No announcement yet.

How the Kovalev deal to fight on ESPN was made

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
    Wait what? Who said anything of that sort? Tessitore was selling the winner of the fight will be having a seven figure payday waiting for them in December....As in the winner of Pedraza/Beltran.
    Sigh. I remember us going back and forth when you said you couldn’t see PBC getting more than 6-8 dates from Fox and me gently trying to nudge you and tell you that 10 was more likely. Kick back, watch what the purse is—and remember I told you.

Comment

And I already told you how I didn't buy the $32 million number for ESPN. You aren't putting Kovalev/Alvarez on your card and paying $1.6 million for Saucedo/Hooker for a $32 million budget. Numbers don't add up, especially when you are probably paying around $3 million for the 24 international cards. That budget is closer to double $30 million than it is actually $30 million. If it was $30 only, do you really think they would try to put a bid for BJS/Andrade? Do you think they would be making offers to the Charlo brothers and Porter with a $30 million budget? Would they pay Crawford minimum of $6 million a year for two fights? How much do you think Lomachenko is making per fight? His fight vs Pedraza will be one where Pedraza makes over a million.
      And im pretty sure kevin iole has hinted multiple times that top ranks deal is not a typical sports rights deal Hence everyone calling it the most "comprehensive deal in espn history" Hence kevin IOle saying that espn will receive a lot of vertical for this deal. Its closer to a 360 deal than a rights fee

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        Sigh. I remember us going back and forth when you said you couldn’t see PBC getting more than 6-8 dates from Fox and me gently trying to nudge you and tell you that 10 was more likely. Kick back, watch what the purse is—and remember I told you.
        Sigh what? You tried to say the winner of Lomachenko/Pedraza gets a guaranteed million when that wasn't what I said.

And my breakdown of the PBC money wasn't bad at all. I was wrong on the amount of FOX cards, but not that off. I broke it down fine.

I also broke down the Hearn DAZN situation before it happened and the problems that were coming. I'm good, you misread what I said and tried to come back with some BS.

Comment

Sigh what? You tried to say the winner of Lomachenko/Pedraza gets a guaranteed million when that wasn't what I said.

And my breakdown of the PBC money wasn't bad at all. I was wrong on the amount of FOX cards, but not that off. I broke it down fine.

I also broke down the Hearn DAZN situation before it happened and the problems that were coming. I'm good, you misread what I said and tried to come back with some BS.
          My bad. I thought you were saying Pedraza would get a million versus Lomachenko, which is laughable.

Regarding PBC and DAZN, you had good guesses. I wasn’t guessing when I told you what I told you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
            The future is something similar to what Showtime is building now; focused on simply getting your content to the audience wherever they tend to receive content.

Cable, streaming, and social media will all have a part to play in the future; oddly, a point that people seem to miss.

For as great as Amazon is, there's a clear reason why they've bought Whole Foods and their brick-and-mortar locations.

If you're moving on the notion that cable is going to die, tough luck
            wait for it. Give it a decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by lanker rom View Post
              And im pretty sure kevin iole has hinted multiple times that top ranks deal is not a typical sports rights deal Hence everyone calling it the most "comprehensive deal in espn history" Hence kevin IOle saying that espn will receive a lot of vertical for this deal. Its closer to a 360 deal than a rights fee
              Iole may be right, but guys like Evan Rutkowski who used to work for HBO say otherwise. He said the ESPN budget is likely $55-65 million. And guys like John Nash on his podcast said over $50 million. So I tend to believe that over $32 million budget....Which was the rumored original budget before the new deal after they added far more cards.

Comment

Iole may be right, but guys like Evan Rutkowski who used to work for HBO say otherwise. He said the ESPN budget is likely $55-65 million. And guys like John Nash on his podcast said over $50 million. So I tend to believe that over $32 million budget....Which was the rumored original budget before the new deal after they added far more cards.
                They are saying that based on the overall amount, which may or may not be reached. Anywhere between $30-40 milly is probable.

Comment

How is it different? For one, Haymon pays a set fee for guys like Dibella to promote shows of HIS fighters. Arum and TR pick up fights of fighters not signed to them to fill air time. Like I said, they don't have the fighters to fill 30 dates a year. What was one of the reasons the deal for Andrade/BJS got made just before the purse bid? Because Arum sent one of his guys to put a bid for that fight to air on ESPN. Haymon is not doing that because he doesn't have to. He up until the FOX deal was in a opposite predictament of having too many fighters and not enough dates.

And because Haymon just pays set fees for guys like Dibella to promote his shows, it allows fighters to benefit by getting a piece of the live gate among other things.
                  First off no one knows the specifics of Arums deal with ESPN. in fact we know more about haymons deal than his.
                  Secondly your theory means that ESPN Is paying top rank to buy fights off purse bid. That doesn't sound like a typical tv deal. Is he buying fights or whole cards? and when they are bought does that effect the real promoter of the fight. couldn't ESPN do this themselves without arum? and with having to buy practically random fights that means that espn wont be getting the same fighters to build consistently.

All of these plus more ideas have been discussed between ESPN and Top rank. Its a very different deal than a normal rights fee

Comment

• Streaming will be a big part of the future no doubt, even Espinoza admitted so. And he said they will be looking to add more to their streaming services and I think the new deal will show that. I believe SHO Anytime already lets you stream live events.

Comment

• Originally posted by lanker rom View Post
                      First off no one knows the specifics of Arums deal with ESPN. in fact we know more about haymons deal than his.
                      Secondly your theory means that ESPN Is paying top rank to buy fights off purse bid. That doesn't sound like a typical tv deal. Is he buying fights or whole cards? and when they are bought does that effect the real promoter of the fight. couldn't ESPN do this themselves without arum? and with having to buy practically random fights that means that espn wont be getting the same fighters to build consistently.

All of these plus more ideas have been discussed between ESPN and Top rank. Its a very different deal than a normal rights fee
                      Well said.

Comment

Working...
                      X