No announcement yet.

How do you see Loma-Duran at 135 going?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
    As far as I know, Leonard was very keen for the rematch to occur quickly when he heard that Duran had been partying and ballooning up in size. And for whatever reason, bad management maybe, machismo perhaps, Duran took the rematch without leaving enough time to get in shape. That is not Leonard getting his 'tactics on point', that is Duran letting himself down
    Duran couldn't cut the ring off of Leonard, no excuses for that did Duran just suddenly forget how to do that... I don't buy it!

Comment

• Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
      I know he was in a car crash just before DeJesus I, but I don't really know the details. Do you know much more about it?

I heard variously that the car crash was in Sept. of that year (in which case Duran would've fought two other times between the crash and meeting DeJesus), but also that the crash was just before the DeJesus fight? I also saw that some described Duran as having a 'hole in his elbow' but I don't know the true extent of any injuries. Was he just partying too much?

In any case, Duran was certainly human, and like any human, he is beatable. In the case of DeJesus I, and definitely Leonard II, however, it seems not so much a case of Duran being beaten by the other guy, but rather a case of Duran not taking sufficient care of himself. But this unpredictability is part of Duran's charm, he lived big.

It's worth bearing in mind that Duran fought a lot more than we can ever expect Loma to fight, and in 15-round fights too. In all, I think Duran's evidently huge passion for the fighting game puts him as an ATG, whereas we are still yet to see if Loma fits that category (some say yes, already, but I think it premature)
      I know he was in the crash but the timing of it I don't know. Yes Duran was unpredictable but had crazy charisma. How many other fighters could have survived the No Mas incident. Ironically in the long run it just added to his legend. Your right everyone is beatable however IMO Loma isn't the guy to give him his second lose at Lightweight. That's just my opinion and I'm biased for Duran. To me it's too early to give Loma that type of credit.

Comment

• Duran is no stranger to cutesy fighters because of the Puerto Ricans he has faced.

I am not saying those fighters are equal to Lomachenko, but Duran would have no problem!

Comment

• I mean he had trouble with Salido being rough at 126, and he is going to handle Roberto Duran being rough at 135?

Much props to Loma, his skill set is definitely sufficient to give Duran some stuff to think about, but Loma isn't big enough for Duran at 135.

And if its a 15 rounder...

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnCastellanos View Post
            Duran would have killed Loma @35!!! Get reall dude! Loma is good anyone with a decent Mexican Style will white wash him!!!
            UMMmmm if any style is Taylor made for Loma it would be a Mexican style fighter. He eats come forward fighters alive.

Guys that can fight on the inside well and clinch and make it dirty like salido did. BUuuuut, loma is much more nasty a fighter now and doesn't take ANY BS in the ring in terms of dirty play.

The salido fight taught him that lesson

Comment

• Originally posted by satiev1 View Post
              Lomo beats him.
              Do you post for shock value or are you truly this ignorant?

Comment

• Duran after he lost to Sugar Ray went 5 - 4 in his next 9 fight at the age of 29 to 34 (I understand it was at different weights). Not exactly Godlike. If that happened today, lord help us with us with how everyone would call him a bum.

Loma isn't going to lose 4 boxing matches his whole life, pro + am, much less 16.

Duran was great, but Loma is proving to be so far to be just as much. To think Duran could lose to the best fighter today by many is NOT crazy.

Duran around 18 months before fighting Sugar Ray fought a guy with a 1-3 record! WTH! He won a lot of fights, but man, looots of bums! I cant imagine Loma fighting someone at 28 (age when duran fought him) having a record of 1-3.

But Duran beat Sugar Ray, and thats all you have to say about how great he was. But give Loma a few more fights, so far he isn't disappointing.

Comment

• Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                  Watch Duran. He looked like something out of Animal Planet. NOT normal explosiveness and true killer instinct. Lomachenko is a cute little baby. Duran would slaughter him.
                  Lol Duran was a wild savage beast!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                    Potentially the world could end tomorrow. If DeJesus could beat him numerous others could?? DeJesus was one hell of a fighter. Who did Loma fight that was as good as DeJesus?? Seriously. DeJesus had a record of 58 wins and 5 loses..
                    Well I don't know... that's the thing ain't it? People mainly rate Dejesus because he beat Duran... once - so it's kinda a circular argument. Outside of that how do we objectively say? That's the whole thrust of what I'm getting at... not that Loma is somehow this amazing talent that could beat ATGs but that the ATGs were just fighters (albeit very good ones) whose legends have grown over the years until they're seen as these unbeatable monsters.

You get me a time machine, man, and we'll resolve this. Until then I'm putting my money on the fact that neither boxing nor human beings themselves have devolved so much since the 70s that a top ten fighter of today would be out of his depth against a similar level fighter from back in the day.

And once again, just to for clarity, I'm not commenting on the thread topic (whether Loma would beat Duran) but on the broader issue of people claiming that fighters like Duran (or other ATGs) are incomparably better than their modern counterparts H2H. All I'm saying is that there's no reason to imagine it'd be some kind of whitewash as many here seem to think.
                    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 05-22-2018, 02:25 AM.

Comment

• Chenko punches like a cruiserweight, Duran only takes a punch like a light heavyweight.

Comment

Working...
                      X