Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At this point, has Canelo redeemed and/or further solidified his status as elite?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    I like Canelo's style and think he's really overlooked in the technical dept. But, he's not elite. He struggled with Golovkin (and probably should have lost 2x). Golovkin being a guy who is good, but I never classified as great. He struggled with Lara. Had his hands full with a worn down version of Cotto. Wasn't even close to being competitive with a small fighter in Mayweather. And just phoned in an easy fight with Chavez.

For him to be elite, he needs to either dominate high level fighters or pass the eye test in magnificent ways. He doesn't have the skills of a Crawford or Loma (whose talents exceed their resumes). He has obvious stamina issues which elite class fighter just don't have. I'm not saying Canelo won't be elite some day, but clearly not now.

Here's a bit of logic for you; look at what people thought of him before the 2nd GG fight. He was thought to be a cheat who just came off a robbery draw. You must think GG is godly if they consider a controversial win enough to put Canelo into the elite category in just this one fight. Don't get lost in the afterglow of a W.

And, if you think his P4P status makes him elite, then remember GG placed #1 P4P not long ago. Top 5 P4P doesn't not = elite. Just means they are hot at the moment.
    This ^. Canelo is a fine fighter and perhaps maturing into elite, but I'm not sure he'll ever have that extra something that'll put him head and shoulders above the pack.. all of his best wins have been a least a little controversial and it'd be easy to see him with one or two more losses (albeit against good opponents) without the benefit of favourable judging. As you say, if you didn't consider a prime Golovkin elite (and even as a fan I'm borderline on that one) at 32 or 33 how can you call Canelo elite when he went so tight (a Loss and a Draw is probably the probably the most broadly accepted call) against an aging GGG?

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
      Close or not he has a win over Golovkin.Sure his opposition has been shaky in the past, but going forward and as of now, is Canelo a top dog in your eyes?
      I think so. I don't think it takes away from the suspicion of him possibly cheating in the past, but it shows that even if he did, he didn't need to.

Comment

Don’t let this distract you from the fact that the Golovkin overhype finished off HBO boxing

Comment

Yeah he's elite no question. The question is did he beat Golovkin. IMO no. Canelo had all the advantages. A side judging, hand speed, slight reach over Golovkin, youth, choice of venue etc. Couldn't get it done. Even if you accept the judges decisions it wasn't impressive against a 36 year old fighter. That's not including that he couldn't hurt Golovkin never mind KO him as he promised.

Comment

He fought like a man, but is a PED user and lost the 2 fights. You tell me.

Comment

hell yeah , no doubt about it...he beat GGG at his own game, that's the most impressive of it all for me

i have to admit tho , i suspect he was on some PED

but elite skills nonetheless

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                This ^. Canelo is a fine fighter and perhaps maturing into elite, but I'm not sure he'll ever have that extra something that'll put him head and shoulders above the pack.. all of his best wins have been a least a little controversial and it'd be easy to see him with one or two more losses (albeit against good opponents) without the benefit of favourable judging. As you say, if you didn't consider a prime Golovkin elite (and even as a fan I'm borderline on that one) at 32 or 33 how can you call Canelo elite when he went so tight (a Loss and a Draw is probably the probably the most broadly accepted call) against an aging GGG?
                Broadly accepted call jajajajajaja

This people is fu.cking pathetic.

Cotto had stamina issue and was a élite.

And all the fighters had close fights against elite rivals

Comment

Golovkin's elite, so is Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican_Puppet View Post
                    Broadly accepted call jajajajajaja

This people is fu.cking pathetic.

Cotto had stamina issue and was a élite.

And all the fighters had close fights against elite rivals
                    Depends how you define 'elite' I guess... fuckin pathetic huh? Some people have no manners.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                      Depends how you define 'elite' I guess... fuckin pathetic huh? Some people have no manners.
                      Élite is a fighter proven in the highest level.

A P4P fighter, Canelo is #1 right now.

He has a lot of tools that you are forggeting

Comment

Working...
                      X