Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn: No One Knows Who Wilder is - 50-50 Will Never Happen!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
    Then why is this website so obsessed with him? Why is Hearn asked about him constantly? Why is he the biggest draw at Barclays? Why is he the biggest draw on Showtime? Why does he sell so many more tickets than Matchroom USA?
    EXACTLY people who think hes a way smaller draw only think that way because they are comparing the USA to the UK market.
    USA has never been driven by the gate. USA boxing doesn't have to compete with soccer and darts lmao. USA basically two promoters calling all of the shots.

For a American boxer to draw over 1 million almost consistently on showtime without adding streams and get similar numbers on the breakfast club. plus draw over 12000 in a American stadium is amazing. Hes the closest thing American boxing has to a superstar today (other than canelo whos on the down swing)

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK KNOT View Post
      because beyonce wilder gets what hearn thinks he should get beyonce is the b side and a pretty weak one hearn should offer him crumbs. 50-50 will never happen!
      I didn't say 50-50 was right either. 60/40 is more correct Meyer even 70/30 but not a flat rate. Unless it's 25mil.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK KNOT View Post
        we know who wilder is he's the duck who's scared to death of joshua!
        I don't know if he's scared but I know he's pricing himself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwingbombs View Post
          The average man on the street does not know who Wilder is.
          The average man on the street doesn't know who any current boxer is.

Wilder is the biggest star Showtime and PBC have. He sells more tickets than any other American boxer. Boxing is a niche sport in America. Casual sports fans don't care about boxing here.

Comment

Originally posted by TreJac View Post
            He's right, Wilder should be bigger in the states!
            He's the most popular American heavyweight since Holyfield. The heavyweight division was practically dead in the US before Wilder came along. There were many American world heavyweight champions after Holyfield. John Ruiz. Chris Byrd. Shannon Briggs. Hasim Rahman. Lamon Brewster. Yes, Roy Jones taking a one off at heavyweight was a big deal, but other than that, heavyweight was largely dead here. Nobody cared about the champions. They were not doing big ratings or selling lots of tickets like Wilder is.

To a UK fan, 14,000+ tickets may seem like nothing. A million live viewers on premium TV + all the people watching on Showtime's app which isn't included in Nielsen ratings, that might seem like nothing. But boxing isn't a big sport here. Wilder is doing great numbers compared to everyone else.

Say anything you want, but Wilder is a big enough star here that people were willing to put up the 50 million AJ asked for.

Comment

Fact is if Joshua walked down the street in most places in America no one would know who he is either. He gets less views than Clarissa Shields on Showtime.

Wilder has his boxing fan base, does good crowds at the Barclay center, and I think he is on a reality tv show.

Wilder-Ortiz is 14,069, second-largest boxing crowd at the arena behind Keith Thurman-Danny Garcia last year.
              http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40017153-4

This is with other major sporting events going on at the same time, and other top fighters that fight in the same arena. We just have more options over here. I think if Wilder was from the UK, and Joshua was from the US their numbers would be the same.
              Last edited by kej718; 07-19-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

He's the most popular American heavyweight since Holyfield. The heavyweight division was practically dead in the US before Wilder came along. There were many American world heavyweight champions after Holyfield. John Ruiz. Chris Byrd. Shannon Briggs. Hasim Rahman. Lamon Brewster. Yes, Roy Jones taking a one off at heavyweight was a big deal, but other than that, heavyweight was largely dead here. Nobody cared about the champions. They were not doing big ratings or selling lots of tickets like Wilder is.

To a UK fan, 14,000+ tickets may seem like nothing. A million live viewers on premium TV + all the people watching on Showtime's app which isn't included in Nielsen ratings, that might seem like nothing. But boxing isn't a big sport here. Wilder is doing great numbers compared to everyone else.

Say anything you want, but Wilder is a big enough star here that people were willing to put up the 50 million AJ asked for.
                Sorry.. when did America start caring?

7 defenses.
                lets take his last 3 as surely he's grown in popularity as you would suggest.

vs washington... 12,346. 5k short of capacity.
                vs Stiverne -- 10 ,924 8k short of capacity
                vs ortiz .... "14k +" i'll be nice and say 14,999... 4k short of capacity.

compared to

vs klitschko 90,000 - full
                vs Takam 80,000 - full
                Vs Parker 80,000 - full

1 million + on non PPV primetime time US TV, a little under 100k on Sky sports for his Ortiz fight BUT i'll be fair and say that was due to time difference. And that 1 mil + was just for ortiz and stiverne 2.

Also provide the showtime app numbers or dont quote them.
                By that logic i might aswell add in 1 million more for AJ through illegal streams.

Speaking of AJ...

1 million + PPV consistently
                500k live in the US
                over 800k replay for the klitschko fight at primetime.

Your right, i will say what i want, because youre talking out of your arse. Boxing isnt a big sport in the USA?
                So what is it in the UK?
                football.. both rugby league and Union, cricket, and tennis get higher view figures and personal participation than boxing per annum.

but as always, you're right.. Wilders worth every penny he says he is

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
                  lets take his last 3 as surely he's grown in popularity as you would suggest.

vs washington... 12,346. 5k short of capacity.
                  vs Stiverne -- 10 ,924 8k short of capacity
                  vs ortiz .... "14k +" i'll be nice and say 14,999... 4k short of capacity.

compared to

vs klitschko 90,000 - full
                  vs Takam 80,000 - full
                  Vs Parker 80,000 - full

Congratulations. Boxing is more popular in the UK than it is in the US. Joshua is more popular in the UK than Wilder is in the US. Do you want a cookie?

Part of why boxing is more popular in the UK is that the promoters don't gouge the public as much as they do in the US. However, because boxing has been turned into a rich man's sport in the US, a big fight can make WAYYYYY more money here, even if fewer people are interested.

AJ is the A-side. Nobody can force him to fight here. But he is the first fighter in history willing to take 15 million less to fight at home. Which is his right. But it makes it extremely difficult to make the fight because every megafight usually goes where the most money is so both boxers can maximize their revenue.

Showtime, US PPV providers, etc believe the fight is worth 100 million in the US. AJ was guaranteed the 50 million he wanted. When he says, I changed my mind, I'd rather make 35, and I want Wilder to only make 15, you can't expect Wilder to be happy about that.

Comment

Showtime, US PPV providers, etc believe the fight is worth 100 million in the US. AJ was guaranteed the 50 million he wanted. When he says, I changed my mind, I'd rather make 35, and I want Wilder to only make 15, you can't expect Wilder to be happy about that.

Wilder has no choice though, if he wants to be the best.

Wilder is mostly upset that he doesn't get the chance of landing on the $100m, 50/50 split. He thought he hit the lottery when AJ arrogantly boasted he would back down from 60% and only take 50% if its a $100m fight.

That's all this is about. A carrot was dangled in front of him and AJ took it away so Wilder is throwing his toys out. It has only ever been about 50/50 for him - and everyone knows that ain't gonna happen in the UK OR the US now that AJ knows for real that Haymon/Showtime are willing to back a huge numbers PPV.

Wilder needs to get on PPV next and start proving his hand if he wants to get anywhere near 50/50 in either country. But can they sell a PPV with Brezeale?

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishOxide View Post
                      Wilder has no choice though, if he wants to be the best.
                      And if AJ wants to be the best, he'll fight Wilder. Works both ways. They're both undefeated. They've both proven they're clearly one of the two best heavyweights. But with Fury vacating the lineal title when he retired, nobody is going to consider anybody the one true heavyweight champion until AJ & Wilder fight each other.

Comment

Working...
                      X