Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO's Nelson Denies Ratings Decline Was Factor To Drop Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrlopez View Post
    I didnt subscribe to HBO for strictly boxing, it was most definitely a BONUS though! & I dont know anyone who did. Theyve always had the best movies, docu's and shows. Nelson is lying out of his damned teeth!
    I subscribed to HBO only for Boxing .
    Here and there they'd have an O.K documentary . But aside from that
    Nothing I really Care to watch .

Comment

GGG - Canelo corrupt decisions might have been a factor as well . Live highway robberies have no place on TV .

Comment

So Mayweather, a guy who never fought a non PPV fight the last like 10 years, was the reason HBO boxing shut down? Lol, you fanboys are funny as fk!!!

Him going to showtime did nothing for them. They still get **** ratings even when they put good fights on their network.

Comment

Game of thrones brings in 1 billion fking dollars annually so HBO is flush with money. They just dont wanna waste their time and production money on a niche sport anymore that doesn't bring them anything in return.

Most likely the head of the company turned in to a live show and listened to Jim, Max, and Roy and decided he needed to cancel that **** immediately lol...

Comment

They gambled with the ee fighters over Floyd, Showtime invested in floyd over the (pac,ggg, kov) and lost. Or should I say Haymon WON!

Comment

Boxing just became a side hustle for HBO and they haven't really invested as much into boxing as other networks have. And not only that they don't need to, the company is fine and they are not known for boxing anyways it's more for movies, shows and documentaries etc. This could end up being a good thing for boxing in the long run, so some other company can take over or current ones come together.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
                The network decided YEARS ago that boxing wasn't really a priority anymore. (Mayweather leaving was really the critical moment.)

The ratings are not the only issue. There were other decisions that showed a clear decline in interest in boxing by the network.

1. The consistently shrinking budget.
                2. The decision not to offer boxing via streaming (While all of its other content is available on demand via streaming.)
                3. The (effectively) intentional dismissal of Top Rank from the network for the mismatch Crawford v. Postol. (Yes the network knew it was a mismatch and had no interest in the fight.)
                4. The propaganda campaign against Haymon. (via writers like Hauser who were paid by the network to write hit pieces on one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the history of media and entertainment.)

I posted here a few years ago that they'd be leaving the sport. Of course I was called crazy. But if you just look at any of their recent press releases (last few years or so) about their content, it was clear to see boxing was not a priority anymore.
                Yea agree. This was some sh^t a lot of us saw coming & some people couldn't see coming at all cuz HBO Boxing has been so important to boxing over the last several decades.

And I mean it is shocking beyond the boxing aspect. I mean how many things are still on today that were on in 197 f#cking 3? The longevity of HBO Boxing was insane & not many televised programs, sports or nah, are on that long to begin with so I can relate to the people who thought it would never leave.

Comment

Originally posted by mrlopez View Post
                  I didnt subscribe to HBO for strictly boxing, it was most definitely a BONUS though! & I dont know anyone who did. Theyve always had the best movies, docu's and shows. Nelson is lying out of his damned teeth!

you can get 1000X as much content and just as high qualityon netflix. HBO has really, really dropped off in a lot of ways. i don't watch game of thrones, but it feels like the network is super top heavy and that's what a lot of people bought it for. that wasn't the cast 3 years ago, but today it is true for most people.

once hbo started letting promoters walk the writing was on the wall. they didn't get my sub for the last 9 months or so, there was just so little boxing to watch.

Comment

It was Feminism. Boxing showcases too much Masculinity.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
                      The network decided YEARS ago that boxing wasn't really a priority anymore. (Mayweather leaving was really the critical moment.)

The ratings are not the only issue. There were other decisions that showed a clear decline in interest in boxing by the network.

1. The consistently shrinking budget.
                      2. The decision not to offer boxing via streaming (While all of its other content is available on demand via streaming.)
                      3. The (effectively) intentional dismissal of Top Rank from the network for the mismatch Crawford v. Postol. (Yes the network knew it was a mismatch and had no interest in the fight.)
                      4. The propaganda campaign against Haymon. (via writers like Hauser who were paid by the network to write hit pieces on one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the history of media and entertainment.)

I posted here a few years ago that they'd be leaving the sport. Of course I was called crazy. But if you just look at any of their recent press releases (last few years or so) about their content, it was clear to see boxing was not a priority anymore.
                      Does Haymon pay your rent? Typical ghetto crap propping up another ghetto agenda.

Comment

Working...
                      X