Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC PPV's are about to become a thing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, this poster is contradicting the future.
    This is just a common sense thing to me.
    If many people can now watch tv through internet without any cable,
    why is it far-fetch to predict that PPVs will soon become a thing of the past?

Comment

Originally posted by genrick View Post
      Wow, this poster is contradicting the future.
      This is just a common sense thing to me.
      If many people can now watch tv through internet without any cable,
      why is it far-fetch to predict that PPVs will soon become a thing of the past?
      I actually made this thread before HBO announced they're leaving boxing and before Canelo signed to DAZN.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
        I think PPV will be fine, as long as they're not overpriced and are fights the people want to see.
        Define "will be fine"?

I'm not saying PPV is gonna die. I'm just saying there isn't gonna be a 1M+ PPV star on the level of Canelo, Floyd, Manny anytime soon, like for 3-5 years down the line. a 400k, 500k PPV is gonna be a huge W for these PBC guys. The only 1M+ PPV that'll happen with Canelo gone is gonna be Floyd related.

They may do anywhere from 2 to 6 a year. I don't see them doin 12 a year as they have more dates than the UFC.
        2 is fine...if 2 makes sense. There is absolutely no way 6 PPV's a year makes sense. PBC is doing a whole new thing if they are doing 6 PPV's a year.

DEC Wilder-Fury
        JAN Pacquaio-Broner
        MAY Mayweather-Pacquaio II
        SUMMER/FALL Spence-Garcia
        I thought I heard Pacquiao vs Broner was gonna be on Fox. And idk that Spence vs Garcia is a PPV. Garcia is coming off a L.

And other potential PPV
        Joshua-Wilder
        Thurman-Spence-Crawford (any match-ups)
        Garcia-Loma
        Canelo-Charlo (if team Charlo wins purse bid)
        GGG-Charlo
        Davis-Loma
        Thurman vs Spence vs Crawford has PPV appeal in the next 12-18 months. And I can see the appeal & doability with most of these others doe.

Canelo isn't fighting off DAZN til 2023. Bet anything on that.

Possible PPV
        Charlo-Hurd
        Santa Cruz-Russell Jr
        Spence-Porter-Danny Garcia (any match ups)
        Thurman-Porter-Garcia (remstches)
        And yea idk about any of these.

But yea I think there are 2 a year potential. There is for sure not 6 a year unless PBC is going to a more UFC strategy. And even the UFC is moving away from doing so many PPV's cuz its not as viable + with streaming that you can do on your own platform its kinda dumb to give away half your revenue to PPV distributors. Cuz I mean all you are doing by doing a $50 PPV vs a $80 PPV is cutting down your sides cut from ~$40 to ~$25.

Comment

He's talking about Mikey not Danny.

But why would one even count Mayweather as PBC PPVs? He's his own entity and was never branded as PBC.

Comment

These guys still don't get it. PPV is over unless you have two big stars. With streaming its all over with. Make it like the NFL and have commercials and marketing. That way you still reach the streaming crowd. To a advertiser a view is a view.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
              These guys still don't get it. PPV is over unless you have two big stars. With streaming its all over with. Make it like the NFL and have commercials and marketing. That way you still reach the streaming crowd. To a advertiser a view is a view.
              Right.

This idea that PPV is needed to get money is ridiculous. Advertisers will flock to big fights or events regardless.

The Super Bowl generates over $600M on cable.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
                These guys still don't get it. PPV is over unless you have two big stars.
                PPV is ALWAYS doing numbers people will sh^t on like they are nothing unless its two big names. There's like under 30 fights in boxing history that did 1M+ PPV buys & most people think that means it sucks & no one made money which isn't even true if you understand the economics of it all.

With streaming its all over with.
                I agree streaming is the future, but one can easily argue thats simply a rent to own PPV model so its not like PPV is really dead cuz this is just a hybrid PPV model. All streaming does is cut out the middleman, the PPV distributor & charge you monthly vs one time. Ultimately we were paying to watch the biggest fights & we still will be.

And sh^t man boxing has virtually ALWAYS been a PPV sport. HBO & Showtime, where boxing has lived since I've been a fan are charging you money to watch their channel which includes boxing. Very few big fights have been on legit free TV, non-PPV, non-premium & non-cable or now moving forward non-paid streaming services. Plus if you go back further there was closed circuit business being a bigger thing so even back back in the day people had to pay to watch the biggest fights.

I don't think THAT much is changing as far as paying to watch boxing goes.

Make it like the NFL and have commercials and marketing. That way you still reach the streaming crowd. To a advertiser a view is a view.
                First off a view isn't a view as far as companies are concerned. There are more desirable & less desirable demographics people want. That should be a basic thing one should understand.

But if it was so easy to get regular advertisers willing to throw money at boxing you don't think that would be happening? I mean I remember when I used to watch USA Boxing back in the day & they'd show this one motor oil commercial like 12 times in 2 hours. A bunch of dudes watching 2 guys hit each other in the head isn't the most desirable demographic to advertisers.

Comment

It wont crack a mili... (Hope it does)
                  Realistically, I'd say 500k & that's being beyond generous.

Pacquiao/Broner if put on PPV would sell more.

Comment

Unless they have Spence vs Garcia, I'm not paying for anything. What other fights they gonna sell us?

I'm not buying Wilder vs Fury either, that should be on regular TV also.

And Pac Broner is another one I won't shell out $1 for. Give us something worth paying is too much to ask I guess.

Comment

What happened to free boxing?

Comment

Working...
                      X