No announcement yet.

How the Kovalev deal to fight on ESPN was made

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
    I think shes battling to keep her last crumb of relevance. Got Kovalev signed up to HBO despite him expressing a wish to do the WBSS. Kovalev wins and hes on DAZN, the WBSS comes up again and she aint got **** to promote. ESPN shes still got a promoting job to do.

Hooker/Saucedo was a bit of a crazy one, doubt he thought Arum would go that high, knows now Arum aint ****ing around. Hearn got taught a lesson.

It aint all one way traffic though, Parker pulled out of the Jennings fight to go to Hearn. Pacquiao gunna go to Hearn, this Mayweather stuff bull****.
    She knows if Kovalev wins more people will see it on ESPN than on DAZN. If he loses more people will see it on ESPN. She wants more eyeballs on her fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
      Pacquiao gunna go to Hearn, this Mayweather stuff bull****.
      Yea if Hearn doesn't get Pacquiao he's definitely dropping the ball too much.

Although I'm not entirely confident Floyd vs Manny 2 don't go down as f#cking nuts as that might sound. I used to be a pro at calling Floyd's shots, but I never thought Floyd vs Manny 1 would go down or obviously Floyd vs Conor. Both those fights have come & gone doe.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        Hearn is taking so many L's with his whole US run. I expect some growing pains, but I'm not sure he's had a W yet outside of the deal with DAZN itself.
        His other win

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          She knows if Kovalev wins more people will see it on ESPN than on DAZN. If he loses more people will see it on ESPN. She wants more eyeballs on her fighter.
          Why do you want more eyes vs more money on a old guy who's lost 3 of his last 5 fights doe? Shouldn't old past prime guys be grabbing the bigger check today cuz tomorrow isn't guaranteed?

To me that logic doesn't add up. Unless Kathy is ******ed which is in the ballpark of my opinion of her OR Hearn isn't offering as much money as his budget would have you thinking he would.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            His other win

F#ck Benedict Buffer.

But yea that was a W & I gotta say the Canelo vs GGG weigh in fell flat to me cuz Buffer wasn't there. Kinda crazy that with all that money the best US acqusition was the guy ANNOUNCING the fights vs the mfers fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger1 View Post
              The Fox deal was for 22 shows with a budget of $60m, 10 of those marquee fight nights. So even if the budget is $4m for the marquee fight nights, they're not going to be able to compete with what Hearn can offer on his smaller shows when he's splitting $125m over 16 shows.
              I don't believe those numbers. First it started off as a billion dollar deal over 8 years. Then it came out that only 2 years are guaranteed. Nobody put any effort into investigating those numbers they way they investigated PBC's time buys

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger1 View Post
                Maybe Eddie is being smart and letting everyone shoot their load? I'm sure there's nothing in the DAZN deal that says he has to blow the full $125m a year. If it is truly an 8 year deal then he can afford to be patient and make the right deals for Matchroom and DAZN. When all the Haymon fighters realise the Fox deal won't do anything for them and I think we'll see a lot of them move to DAZN.
                How will the FOX deal not do anything for them? It essentially is what was at SHO with the license fees. So the PBC gets double the dates as it has had the last few years.

Make no mistake, Hearn has tried to go after Haymon guys hard, and went after this fight hard. He for one had no idea how much money Haymon fighters were making and then like I mentioned earlier underestimated proven fighters not wanting to fight on such a small platform.

Hearn obviously has a lot of money, but one thing that hasn't been made clear is if the $125 million per year is for the license fees or in totality? Like for example, he mentioned they will use up to $50 million in marketing. So is that separate from the $125 million?

Point blank, he is up against it and has thus far been humbled. He will need to adjust his plan a bit and wait until DAZN becomes proven. Problem with that? Only way it happens is if it picks up rights to other major sports leagues and those rights aren't open until 2021 or 2022.

Comment

Why do you want more eyes vs more money on a old guy who's lost 3 of his last 5 fights doe? Shouldn't old past prime guys be grabbing the bigger check today cuz tomorrow isn't guaranteed?

To me that logic doesn't add up. Unless Kathy is ******ed which is in the ballpark of my opinion of her OR Hearn isn't offering as much money as his budget would have you thinking he would.
                  Because with a win and good ratings she can get another deal for Kovalev. It's a risk she pretty much has to take at this point. What good is a win on a platform with maybe 100k people watching? It's a risk but she has to take it at this point.

And I'm not even sure how much money he was offered from DAZN. I'm starting to doubt all these numbers that came out. People were basically writing Eddie Hearn's press release. Nobody has actually put the effort into investigating those numbers

Comment

Yea if Hearn doesn't get Pacquiao he's definitely dropping the ball too much.

Although I'm not entirely confident Floyd vs Manny 2 don't go down as f#cking nuts as that might sound. I used to be a pro at calling Floyd's shots, but I never thought Floyd vs Manny 1 would go down or obviously Floyd vs Conor. Both those fights have come & gone doe.
                    It may go down, but not in the way people on the forum thinking, December. Haymon on the phone to him right now saying "what the hell you doing im supposed to be announcing Wilder/Fury on Monday, as if I aint got enough problems with Tank and Broner running wild"

Comment

I'm guessing Duva believes a Kovalev win gets him another two or so fight deal with good money and gives her a chance to get additional dates. But I legit have no idea who she has left in her stable that warrants dates on ESPN or any other network.

And as for the money? Again we have no idea what was offered by both parties. Just curious why Barry keeps having to make all the calls/e-mails though.

Comment

Working...
                      X