No announcement yet.

How Much Does Cheating Bother You?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Does Cheating Bother You?

We all know Floyd Mayweather used his forearms in not so legal ways. Andre Ward liked to billy goat. Roberto Duran thumbed Davey Moore and lowblowed Buchannan to win the title. Feix Trinidad was also know for his forearm and low blow skills. Adrien Broner has flat out hugged opponents with both arms, getting them in a lover's lock for life to hold on before. I've also seen Lomachenko hold people's head down. Yes, most fighters we like do something illegal in there.

How much does this bother you? Is it okay if your favorite fighter does it and not when fighters you don't like do it? Or do you just not notice or even care?

For me, it is bothersome and I don't really see why referees can't just enforce the rules. I'm happy to see one dq after another if it cleans up the fights.

When it's a matter of getting gritty, I don't mind. In fact, I have more respect for vets that can get rough. It's impossible to discuss topic like this though because people's judgement of fouling is always directly related to who they were rooting for. Loma got gritty against Rigo and some people claim they didn't see it, yet these same people cried for a year about Ward against Kovalev.

There's also the fact that some people can't see differences in technique and intention. A Ward clinch is a very different thing than a Wlad clinch. One is combat, one is stalling.

Comment

There’s certainly an art to it, it’s a fight after all. But a lot of times can be overdone and have a massive impact on the fight.. hate excessive clinching

Comment

I dont mind it here and there. But when a guy keeps doing the same foul it really gets to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          When it's a matter of getting gritty, I don't mind. In fact, I have more respect for vets that can get rough. It's impossible to discuss topic like this though because people's judgement of fouling is always directly related to who they were rooting for. Loma got gritty against Rigo and some people claim they didn't see it, yet these same people cried for a year about Ward against Kovalev.

There's also the fact that some people can't see differences in technique and intention. A Ward clinch is a very different thing than a Wlad clinch. One is combat, one is stalling.
          With Loma-Rigo, it looked to me like Rigo drew first blood on that one. Loma definitely got gritty but after he was provoked. Even not provoked though, I've seen him hold the opponent's head down. That said, guys aren't supposed to bend at the waist either, which is usually when he does this. So it seems more like foul-for-foul with him, butlike stated above, most fighters seem to foul in some way. So not calling Loma an angel but neither is Rigo by far.

Comment

Not a fan. If they are doing it in order to answer some dirty tactics of another fighter then it's fair game. But certain fighters routinely get away with it (Hopkins, Ward, Floyd, Horn, Salido) while others aren't granted the same favoritism.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              Not a fan. If they are doing it in order to answer some dirty tactics of another fighter then it's fair game. But certain fighters routinely get away with it (Hopkins, Ward, Floyd, Horn, Salido) while others aren't granted the same favoritism.
              Damn. I can't believe I forgot to mention Hopkins and Salido. They were known for fouling more than boxing.

Comment

It destroy's a fight's momentum because one guy doesn't have enough boxing skill to compete with the other guy within the rules of the sport, so he goes to cheating to compensate what he lacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
                  With Loma-Rigo, it looked to me like Rigo drew first blood on that one. Loma definitely got gritty but after he was provoked. Even not provoked though, I've seen him hold the opponent's head down. That said, guys aren't supposed to bend at the waist either, which is usually when he does this. So it seems more like foul-for-foul with him, butlike stated above, most fighters seem to foul in some way. So not calling Loma an angel but neither is Rigo by far.
                  I don't believe in the, "he did it first" argument when it comes to boxing. To me, it implies mental weakness, as if they are children that can't control their emotions so they're allowed to foul back if the other guy did it first.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
                    We all know Floyd Mayweather used his forearms in not so legal ways. Andre Ward liked to billy goat. Roberto Duran thumbed Davey Moore and lowblowed Buchannan to win the title. Feix Trinidad was also know for his forearm and low blow skills. Adrien Broner has flat out hugged opponents with both arms, getting them in a lover's lock for life to hold on before. I've also seen Lomachenko hold people's head down. Yes, most fighters we like do something illegal in there.

How much does this bother you? Is it okay if your favorite fighter does it and not when fighters you don't like do it? Or do you just not notice or even care?

For me, it is bothersome and I don't really see why referees can't just enforce the rules. I'm happy to see one dq after another if it cleans up the fights.

Inferior fighters for some reason are allowed to fight the superior fighters dirty in many fights. What Maidana and Hatton did against Floyd was looked at as positive infighting and that's how you fight boxers. Floyd uses his forearm against a guy holding and hitting or roughing him up and that's considered dirty, lmao. Foh

Comment

Working...
                    X