Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Alvarez Makes Statement, Knocks Sergey Kovalev Out in Seven

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Damn Wicked View Post
    That's his Achilles heel. His stamina is not particularly good. He was badly winded when he hurt Alvarez, so he had to take his foot of the gas.
    But when his former trainer pointed out all these things, and Kov's aversion to training properly, y'all all beat the messenger. Y'all played the "loyalty" card instead of respecting that the man was speaking professionally about the problems he was having in getting the Kov to train proper and have the proper attitude. Y'all beat down the trainer, who was publicly trying to give Kovy a message ...

Anyway, Kovalev doesn't have to be done. He's met someone else who was better this night. It happens, but if he wants he can get back.

Comment

• Originally posted by vwelsh View Post
      did anyone watch the fight. Alvarez started walking Kov back in the last two rounds. Especially that last round. Walk a bully backwards and the rest is easy work. Watch the fight. Come to you senses. Calm your emotions. Alvarez stuck to his plan and executed it spot on. Listen to his corner. They did exactly what they set out to do. I was going for Kov as I really didn't know Alvarez. I'm impressed.
      Well said.

Alvarez was thinking in there the whole time he excuted his game plan beautifully.

Comment

• Originally posted by hitking View Post
        Right, which is why black fighters throughout history have been major draws, even after loses. Tyson, Leonard, Ali, Louis just to name a view. And Tito was a “black” fighter that didn’t speak English. Didn’t seem to hurt him getting a push.
        And name one fight where Tito got paid where he wasn't facing another great fighter.

Usually when two great fighters go at it, people will tune in. Hagler/Hearns etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing1012 View Post
          I actually watched some of Ward's fights from the Olympics...check them out if you haven't. If you can honestly watch those and say that you see a slick boxer, I mean it just isn't there. Even then he was largely holding and clinching and I feel he was not separating from his opponents on a skill basis.

But yeah he was able to win a Gold medal before he was "Andre Ward." Obviously he has some degree of boxing/fighting skills.

But Ward's entire career, you are correct, he was very closely managed. He has always been the home fighter in all of his fights. Partially because of that, he retained his 0 on his record.

Once he got to a certain point in his career and was still undefeated, and TPTB realized how much money Floyd was making with his 0, they tried to prop Andre up to be the next Floyd.

As I'm sure you know, that was the impetus for the Super 6 tournament in the first place. The organizer of the tournament essentially said the purpose was to have Andre become the next Floyd.

And how could you argue that's what they were doing - he got to fight Kessler in Oakland!!! I mean how is that possible. All of his other fights in that tournament, Ward fought at home. Tell me how that is not some sort of American privilege...Kessler should have had all of those advantages, not Ward.

Almost everyone Ward fought in that tourney should have been the home fighter, not him.

But yeah TPTB didn't realize that even if they helped Andre keep his 0, he wasn't interesting enough outside the ring to make him into a Floyd 2.0. They miscalculated on that one
          Who said Ward was slick? That’s your stereotype for what you think a black fighter should be. Ward is more of a skilled mauler.

Secondly, what gift decisions has Ward gotten while fighting in Oakland? The only questionable decision he’s had in his career was the first Kovalev fight. And I believe that was in Vegas. What difference does it make where they fight if he’s clearly winning 10+ rounds in a fight?

Lastly, I’ve literally never heard anyone say Ward was the next Mayweather. If anything, he’s the anti-Mayweather. Married his high school sweetheart and raising a beautiful family. Opposed to Floyd having kids with multiple women. Ward hasn’t had any legal troubles. And the list goes on and on. Like I said, you’re stereotypes very much clouds your opinion and makes you try and rewrite history.

Comment

• Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
            He's just too lazy and drinks too much.
            How can he be hurt by normal body shots and get gassed out in the middle rounds ?
            He never learned from showing up soft against Ward II.
            His former trainer pointed out all these things, and Kov's aversion to training properly.

Comment

And name one fight where Tito got paid where he wasn't facing another great fighter.

Usually when two great fighters go at it, people will tune in. Hagler/Hearns etc.
              Are we talking about non-English speaking fighters getting paid or getting a major push. Because Tito got a helluva push. That HBO/Don King middleweight tournament was put in place partly to setup a Roy Jones-Tito superfight after Tito won it. Which we know didn’t happened.

Comment

Who said Ward was slick? That’s your stereotype for what you think a black fighter should be. Ward is more of a skilled mauler.

Secondly, what gift decisions has Ward gotten while fighting in Oakland? The only questionable decision he’s had in his career was the first Kovalev fight. And I believe that was in Vegas. What difference does it make where they fight if he’s clearly winning 10+ rounds in a fight?

Lastly, I’ve literally never heard anyone say Ward was the next Mayweather. If anything, he’s the anti-Mayweather. Married his high school sweetheart and raising a beautiful family. Opposed to Floyd having kids with multiple women. Ward hasn’t had any legal troubles. And the list goes on and on. Like I said, you’re stereotypes very much clouds your opinion and makes you try and rewrite history.
                Most people who back Ward talk about how slick he is. Maybe you aren't one of those.

Not so much the gift decisions - but certainly very wide cards. And also most importantly the ability to have everything in his favor. Essentially it is his referee and judges.

He has always reminded me of a rich kid who wants to be a fighter. So his dad hires some judges and a ref and puts on shows in the backyard. Ward scraps away against the opponent, getting away with whatever he wants.

At the end of the fight, the onlookers are saying, man there wasn't really much between them. Then the judges come in and say 12-0. 11-1, and 11-1. (see the Barrera and Bika fights)

Essentially he can fight as dirty as he wants at home, will never get penalized for it, and even then I have never watched him and seen him school another top opponent, save for a few rounds in the Froch fight. Which I felt the correct score was 7- 5 Ward.

And Ward was clearly the home fighter in the Vegas fight, and the home fighter in the Froch fight in NJ.

Ask yourself this - does Ward beat Kov with a Russian judge and 3 Russian refs in Russia...does he beat Froch with a UK ref in the UK...

Comment

Again with regards to the Mayweather comparison, Ward seems to be a decent guy outside the ring. TPTB felt that Ward being black and undefeated would be enough to have him emulate Floyd's financial success, but for whatever reason Andre never caught on, people just never cared enough about him I think.

Comment

Most people who back Ward talk about how slick he is. Maybe you aren't one of those.

Not so much the gift decisions - but certainly very wide cards. And also most importantly the ability to have everything in his favor. Essentially it is his referee and judges.

He has always reminded me of a rich kid who wants to be a fighter. So his dad hires some judges and a ref and puts on shows in the backyard. Ward scraps away against the opponent, getting away with whatever he wants.

At the end of the fight, the onlookers are saying, man there wasn't really much between them. Then the judges come in and say 12-0. 11-1, and 11-1. (see the Barrera and Bika fights)

Essentially he can fight as dirty as he wants at home, will never get penalized for it, and even then I have never watched him and seen him school another top opponent, save for a few rounds in the Froch fight. Which I felt the correct score was 7- 5 Ward.

And Ward was clearly the home fighter in the Vegas fight, and the home fighter in the Froch fight in NJ.

Ask yourself this - does Ward beat Kov with a Russian judge and 3 Russian refs in Russia...does he beat Froch with a UK ref in the UK...
                    So Chad Dawson wasn’t a top notch fighter?

Comment

Are we talking about non-English speaking fighters getting paid or getting a major push. Because Tito got a helluva push. That HBO/Don King middleweight tournament was put in place partly to setup a Roy Jones-Tito superfight after Tito won it. Which we know didn’t happened.
                      I'm gonna get to bed...non-US fighters can get publicity, even if they don't speak English at all/well, if they have the skills.

If Lara knocked out Canelo and Paul Williams, there would be no way to deny him.

Trinidad got a lot of pub early because he was knocking guys out. There was no way to deny his talents, when you KO everyone you have to get some publicity.

Comment

Working...
                      X