Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hall of Fame: Rafael Marquez, Yes; Ricky Hatton, No

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they overlook SMW GOAT Sven Ottke again I'm done with boxing (HOF)

Comment

Say what you want about Sven Ottke but don't use the excuse that he only fought in Germany....otherwise we will exclude Andre Ward for only fighting in the U.S. This is the boxing hall of fame...not the U.S. boxers hall of fame. Sven may have gotten some favourable decisions...but plenty of other boxers have done so also. None of his decisions were wide enough to shout obscene robbery ala a Canelo/Mayweather score or CJ Ross scorecard. Given that he didn't have any real type of power...he survived a long time. Champions say they wouldn't go to Germany for fear of being robbed...but if they genuinely believed he was an easy outing they would have gone. Truth is he was never an easy outing. Lack of highlights aside...he was a great boxer who had an unblemished record.

Comment

Ottke is as good as Ward.

Comment

Hall of Fame, with the main point being "fame". In that case, Hatton should be in, IMO. I'd say Hatton was way more famous at his peak than Rafael Marquez ever was. Hatton commanded a huge fan crowd.

I don't think it's exclusively based on boxing skills. If it is, they should change the name to something else.
          Last edited by BoxingIsGreat; 10-13-2018, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Marquez
            Vargas
            Taylor imo

Comment

Sven Ottke: "He probably benefitted from friendly judges in a number of fights that could’ve gone the other way."

That's a scandalous statement! I hope Sven's lawyers are reading this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockybigblower View Post
                Say what you want about Sven Ottke but don't use the excuse that he only fought in Germany....otherwise we will exclude Andre Ward for only fighting in the U.S. This is the boxing hall of fame...not the U.S. boxers hall of fame. Sven may have gotten some favourable decisions...but plenty of other boxers have done so also. None of his decisions were wide enough to shout obscene robbery ala a Canelo/Mayweather score or CJ Ross scorecard. Given that he didn't have any real type of power...he survived a long time. Champions say they wouldn't go to Germany for fear of being robbed...but if they genuinely believed he was an easy outing they would have gone. Truth is he was never an easy outing. Lack of highlights aside...he was a great boxer who had an unblemished record.
                Didn’t Wardy come to U.K. to beat Froch?

Comment

Originally posted by GlassJoey View Post
                  Didn’t Wardy come to U.K. to beat Froch?
                  No, that fight was in AC.

The HOF shouldn't be judged on resume alone, its about the overall impact a fighter has on the sport, boxing is an entertainment business after all and few provided as much buzz and hype as Hatton even if he wasn't the most exciting or gifted fighter.

Comment

Jackson and Ottke are the only ones from that top ten that I would pick. All the others didn't do enough. Taylor could have been had he stayed in a lower weight class where he belonged

Comment

Originally posted by vitali1999 View Post
                      Jackson and Ottke are the only ones from that top ten that I would pick. All the others didn't do enough. Taylor could have been had he stayed in a lower weight class where he belonged
                      Hahahahaha

Ottke but not Marquez and Vargas two guys that clearly have better resumes and fights compared to Ottke who no one outside the uk has ever heard of lol

Comment

Working...
                      X