't responsible for the move.

It's simple to understand from a marketing/business view.

Comment

So much salt in this thread. I bet people would be singing from a different hymn sheet if haymon secured the deal

Comment

Working...
                      X