No announcement yet.

The idea that one has to fight in Vegas to validate their career is BS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
    You really are deranged. Show me evidence that people around the globe would watch more if a fight was in Vegas to say Wembley or the O2 in London?

The level of arrogance you display is beyond disgusting.
    Why do you keep calling it arrogance? The history of a building/stadium often enhances the significance of the event being held in it.

There have been many, many great fights in MSG and Vegas that gives a big fight a bigger feel. With all due respect, the large stadiums in England do not have that same history, the same way the Rose Bowl doesn't have soccer history like Azteca, Camp Nou and Wembley.

You seem very angry, jealous and insecure that America has a deeper and more revered boxing history than England.

Comment

Why wouldn't Americans, Peurto Ricans and Mexicans respect a fighter if they never fought in the states even though they would be fighting the exact same fighters they would in America? That doesn't make any sense, man. It's the fighters you beat, nothing to do with location. So if they don't respect fighters who don't fight in the states even though they're fighting the same fighter, then they're ******s who should be dismissed for being idiots. And who cares about the opinions of idiots?

You do know we do better crowds than in the states don't you, regardless of where the fight is held? Your crowds to put it mildly, are complete ****. They don't even look like boxing fans. And they certainly don't sound like fans either.
      Again, you are missing the point. I am not disputing the fact that it's who you beat. All I am saying is that where you perform is indicative of where you are on the landscape.

Not every fighter can headline a big Vegas fight. If AJ does that, he establishes himself as the face of the sport. Yes, he can beat Wilder anywhere, but doing it in MSG or Vegas in front of the high rollers and the world wide media would mean more for his brand because great fighters like Ali, Leonard, Tyson etc etc did the same before him.

I agree that English crowds are great. Months ago I indicated if I am Wilder, a big KO win in England could lift him like the Hagler win over Minter did, especially in front of 90k fans.

I think you are taking me and others suggesting the fight could be in Vegas or MSG as a diss or rebuke of the English boxing fans or the ability of England to stage an event. Just to be clear, that is not why I am suggesting Vegas or MSG.
      Last edited by The Big Dunn; 07-24-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Why do you keep calling it arrogance? The history of a building/stadium often enhances the significance of the event being held in it.

There have been many, many great fights in MSG and Vegas that gives a big fight a bigger feel. With all due respect, the large stadiums in England do not have that same history, the same way the Rose Bowl doesn't have soccer history like Azteca, Camp Nou and Wembley.

You seem very angry, jealous and insecure that America has a deeper and more revered boxing history than England.
        Support your claims then? The world would view a fight in Vegas over a fight at the O2 arena even though they are fighting the same fighter because....?

Who cares about history? A fight is as big as the fighters fighting, not location. To say there isn't a big fight feeling in the UK or Russia is nothing but preposterous. And yes, arrogant. In fact, the big fight feeling in the UK and Russia is better than the states because the fans actually like boxing. The atmospheres are much better. No one around the world refuse to view those fights because they're not in Vegas. If so, support that ridiculous claim.

I don't dispute the states having a bigger history for boxing than England. I dispute arrogant claims that fans around the world wouldn't watch a fight based on location but would if that very same fight was held in Vegas.

Comment

Again, you are missing the point. I am not disputing the fact that it's who you beat. All I am saying is that where you perform is indicative of where you are on the landscape.

Not every fighter can headline a big Vegas fight. If AJ does that, he establishes himself as the face of the sport. Yes, he can beat Wilder anywhere, but doing it in MSG or Vegas in front of the high rollers and the world wide media would mean more for his brand because great fighters like Ali, Leonard, Tyson etc etc did the same before him.

I agree that English crowds are great. Months ago I indicated if I am Wilder, a big KO win in England could lift him like the Hagler win over Minter did, especially in front of 90k fans.

I think you are taking me and others suggesting the fight could be in Vegas or MSG as a diss or rebuke of the English boxing fans or the ability of England to stage an event. Just to be clear, that is not why I am suggesting Vegas or MSG.
          World wide, Joshua is already the face of boxing. His fights are sold to 192 countries around the world. Can you say the same for any American? No you can't.

Also, check how many Twitter and Intstagram followers Joshua has compared to any American fighter. All done by fighting out of the UK and not in the states. How's that for supporting my claims? Now you do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
            Okay, Sven Ottke.
            Roy and Calzaghe ducked the hell out of Sven GOATtke.

Comment

Support your claims then? The world would view a fight in Vegas over a fight at the O2 arena even though they are fighting the same fighter because....?

Who cares about history? A fight is as big as the fighters fighting, not location. To say there isn't a big fight feeling in the UK or Russia is nothing but preposterous. And yes, arrogant. In fact, the big fight feeling in the UK and Russia is better than the states because the fans actually like boxing. The atmospheres are much better. No one around the world refuse to view those fights because they're not in Vegas. If so, support that ridiculous claim.

I don't dispute the states having a bigger history for boxing than England. I dispute arrogant claims that fans around the world wouldn't watch a fight based on location but would if that very same fight was held in Vegas.
              Now where did I post there wasn't a big fight feeling? Come on dude, don't do that. I didn't post no one refuses to view them either.

Part of what makes a big fight a pop culture event is who is at the fight. So Ali/Frazier in the Garden, Floyd/Manny in Vegas are made bigger because of all the celebrities and power brokers that attend. Maybe it's the same in these countries and I don't have a sense of it because I am not there.

AJ/Wilder in Wembley would be great because of the 90k screaming boxing fans, no doubt. But the same fight in Vegas would have world wide celebrities in the audience in prominent seats that give the fight the feel of a once in a lifetime event that you have to be part of.

Comment

World wide, Joshua is already the face of boxing. His fights are sold to 192 countries around the world. Can you say the same for any American? No you can't.

Also, check how many Twitter and Intstagram followers Joshua has compared to any American fighter. All done by fighting out of the UK and not in the states. How's that for supporting my claims? Now you do the same.
                You ain't the face of boxing if you're not known in the US dude. Keep it real. Floyd was the last face of boxing-he is known world wide in every place there is boxing. I am not sure if AJ is more well known than Manny but again I'm here so I may not have a true sense of things.

Joshua is the HWT champ in the Eastern hemisphere. Is he more well known world wide than any American fighter-absolutely. Is he known in America-which is still the boxing capital of the world-no.

If social media followers are the measure than I would suggest Floyd still occupies that space. I am confident Floyd can fight Spence, Crawford, Manny rematch or GGG and it will blow away any numbers AJ does.

For the record I have posted AJ beating Wilder would make him the face worldwide so again I am not one who is trying to downplay AJ. I am trying to get his exposure maximized so we will have another true face of the sport.

Comment

Now where did I post there wasn't a big fight feeling? Come on dude, don't do that. I didn't post no one refuses to view them either.

Part of what makes a big fight a pop culture event is who is at the fight. So Ali/Frazier in the Garden, Floyd/Manny in Vegas are made bigger because of all the celebrities and power brokers that attend. Maybe it's the same in these countries and I don't have a sense of it because I am not there.

AJ/Wilder in Wembley would be great because of the 90k screaming boxing fans, no doubt. But the same fight in Vegas would have world wide celebrities in the audience in prominent seats that give the fight the feel of a once in a lifetime event that you have to be part of.
                  Who gives a **** about celebrities? That doesn't make you a world wide star. And for the record, loads of celebrities go to boxing in the UK.

World wide celebrities? You mean British and American celebrities? They're mostly the ones that go to fights. And they add nothing to a fight for people around the world. I don't give a **** about them, and i'm sure the rest of the world doesn't either. They're there to watch a fight, not some film stars or musicians.

That still doesn't support your claims that a fight becomes global if the fight is held in the states to say another arena in the world. Not even close.

It's like me saying fights held in the UK get the globe watching over anywhere else because we had the biggest empire. Or that we created modern day boxing. But we wouldn't say that because we're not deranged nutters who have arrogance drip from everyone of our pores.

So as I say, you don't become a bigger international star because you fight in the sates because no one gives a **** about location.

Comment

You ain't the face of boxing if you're not known in the US dude. Keep it real. Floyd was the last face of boxing-he is known world wide in every place there is boxing. I am not sure if AJ is more well known than Manny but again I'm here so I may not have a true sense of things.

Joshua is the HWT champ in the Eastern hemisphere. Is he more well known world wide than any American fighter-absolutely. Is he known in America-which is still the boxing capital of the world-no.

If social media followers are the measure than I would suggest Floyd still occupies that space. I am confident Floyd can fight Spence, Crawford, Manny rematch or GGG and it will blow away any numbers AJ does.

For the record I have posted AJ beating Wilder would make him the face worldwide so again I am not one who is trying to downplay AJ. I am trying to get his exposure maximized so we will have another true face of the sport.
                    Haha, You're not the face of boxing if you're not known in the states? There's that arrogance and delusion again. The world isn't the states. The world doesn't revolve around the states. Only arrogant idiots come out with nonsense like that. And Americans wonder why the world so despises them.

America was once the capital, but not any longer. The UK and Russia are really making huge strides by holding a lot of big fights in their countries. This isn't the 90's any more.

Floyd isn't the face of boxing because he's retired. If retired fighters were included, then Tyson would be the man. The face of boxing is all about active fighters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
                      Who gives a **** about celebrities? That doesn't make you a world wide star. And for the record, loads of celebrities go to boxing in the UK.

World wide celebrities? You mean British and American celebrities? They're mostly the ones that go to fights. And they add nothing to a fight for people around the world. I don't give a **** about them, and i'm sure the rest of the world doesn't either. They're there to watch a fight, not some film stars or musicians.

That still doesn't support your claims that a fight becomes global if the fight is held in the states to say another arena in the world. Not even close.

It's like me saying fights held in the UK get the globe watching over anywhere else because we had the biggest empire. Or that we created modern day boxing. But we wouldn't say that because we're not deranged nutters who have arrogance drip from everyone of our pores.

So as I say, you don't become a bigger international star because you fight in the sates because no one gives a **** about location.
                      You don't say that because it wouldn't be true. The fact is 5 of the 6 highest grossing fights in the history of the sport have been in Vegas. Having the fight there generates much more revenue than other places around the world. Clearly location matters to those that make the fight into a pop culture event.

I guess that is where we really disagree. I think AJ could become a legit crossover star like Tyson or Floyd by winning a big Vegas fight. You seem to disagree. The reality is at a Vegas fight are mover and shakers and captains of industry that can propel AJ to those heights. The people that put him in commercials and movies come to Vegas fights.

But I get it, you prefer large crowds of all boxing fans. Great atmosphere no doubt. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe the Beatles would've been just as big without coming to America had just stayed in Liverpool.

Comment

Working...
                      X