Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At this point, has Canelo redeemed and/or further solidified his status as elite?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes.

and

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      As far as I am concerned he has. He said the failed test was due to bad meat and I believe him. He is not a drug cheat and never was in my opinion. I don't blame GGG for being pissed over the failed tests.Everyone must make up their own mind about Canelo's quilt or innocence. I thought GGG won the fight but Canelo fought better than last fight with improved stamina and punches thrown per round after they no doubt tested the hell out of him. That tells me that he has never cheated in any fight but he trained harder and improved for the 2nd GGG fight.
      His body before and after show he was juicing. You dont lose muscle in that fashion just because you want to shrink a little.

Comment

Originally posted by jcj0427 View Post
        im a boxing fan entitled to have my opinion. thats who the f*** i am. And your PED boy Nelo lost both fights.
        Well, you have an avatar of that bum Matthysse

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          I like Canelo's style and think he's really overlooked in the technical dept. But, he's not elite. He struggled with Golovkin (and probably should have lost 2x). Golovkin being a guy who is good, but I never classified as great. He struggled with Lara. Had his hands full with a worn down version of Cotto. Wasn't even close to being competitive with a small fighter in Mayweather. And just phoned in an easy fight with Chavez.

For him to be elite, he needs to either dominate high level fighters or pass the eye test in magnificent ways. He doesn't have the skills of a Crawford or Loma (whose talents exceed their resumes). He has obvious stamina issues which elite class fighter just don't have. I'm not saying Canelo won't be elite some day, but clearly not now.

Here's a bit of logic for you; look at what people thought of him before the 2nd GG fight. He was thought to be a cheat who just came off a robbery draw. You must think GG is godly if they consider a controversial win enough to put Canelo into the elite category in just this one fight. Don't get lost in the afterglow of a W.

And, if you think his P4P status makes him elite, then remember GG placed #1 P4P not long ago. Top 5 P4P doesn't not = elite. Just means they are hot at the moment.
          I see a lot of where you are coming from but I stop short of not calling him elite. I think he is elite but I don't consider him a truly generational talent. We probably rate him similarly just terminology is different.

I think you've got to look at a number of things. IMO he has excellent skills, some really good tools but he's never separated himself when in with a fellow elite. Like many I felt Lara beat him and like the majority I felt GGG beat him twice. I also scored Trout as a winner over him but he's improved a lot since then. That's an arguable 5 loss fighter (consensus would say 3 or 4) and I know a lot of posters think 1 loss is terrible and 2 means you suck and should retire.

The PED tests also have to factor in because in the one fight AFTER that there's a large amount of debate (i.e the majority) as to whether he even won and that's against an aging GGG who most Canelo backers on this forum insisted was a terrible fighter even in his prime.

So yeah if GGG was so bad how did Canelo require a gift draw and disputed decision against an old version of him? I doubt those people are going to start giving GGG props now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican_Puppet View Post
            Well, you have an avatar of that bum Matthysse
            and what exactly does that have to do with anything? even more reason to believe PED-positive Ginger has the dumbest fans.

Comment

Originally posted by jcj0427 View Post
              and what exactly does that have to do with anything? even more reason to believe PED-positive Ginger has the dumbest fans.
              That you does not know about boxing... PED positive? hahaha poor clown.

Comment

redeemed yes. elite no. need to see more in the weight class ( has mostly fought welter weights and at the 155)

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
                  Close or not he has a win over Golovkin.Sure his opposition has been shaky in the past, but going forward and as of now, is Canelo a top dog in your eyes?
                  No. Canelo has had 3 fights with over 1 million PPV viewers. In the minds of the majority he lost 12, 10 and 8 rounds in these 2 fights.

While he has improved since he lost to Floyd, I don't think the majority of fans see him as elite given the above and his very questionable win against Lara.

Comment

Without a doubt, he’s elite.

Comment

100% yes. I thought he lost both GGG fights but he fought the second fight much better. One thing about Canelo is he is always taking the hard fights that a guy with his status doesn't need to take and he's always adding new wrinkles to his game. He is elite and obviously still improving every fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X