No announcement yet.

PBC Fights being sold in 108 countries

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
    Foreign countries pick up the rights for peanuts.
    exactly. And its not a slam on PBC, but foreign rights in general dont amount to much money at all, except if its a big PPV or something.......

(which is why most promoters dont even bother trying to sell the foreign rights for normal shows because its not worth the hassle of arranging for an uplink truck, production crew, etc)
    Last edited by OnePunch; 06-01-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

fair enough

Comment

Originally posted by lanker rom View Post
        I was listening to Richard Schaefer bash DAZN (BOOOH) and he mentioned something I wasn't aware of he said that PBC fights were being sold in 108 countries around the world. WAS HE TALKING OUT OF HIS NECK OR IS THEIR SOMETHING WE ARE MISSING
        Wouldn't surprise me. That's how the UFC stayed profitable with all that decline in PPV. They just hawked their rights around the world. Boxing is a global sport. Would be idiotic to keep it stateside exclusively..

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
          Wouldn't surprise me. That's how the UFC stayed profitable with all that decline in PPV. They just hawked their rights around the world. Boxing is a global sport. Would be idiotic to keep it stateside exclusively..
          All major sports are shown globally. Thought this was would be common knowledge. It isn't some strategy a genius conjured up at the UFC. Its a huge part of any televised sport.

Comment

Originally posted by lanker rom View Post
            I was listening to Richard Schaefer bash DAZN (BOOOH) and he mentioned something I wasn't aware of he said that PBC fights were being sold in 108 countries around the world. WAS HE TALKING OUT OF HIS NECK OR IS THEIR SOMETHING WE ARE MISSING
            SuperSport is basically the sports channel for Sub-Saharan Africa, and yes they carry most of the PBC fights (as they do for pretty much any global fight beyond whatever domestic level, and some domestic fights in West Africa; mostly Ghana and Nigeria).

Not sure if it's Canal Space, but there's a broadcaster that basically airs fights for Latin America below Mexico, and they air PBC fights.

BoxNation is always looking for content, so they basically scoop up every PBC event that doesn't draw interest from Sky Sports in the UK.

TSN in Canada, Televisa in Mexico, Polsat in Poland, etc; not every show is aired in every market, but folks forget how wide-reaching content can be

Comment

Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
              could be I remeber UFC dana white clowning PBC etc saying they dont know anything about making money cause they were leaving so much money on the table in terms of buys from abroad etc with the Maywe4ather vs McGregor fight. So maybe PBC learned, be dumb not too.
              PPV is a different conversation entirely. Wholesaling the event (getting one fee from an international broadcaster, who then takes on the responsibility to push the fight in their country to make back their money) seems to have worked better for Floyd/Haymon than figuring out how to set up in each market and collecting the PPV money themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                SuperSport is basically the sports channel for Sub-Saharan Africa, and yes they carry most of the PBC fights (as they do for pretty much any global fight beyond whatever domestic level, and some domestic fights in West Africa; mostly Ghana and Nigeria).

Not sure if it's Canal Space, but there's a broadcaster that basically airs fights for Latin America below Mexico, and they air PBC fights.

BoxNation is always looking for content, so they basically scoop up every PBC event that doesn't draw interest from Sky Sports in the UK.

TSN in Canada, Televisa in Mexico, Polsat in Poland, etc; not every show is aired in every market, but folks forget how wide-reaching content can be
                Wow With all those different broadcasters do YOU THINK PBC is getting any significant money? or is it a small amount like most people are thinking.

Also something idk if people know about is marc Watson (haymons UK guy) Has a company called ELEVEN sports network That launched in USA last year

Comment

they come here and they take our pbc rights? i'm sure some of them are nice countries but...

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    PPV is a different conversation entirely. Wholesaling the event (getting one fee from an international broadcaster, who then takes on the responsibility to push the fight in their country to make back their money) seems to have worked better for Floyd/Haymon than figuring out how to set up in each market and collecting the PPV money themselves.
                    true but maybe now they figured it out.

Everythings hard when you have no clue on how to do it, but once you see it done/understand hows it done its be easy to re-implement. perhaps thats what has hasppened? Maybe in the past they settle for the flat fee and let the others nickle and dime it to make it back + profits but now they know how to do it so they can cut out the middle man and STILL charge a licensing fee for the cable traiditional platform.

Comment

uk just swooped in and picked up the washington/kauffman/hunter card for 5 million dollars! spain picked it up for 4.5 million. france 12 million

Comment

Working...
                      X