Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO is Leaving Boxing After 45 Years, Network Announces

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of one iconic era... on to the era of open competition and the sport's growth. All boxing fans should respect what HBO built. There is no ESPN commitment, no Showtime dollars, no huge pay-per-view models to follow without them. But they were tepid and unmotivated to fight for the sport, maybe expecting the HBO name and tradition to be enough to keep them relevant. Best decision for them. A loss for boxing, but the sport is strong enough now it does not need HBO anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      Only upside to this is that I no longer have to listen to Kellerman, Lampley and Jones sucking off their house fighter and calling phantom punches. Hopefully none of the other networks pick up Kellerman and Jones. I have a feeling ESPN may give Kellerman the job at ringside. As much as I can't stand him, he's an improvement over that douchebag Mark Kriegel.
      Is it my imagination, or did Kellerman actually become worse after the First Take gig was give to him? I don't remember disliking him at all, but he was miserable during the Alvarez/Golovkin fight. Bias from the word "go".

Comment

• Originally posted by landotter View Post
        Is it my imagination, or did Kellerman actually become worse after the First Take gig was give to him? I don't remember disliking him at all, but he was miserable during the Alvarez/Golovkin fight. Bias from the word "go".
        He has always been biased. When he first came on the boxing scene he never stopped his Pernell Whitaker worship, even long after he retired. It was shameless. Every so often he does make a good point, but lately he's been calling for just about every fight to be stopped once a fighter shows the first sign he is being dominated. He and Roy got into a heated debate over it at ringside a couple times.

Comment

• Originally posted by j.razor View Post
          No jim lampley, harold ledderman & bias hbo hype jobs like Triple L is the BIGGEST reason to celebrate!! LMMFAO!
          I don't like Lampley or Harold.

At least we can agree on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
            Swap him in for Kriegel (or simply move Kreigel over to the host's chair, which may be a better fit for what he's good at) and you'd actually have a far better team, tbh.

Tessitore as the play by play, Kellerman as the color, and Timothy Bradley with the fighter's perspective.
            tessitor sucks, kriegal sucks & Bradley is up & down (I think cuz he is a company man & so is max).

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronx23 View Post
              Lot of kids and man children in this forum bro. They're always arguing over ratings and promoters. Any true boxing fan knows HBO has been pivotal in keeping boxing alive here in the states. So many legendary fights and fighters. I hate to see boxing leave any network
              Serves hbo right, after all they DON'T support their own americans…….And its because of hbo themselves that the network is closing shop....LMMFAO!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                RIP HBO Boxing, although they did leave the door open for a big fight here & there.

Been saying this was gonna happen for a long time (budget has been shrinking for 20 f#cking years & still shrinking lately as more money was coming in the sport), but its still sorta crazy to hear it as news.

Max seems to have been the only guy who's seen the writing on the wall & gots other gigs already outside of boxing. Maybe he won't even f#ck with boxing again or PBC, DAZN, Showtime or ESPN is gonna have a bidding war for his services. Since he's already down with ESPN I suppose he might land there.

RJJ & Jim will surely land somewhere else if they wish to. Or at least they should. I hope HBO isn't gonna keep them out a year or w/e with a non-compete or to keep them locked in if they do show Canelo vs GGG III in 2019 or something like that

And I'd assume this means Jim's show is off the air to, but did they say anything about that?
                F jim. He is part of the reason hbo looks bad with his bias self. Max is just a company man that will say whatever the script is & Roy bites his tongue cuz he doesn't say what he really wants to say....

Comment

• Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                  Ah yeah, gonna miss the 24/7 stuff
                  Wasn't the same when Floyd left anyways....LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                    Will always remember the beginning of BAD with Barrera-McKinney , the Gatti fights, being excited for months about Mayweather-Manfready and the heavyweight slugfest between Ibaebuchi and Tua and so much more.

I choose to remember that HBO, and they were gone for a long time so it was painful to me to see them where they were. So part of me is glad but still very sad to see them go they truly did build stars one round at a time.
                    They also build fake stars....

Comment

• Originally posted by j.razor View Post
                      Serves hbo right, after all they DON'T support their own americans…….And its because of hbo themselves that the network is closing shop....LMMFAO!
                      lol dude theyre not shutting down the network are you slow ? lol

Comment

Working...
                      X