No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO is Leaving Boxing After 45 Years, Network Announces

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
    Damn we all guessed this, but it's sad to see it's actually happening.
    Originally posted by Szef View Post
    End of an era.
    Originally posted by Mushroom View Post
    Wow this is a shame

all of this.

it's been a long time coming, but it is still shocking and a shame. hbo has been a big part of boxing for decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      Haymon controls Showtime/CBS and FOX/FS1 and he's not messing with Oscar's unreliable ass, and Bob Arum controls ESPN and we know how that relationship has been too. It's unclear what Eddie Hearn and Oscar's relationship is, but I doubt that Hearn let's Oscar get anywhere near running his own shows on DAZN with his own billion dollar deal not yet secure.

Ignore the reality all you want, but Oscar is ****ed.

Hand the keys over to Eric Gomez to run, go back to simply being the figurehead who hopefully more quietly goes on his benders, and hope against hope that Espinoza or someone has fond enough memories of Gomez to actually pick up the call, lol.

Beyond that, if you honestly want to weigh out pockets, let's weigh out pockets, fool.
      That is a very good question. Where does Oscar goes from here? So far Arum has offered him an invitation to host the trilogy bout between Canelo vs GGG on ESPN and Eddie Hearn wants to bid on Canelo Alvarez' services for fighting on DAZN network; Which is almost impossible to do since Canelo is an exclusive PPV fighter; He won't be to match his guarantee.

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
        I have a feeling that he knew HBO was stepping out of boxing, and thats why he went into full fangirl annoying max mode in the GGG vs Canelo 2 broadcast.
        Exactly, he was toeing the company line for HBO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          Haymon controls Showtime/CBS and FOX/FS1 and he's not messing with Oscar's unreliable ass, and Bob Arum controls ESPN and we know how that relationship has been too. It's unclear what Eddie Hearn and Oscar's relationship is, but I doubt that Hearn let's Oscar get anywhere near running his own shows on DAZN with his own billion dollar deal not yet secure.

Ignore the reality all you want, but Oscar is ****ed.

Hand the keys over to Eric Gomez to run, go back to simply being the figurehead who hopefully more quietly goes on his benders, and hope against hope that Espinoza or someone has fond enough memories of Gomez to actually pick up the call, lol.

Beyond that, if you honestly want to weigh out pockets, let's weigh out pockets, fool.
          😂 you silly girl! How stupid can you really be??
          You don't think ESPN and showtime are making calls as we speak to Golden Boy promotions to bring them to their network??

I'm sure you don't wanna believe that cause you're just a hater but who wouldn't want Canelo on their network? Who wouldn't want Ryan Garcia on their network? Who wouldn't want Linares, JoJo Diaz, Munguia, Vergil Ortiz, and other fighters in the Golden Boy stable on their network?
          Think about it you dumb fool!
          I know you're a hater but use your brain for once and use common sense!
          How stupid can you really be to think other networks aren't licking their chops at the thought of signing the biggest star in boxing??
          Just think about it you fool!

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            I wonder what they’re gonna do after Game of Thrones ends? There isn’t going to be much of a reason to have HBO at all.
            People said the same thing after The Sopranos ended, and again after The Wire. They always come up with unique shows. As Nelson said, they're a story-telling platform first and foremost. They have the best writers in the industry and greenlit shows pass stringent quality controls by network execs. That's why Netflix is still pumping out a hundred new shows a week and still can't match them for quality: crap writers, crap acting, utter dreck with no substance. Keep your subscription. If I could get HBO in the UK I'd sign up for it in a heartbeat.

Comment

• I grew up watching HBO boxing, no other network put on better quality presentation of the sport then they did, full of unforgettable dramatic moments & fights. Hats off to the production staff & to the play by play men & analysts of past & present: Tompkins, Merchant, Lamply, Kellerman & the detailed insight of Roy & Andre. You will be missed.

https://youtu.be/OFDdJePmhBs

Comment

• HBO executes failed...they are to blame.

Comment

• Boxing is more important than any network. Good bye HBO

Comment

• I keep thinking back to when HBO started televising boxing in the 70's. They were the kings back then and can remember several times back in the late 70's and into the mid 80's going over to friends houses who had HBO just to watch the fights.It's the end of an era for sure but that era really ended a long time ago.Good memories. Thank you HBO.

Comment

• wow, haymon killed HBO

Comment

Working...
                      X