Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Alvarez Makes Statement, Knocks Sergey Kovalev Out in Seven

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alfred64 View Post
    Kovalev's demise in the Ward fights was due to Wards head & legit body shots that wore him down. Once he gassed Andre finished him off with a solid right to the head & legal BELT line shots. Low blow at the end didnt have much on it & Kov was already done before that. I do believe the 1st & 2nd fights with Andre did contribute to current shaky chin. Some fighters just don't have the resolve to come back from bad KO's, Roy Jones & Fernando Vargas come to mind.
    No, he always had a dodgy chin. He was a bully puncher who could dish it out but couldn't take it. His destructive aura papered over the cracks though. His chins completely gone now though, he's easy pickings for any decent contender.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sable&Whitefish View Post
      I think they know how, but for whatever reason the executives are just not interested in siphoning money into boxing events and coverage anymore — they want a couple big PPV fights a year for the money, and some smaller fights like this to appease people who have HBO because they love boxing — they don’t want to lose those subscribers altogether.

They’re doing very little to promote new fighters, up and comers etc., so I don’t see how they’re doing anything but setting themselves up to eventually can HBO boxing or relegate it to 1 or 2 fights a year. In terms of turning things around I don’t think it’s a matter of can’t, though, it’s a matter of won’t. They have decades of being one of the top dogs in boxing, they have all the infrastructure, money, subscribers...
      100%

meanwhile Showtime has been killing it lol

Comment

• This best thing about this win is it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't a better fighter getting overconfident against a fighter who had nothing to lose. See Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis (twice). Alvarez is a really good fighter that seemed to believe his skills would get him the win. Kovalev wasn't overconfident and he fought well up until he got caught. Th problem is he has that one fatal flaw. He seems to get lazy in the second half of fights. It's fine if he's up again lesser fighters but when you're dealing with some with real skills it's a problem.

Kovalev was never in control of the fight. Look at Alvarez' eyes the entire fight. He never lost focus or got discouraged. He was disciplined enough and knew Kovalev had that fatal flaw. All he had to was land that shot at the right moment. He'd seen the effect it had on Kovalev before and he'd practiced it enough. Once Kovalev got hurt he was done because he's never been fit enough or had the survival instincts to get out of a jam like that. This was a great fight and one of the reasons I love boxing.

Comment

• I put a bet to win Kovalev by KO, but props to Alvarez for the win.

During the first rounds, Alvarez was countering Kovalev's jab with a sharp jab of his own, so Kovalev didn't want to have more of those. Anyway, in my opinion Kovalev was picking up most of the rounds for being the aggresor and due to lack of activity from Alvarez. I had it 4-2 for Kovalev at the end of the 6th.

About Kovalev's chin, he didn't have a great one from the beginning (he was knocked down by Caparello, not a heavy puncher at all), and due to his style, he is open in close range, and is quite easy to be hit.

Good fight from Alvarez, he survived the storm in the 4th round, and he waited for his chance. Congrats to him.

Comment

• I wonder if he retires or continues to fight. He can take on a few easy opponents to building himself back up for a big payday.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingOfGlory View Post
              Max and Roy are so mad right now. Silence with a few passive aggressive comments about Harold's score.
              Freedom got quiet quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by CineScape View Post
                Where's John David Jackson?! LMAO!
                All that crap Kov was talking about JDJ. He deserved to get KO'd

Comment

• Man, the boxing world can change so quickly. Boxing and American football are the only sports I've seen with such volatility in a career. Arguably the best one year, basically done the next.

Comment

I dont think any fighter in history will ever emulate Floyd's earnings (adjusted for inflation). I do feel that many fighters in history deserved those huge purses much more than Floyd. Andre alone participating in & winning a loaded super six tournament, handing Dawson his 2nd defeat & stopping him for the first time, negotiating to fight a prime feared GGG when others were avoiding him & finally moving up in weight to take on anther feared fighter in Kovalev. This is more than Mayweather ever accomplished in his career, why? Because Andre could have lost badly in some of these fights but he dared to be great & won. So I get when fans say that Andre just never caught on with the public who prefers and pays for Floyds family drama while insulting truly all time great fighters & waiting out or completly avoiding his toughest competition. Imagine the Warriors playing the 5th best team in the NBA finals or the NFL doing the same in the Superbowl? Why do boxing fans put up with this b.s. while making guys like Floyd filthy rich?
                    This is the dumbest, most hating type post ever. Floyd deserved those purses because he sat at the negotiation table with the necessary leverage. The oppression and discrimination black boxers faced in the past, has nothing to with him. Do you know how business and entertainment works?

Comment

I dont think any fighter in history will ever emulate Floyd's earnings (adjusted for inflation). I do feel that many fighters in history deserved those huge purses much more than Floyd. Andre alone participating in & winning a loaded super six tournament, handing Dawson his 2nd defeat & stopping him for the first time, negotiating to fight a prime feared GGG when others were avoiding him & finally moving up in weight to take on anther feared fighter in Kovalev. This is more than Mayweather ever accomplished in his career, why? Because Andre could have lost badly in some of these fights but he dared to be great & won. So I get when fans say that Andre just never caught on with the public who prefers and pays for Floyds family drama while insulting truly all time great fighters & waiting out or completly avoiding his toughest competition. Imagine the Warriors playing the 5th best team in the NBA finals or the NFL doing the same in the Superbowl? Why do boxing fans put up with this b.s. while making guys like Floyd filthy rich?
                      While Ward was daring to be great, Mayweather was just great. I respect both fighters but there's a difference between the two. Ward was a somewhat underrated fighter that would grind his opponent down and find a way to beat them. Mayweather walked into the ring knowing exactly how to beat you. He never had to dare to be great because he was always levels ahead of his closest competitor. He had some off nights and when he did he came back and corrected his mistakes.

As far as the money they made that should tell you everything you need to know about the difference between the two. Mayweather walked from a bad situation, lost money, and took total control of his career. That lead him to making the money he made on his own terms. Ward had to sue his way out of a bad situation and turned right around and put his career into someone else's hand.

Comment

Working...
                      X