Comments Thread For: HBO is Leaving Boxing After 45 Years, Network Announces

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy.

Shit.

You knew it was coming but wow. End of a dynasty.

Should have promoted Lou Dibella.

Comment

the current HBO is a long way away from the glory days of the 80s and 90s. This current product was a joke from top to bottom with lampley roy jones and kellermen being the worst offenders.

good riddance.

Comment

Honestly, HBO let pride get in the way of business! They wanted more value for their money that they were giving Al Haymon. The Andre Berto Fights were really a thorn in their throats. However, no one at their Network had the stomach to play the long game! HBO just lost the will to fight! You might be right, their energy might be best served creating another Game of Thrones, and using their budget to fight off Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Comment

I mean, we all saw it declining rapidly, but getting this news still stings a bit. If they still care about boxing fans, they should rerun a slew of classic fights until the first of the year.

I wouldn't mind seeing some fights from the glory days....Pac/Morales trilogy, Gatti/Ward trilogy, Cotto fights, Mayweather fights, Pac fights, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrij View Post
            Thats right. IMO Main Events will move to ESPN and there we get brilliant LHW title Unification because of Kovalev,Bivol and Gvozdyk fighting on the same network soon.
            ... Stevenson, Beterbiev, and Alvarez all ending up on FOX/FS1 and Showtime/CBS, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Andrij View Post
              Thats right. IMO Main Events will move to ESPN and there we get brilliant LHW title Unification because of Kovalev,Bivol and Gvozdyk fighting on the same network soon.
              ... or Stevenson, Beterbiev, and Alvarez all ending up on FOX/FS1 and Showtime/CBS, lol

Comment

looks like all that dick sucking roy and max did to canelo didn't pay off

Comment

“Our audience research informs us that boxing is no longer a determinant factor for subscribing to HBO.”
                  As I've posted before...HBO Boxing was Getting Ratings By Default from people leaving their Cable or Satellite Dish Boxes on HBO from watching something previously before maybe going out or something but NO HBO Boxing is not a Draw for that Network at all. Going away from American and Latin fighters to show more International Fighters was a HUGE MISTAKE! Me as a hardcore fan, I loved it but the Casual American Sports fans won't care about some Foreign who last name they can't pronounce scoring a Knockout over another guy they never heard of

As a boxing fans I can't really say I'm happy about this at all even though we kinda seen it coming, the more networks and budgets boxing have open the better. However, Peter Nelson and Jim Lampley ruined HBO Boxing and drove that thing into the Ground.

Makes you appreciate Espinoza and Showtime, DAZN and ESPN/ESPN+ are doing even more, to be committed to a sport that is not as popular as it once and seems to be declining but I guess they hope the payoff is that one day they get an Event as big as Mayweather vs Pacquiao and Cash In on it

Comment

Now hopefully, Jim Lampley can devote more time to his production company or just enjoy retirement as Larry Merchant has because right Uncle Al is running shit. The only one I see who has a future on the broadcasting side of boxing is Roy Jones, Jr because he is a boxing expert. Lampley and Kellerman are just broadcaster fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by clemenza View Post
                      Lets be honest folks, HBO Boxing has been finished since the Late Arturo Gatti Retirement. Arturo carried that network for along with Shane Mosely & Roy Jones for a decade. The only positive is I never have to hear Harold Lederman and those 2 ultra Radicals Lampley & Kellerman.
                      Lampley cooled his leftist views on air but Max was total garbage. That network is full of liberal poop. Now stick with Bill Maher & all there other anti American programs. Real Sport with Bryant Gumble . That’s is quality programming.
                      Adios, and take Oscar Delahoya with you.
                      And that’s that
                      Arturo Gatti?? Stop. The guy was blood and guts but at no point was he the premier star on hbo. After the Tyson and Chavez eras it was Oscar delahoya, felix Trinidad and Lennox Lewis who carried the network. Tbh, floyd leaving during the height of his popularity for his last 6-7 fights hurt them. All they have now is Canelo and it doesn't look like he has any opponents left with the name recognition that would do huge numbers like Floyd and pac did.

Comment

Working...
                      X