Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: WBC Prez Clarifies Position on Banning Fathers as Trainers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: WBC Prez Clarifies Position on Banning Fathers as Trainers

In early September WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman said that the sanctioning body was conducting an ongoing pilot program, doing interviews and gathering data - following a proposal made during the WBC's Miami convention, regarding parents in the corner of a fighter as chief seconds.
    [Click Here To Read More]

That's a rubbish suggestion. The best fighter to ever lace gloves Floyd Mayweather was trained by the best boxing trainer ever born Floyd Mayweather Sr his own father and every time Sr is in the corner Floyd was flawless. Let fighters choose their own trainers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Tom View Post
      That's a rubbish suggestion. The best fighter to ever lace gloves Floyd Mayweather was trained by the best boxing trainer ever born Floyd Mayweather Sr his own father and every time Sr is in the corner Floyd was flawless. Let fighters choose their own trainers.
      Floyd Mayweather Sr? whos he trained other than his son?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam21 View Post
        Ricky Hatton going into the Pac fight

Comment

Sulaiman's talking out of his plus-sized ass. A boxer having his dad as a trainer present's no more danger than any other trainer would. What he should consider is what best suits the individual boxer is different for everybody. Mayweather and Calzaghe both retired undefeated and their dad's were in the corner for the majority of their fights. Shawn Porter seems to be doing alright with his old man in the corner, Danny Garcia less so but they've been successful in the past.
          Where I draw the line is with the Eubank's, and that's because there's never any coaching given only confusing attempts at philosophical musings. Eubank Snr is far more interested in staying in the limelight himself than giving his son the best chance of staying in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam21 View Post
            He did well with De La Hoya and I think I remember him training Chad Dawson when Chad was doing really well

Comment

WBC would do this after FMJ retired.. they even made special belts for this dude while his dad was in his corner.. WBA & IBF are becoming more popular anyway...

Comment

What tragedies are these?

I think boxers such as Joe Calzaghe would have counted it a blessing to have his father the late Enzo in the corner watching his back.

Given boxing's many problems, this is a daft thing to look into.

Comment

Man, he just needs to STFU with all that cryin'! Fighters can quit in fights, the ringside doctor can stop it, or the ref himself can stop it.

A father in the corner does NOT equal, "I'm gonna put myself in further danger so I won't let him down". If that's the case, then why did Rozier allow Sadam Ali to take a beating in rounds 2, 3, and 4 of the Mungia fight? Rozier's not his father and still let that go on.

What about Bradley fighting on inline skates against Ruslan? What about when Pascal got his ass battered in both Kovalev fights? No fathers were present and damage was still done, so what's his point???

Comment

Sulaiman never fails to prove his stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                    X