Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua-Alexander Povetkin: Afterthoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No escaping Povetkin really wanted this, prepared well, appeared inury free, had nice warm up against price coming in. Yeah he’s older, but with that comes experience, he didn’t look slow or weary until AJ wore him down. It was the same with Klitschko, he was old but came in prepped well.

If I just look at AJ’s record vs that of Wilder or Fury, AJ has been well managed and built his experience well against different styles and the standard of opponents has been higher. Even if you believe technically and physically Wilder is the same, the experience could be a telling factor at this point for AJ.

Against Fury, who knows, he’s impossible to train for and it all depends if he shows up on the night. I personally think AJ being more level minded would out psyche Fury and get the win, but it’d be interesting if maybe a little boring contest.

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
      I would need to dig deeper for more examples, and this one goes a while back, but try watching Hagler/Minter and explain how the referee (who was scoring the fight) had Minter up after 2 rounds lol !

As for Joshua, I didn't see anything in rounds 1,2,3,5 to give to him. 4,6 yes. 4-2 Povetkin for me. Anyway, kind of irrelevant given the ending. Its an odd fight as it feels like if they fought 100 times it would end the same way every time - I thought Povetkin was up, but he was never going to get the ko he was looking for (imo - credit to Joshua there, Povetkin was never going to get him clean enough to end the fight), and Povetkin was never going to keep it up after 6. Maybe 1 in 100 Povetkin gets that good-night punch home, but the rest he fades and gets clocked himself.
      Hagler/Minter?? Damn, you are going back a long time.

Did they really have Minter ahead? That's crazy if true. Hagler lit him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
        Yet Joshua should go to the most corrupt country on the planet which is the US?

Ortiz was clearly winning their fight, yet the judges had Wilder winning. So yeah.
        I agree, Wilder was clearly outboxed in every round by Ortiz, other than the 2 that Ortiz went down in. Bearing in mind the fight ended the 2nd time Ortiz went down (10th round I think) that round wouldn't have counted toward the total either.

Comment

Hagler/Minter?? Damn, you are going back a long time.

Did they really have Minter ahead? That's crazy if true. Hagler lit him up.
          2 judges had Hagler up 20-19, and the ref had Minter up 20-19, so among other things, that suggests from the 6 scored rounds there were THREE 10-10s.

I never looked for the round-by-round scorecards, but given how much Hagler landed on him in the second round, I can only guess that 2 judges had the first round 10-10, and the ref gave it to Minter, then the two judges gave it 10-9 Hagler in the second, while the ref figured it was 10-10 in the second. Anyway, long time ago, but I remember it well (not just for the scorecards of course, the debacle at the end was one of the most embarrassing things in UK boxing history).

Comment

I think Boxing Scene's scorecard of Povetkin 58-56 for 6 rounds is closer to reality. As for Joshua's future, a Whyte rematch would be great before the Wilder fight IMO. And for Povetkin, I've said before he can make some huge paydays still, in Russia, vs Parker, Ortiz, Miller, Ruiz etc. And I hope he goes for it. The only crapola fight he was ever in was vs Huck from not training properly... and possibly the Wlad fight... but that was because of Wlad chickening out and leaning on him so much. He should've been penalized for that. Just like he should've for fouling Ibragimov repeatedly.

Comment

Oh please, Ortiz is a lot bigger, stronger, and skilled than Povetkin, plus he's a southpaw.

There's a reason that everybody fights Povetkin and yet only Wilder was willing to get in with Ortiz, in spite of the fact that King Kong calls everybody out.

Comment

Originally posted by thabanga510 View Post
                Ortiz would have smashed that Povetkin.
                Why cos he pinged wilder round the ring Beyonce wilder ran till the old man gassed out then used his impressive power and luckily got that win povektein has fought much better fighters than Ortiz dave Allen nearly took him the distsnce says it all about him really

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
                  Two judges had Joshua 4-2 up and one had him 5-1 up after 6.

Once again the boxing judging system on show as the train wreck that it is.

Or maybe once again, the judges are so superior in their knowledge of boxing that the rest of us maggots have no idea what we are seeing.
                  Also, if I understood correctly, they were all British judges.

Comment

Ortiz couldn't even make easy work against a bum in Jennings. He lost 2 rounds in that fight. Against a bum. Povetkin will take advantage of Ortiz only having 2 rounds of stamina by making him work from the off. After 3 rounds Ortiz would be spent and knocked out only for Wilder fans to claim Ortiz wasn't the same after he beat him so the win means nothing.
                    At this stage, Ortiz is the fresher fighter of the two. Povetkin is well past his top form. I agree, it would have been a hell of a fight several years ago, but Povetkin has been at it since 2004. Ortiz began his career in 2010. The point being that Ortiz is a tougher fight RIGHT NOW and I believe he would retire Povetkin for good.

To prove it, let's have Ortiz fight Joshua in April because neither Wilder or Fury will fight for anything less than 50% (so no deal for April). Besides, the winner of Wilder-Fury will have to fight the WBC mandatory anyway, then rematch later in 2019 so Joshua can fight whoever he wants. My guess is Whyte, since Hearn is building him up as the most deserving. Conveniently, Whyte is also the WBO mandatory, due next...

Comment

Originally posted by sportbuddha View Post
                      Can we please stop with the Ortiz hype, the guy beat frickin no one, held nothing, had not even had a proper title fight until he was in his 40s ffs and his much idolised amateur heritage includes nada, didn’t even get onto the olympic team bus.
                      Ortiz has no achievement what's so ever to be hyped by wilder boys because he lost to wilder.

Some will say a prime Ortiz would have done this or that and I ask, did Ortiz just started boxing? Where has he been all this while? In his so called prime days, what did he do? Who did he beat?

No wilder fan boy could answer any of this questions but they want us to believe he is a bogeyman. Am not buying into that crap.
                      Ortiz is nothing but a gatekeeper and an under achiever.

That's all.

Comment

Working...
                      X