No announcement yet.

How the Kovalev deal to fight on ESPN was made

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
    Hearn got 2 more deals to be announced for a total of 16 more cards. Sure he'll appreciate the concern of the usual suspects though
    Huh? Two more fighter deals? Or two network deals?

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
      Huh? Two more fighter deals? Or two network deals?
      Go to 15 minutes in

Comment

Go to 15 minutes in

Doubt that has anything to do with the states. But he doesn't have the amount of fighters to fill dates for his current DAZN deal, no way he would be able to pull 16 more dates. This has to be something else. Possibly something in Germany or country like that?

Comment

Damn son. Yet another L.

Comment

Again, I'm sure the money was great but these established fighters with names aren't going to want to fight on a start up streaming service with hardly any subscribers. ESPN is pretty much as big of a platform as there is minus terrestrial television so easy decision for Duva.
            A fighter on the back 9 of his career should be looking at the 0's on the check more than the potential growth in fans he may gain. And if anyone needs to be real about where a 35 year old guy who's lost 3 of his last 5 fights, 2 by stoppage, is at in their career it should be his manager & promoter.

Again doe I wouldn't be surprised if Kathy is oblivious to this or is misplaying a hand OR if Hearn doesn't quite got the pile of money he's advertising. I mean he's already lost a purse bid to TR & now he's lost a very solid rematch that was up for grabs. Meanwhile somehow Tevin Farmer has a 3 fight deal & the best Haymon guy Eddie could sign for DAZN is Jessie Vargas.

Comment

Hearn got 2 more deals to be announced for a total of 16 more cards. Sure he'll appreciate the concern of the usual suspects though
              Man I feel like Hearn is getting spread thin. Idk that he's got the roster for DAZN let alone 16 more dates. Certainly not the roster to make DAZN Boxing a real player for elite level boxing. Joshua is the best guy by a mile & the best US fighter they got for this US market play is probably Andrade (who I think is likely to come up short vs BJS, although its not a forgone conclusion) or Vargas.

What do you make of Hearn not getting the Alvarez vs Kovalev 2 fight? Is Kathy ******ed or did Hearn not wanna part with enough money like with that Hooker vs Saucedo fight?

Comment

Originally posted by eco1 View Post
                Maybe we do not see it now, but the future is streaming, not cable.
                The future is streaming. That's why ESPN, Fox, & Showtime all have live streaming services. DAZN isn't doing anything the others haven't already been doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  A fighter on the back 9 of his career should be looking at the 0's on the check more than the potential growth in fans he may gain. And if anyone needs to be real about where a 35 year old guy who's lost 3 of his last 5 fights, 2 by stoppage, is at in their career it should be his manager & promoter.

Again doe I wouldn't be surprised if Kathy is oblivious to this or is misplaying a hand OR if Hearn doesn't quite got the pile of money he's advertising. I mean he's already lost a purse bid to TR & now he's lost a very solid rematch that was up for grabs. Meanwhile somehow Tevin Farmer has a 3 fight deal & the best Haymon guy Eddie could sign for DAZN is Jessie Vargas.
                  Sure, but Duva still obviously believes Kovalev can win the rematch. We have no idea how much money was offered, but more potential for Kovalev if he wins the rematch on ESPN opposed to DAZN.

Also, we can put an end on ESPN only having $30 million for their 30 cards they have to put on. Like I said, more likely double that.

Comment

He just underestimated how small of a platform DAZN is in the States. Money is great, but no one would be able to raise their profile on that streaming service. At least not early on. Hearn needs to continue signing good fighters with no names and build some prospects and then in a few years if he gets the six year option extended, then make his move. No one who has other good options will want to fight on a unproven concept, just not happening.
                    This is a understated reality to a new platform like DAZN in this market.

Anyone not down with Hearn from out the gate would be careful to take the leap of faith on a unproven entity unless the money was absolutely crazy. I suppose its not really a surprise that the best guys Hearn could sign is a bunch of guys you wouldn't be surprised to see on Roc Nation's roster if they had come out in 2018 & its sorta ironic a also ran type cat like Maurice Hooker that WAS with RN is now a DAZN guy along with a guy who seemed to wanna be a RN guy in Demetrius Andrade.

With all the money DAZN had given Hearn I expected a better roster then they ended up getting honestly. But considering the uphill climb DAZN has in front of it I cuz I shouldn't have expected so much maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      Man I feel like Hearn is getting spread thin. Idk that he's got the roster for DAZN let alone 16 more dates. Certainly not the roster to make DAZN Boxing a real player for elite level boxing. Joshua is the best guy by a mile & the best US fighter they got for this US market play is probably Andrade (who I think is likely to come up short vs BJS, although its not a forgone conclusion) or Vargas.

What do you make of Hearn not getting the Alvarez vs Kovalev 2 fight? Is Kathy ******ed or did Hearn not wanna part with enough money like with that Hooker vs Saucedo fight?
                      I think shes battling to keep her last crumb of relevance. Got Kovalev signed up to HBO despite him expressing a wish to do the WBSS. Kovalev wins and hes on DAZN, the WBSS comes up again and she aint got **** to promote. ESPN shes still got a promoting job to do.

Hooker/Saucedo was a bit of a crazy one, doubt he thought Arum would go that high, knows now Arum aint ****ing around. Hearn got taught a lesson.

It aint all one way traffic though, Parker pulled out of the Jennings fight to go to Hearn. Pacquiao gunna go to Hearn, this Mayweather stuff bull****.

Comment

Working...
                      X