No announcement yet.

Number of Punches Determines a Winner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DARKSEID View Post
    At the 1:46 mark of the last round. Canelo landed an uppercut on golovkin and then followed up with a combination. 20 seconds later canelo was pushing forward trying to win the fight and golovkin backed off, even though he either knew he needed a ko or he knew he needed to win the round. Canelo was standing there like "come on dude, are we going to go to war or what? Do i have to chase you?"

another sequence after that, canelo was pushing forward again and golovkin backed off again.

Golovkin was clearly hurt. Your point just got disproved.
    Completely wrong and flat a lie. Just didn't happen chief. I watched the 12 rd again last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
      So the three judges Saturday night did the right thing in your opinion?

We need a measuring stick to objctively state a winner. Right now, we have nothing. Every SOB out there thinks he knows how to score a fight and in the end, it's up to three people's opinion. You don't get that with other sports. There are points and they are scored and that determines the winner. With Boxing and MMA(don't know what I'd do there), we have opinions. No wonder such controversy.
      No, like I said, I feel like GGG landed the better shots on top of landing a lot more. GGG may have been hurt by a couple body shots but to me, he played it off well. I think the judges just gave Canelo more credit because their pockets were lined with Golden Boy money. Hopkins made sure that MW defense record tie didn't leave his ledger. GGG won and I think with the punch stats and the presses overwhelming opinion that he did, it's a well supported opinion. Canelo fought great, but GGG fought better.

On a side note, a 28 year old GGG would have knocked Canelo out in 3 rounds or less. His reflexes and speed are a distant memory compared to how they once were.

Comment

No they don't.

If you have the best defense and ring generalship anyone has ever seen and the other guy did more damage and outlanded you or landed the better shots, you still lost the round.
        If you have the best defense and ring generalship, you don't get outlanded or take a lot of damage, and win rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
          Three different guys.

Three different opinions on how to score a fight.

You have to have some objective device to measure.

I posted tons of examples on how the guy most thought won, landed the most punches time and again. Number of punches doesn't tell the entire story but it's a much simpler, less complicated measuring stick when it comes to judging a fight. What do you have now? Everyone looks at different criteria.
          Every time I've heard about judging criteria in the media, defense and ring generalship are mentioned as factors along with punches landed.

I don't think they have "different criteria", I just think they value them differently. Lederman likes "going forward" fighters, Adelaide Byrd likes Canelo backwards or forwards, it's all subjective instead of "objective".

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post
            If you have the best defense and ring generalship, you don't get outlanded or take a lot of damage, and win rounds.
            You don't score defense and ring generalship by themselves. You score damage.

You score the guy landing.

For example if one guy has the best defense in the entire world, and he makes the other guy land only 10 punches and miss 100, but the guy defending only landed 2 and threw 5, the guy who landed 10 wins the round.

Comment

Juan Manuel Marquez would have been 3-1 vs. Manny Pacquiao. He out landed Manny in their first two fights. I think effective power punches, and winning the round is a good way to determine a winner.

Comment

You don't score defense and ring generalship by themselves. You score damage.

You score the guy landing.

For example if one guy has the best defense in the entire world, and he makes the other guy land only 10 punches and miss 100, but the guy defending only landed 2 and threw 5, the guy who landed 10 wins the round.
                That may be true but your example is a little extreme, if it's a case where the numbers are closer, the defense has a bigger effect on the outcome.

That's why there's always so much controversy.

I'm like Lederman and prefer a fighter that presses the action, but I have to respect the 2 other factors along with punches landed.

Comment

Mayweather was heavily outnumbered in power punches vs. Castillo in fight I (and in overall shots) and slightly outnumbered vs. Maidana in fight I but I've never seen a Mayweather fan score those fights against Floyd yet I've not seen a Floyd fan score GGG as winner in either bout so I think some fans are just inconsistent.

Comment

It would make it more objective and easier to verify via replay but it would fundamentally change the sport.

Boxers would play it even more safe than they do now, to land light punches (since they'd be worth the same as hard ones) without getting hit in return.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                      Mayweather was heavily outnumbered in power punches vs. Castillo in fight I (and in overall shots) and slightly outnumbered vs. Maidana in fight I but I've never seen a Mayweather fan score those fights against Floyd yet I've not seen a Floyd fan score GGG as winner in either bout so I think some fans are just inconsistent.
                      I don't think you're looking that closely then. I've definitely seen Mayweather fans who scored the fights for GGG.

Also, the compubox is pretty terrible so if that's what you're referring to when you are saying Mayweather got "heavily" outpunched by Castillo then I can see why you are so confused.

I don't know anyone that honestly believes Maidana landed more punches than Mayweather and I doubt even you do deep down.
                      Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 09-18-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X