Collapse
No announcement yet.

The problem with Badou Jack is...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the plan was to wait for Stevenson to tire. His trainer kept going on about it. Stevenson is dangerous in early rounds so he had to be careful. Around the 3rd round it was clear that the left wasn't really there for Stevenson. The body punches was key to Jack not totally dominating the last 6 rounds. Stevenson landed some heavy shots which kind of tampered Jack's offense late in the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by HarvardBlue View Post
      I think the plan was to wait for Stevenson to tire. His trainer kept going on about it. Stevenson is dangerous in early rounds so he had to be careful. Around the 3rd round it was clear that the left wasn't really there for Stevenson. The body punches was key to Jack not totally dominating the last 6 rounds. Stevenson landed some heavy shots which kind of tampered Jack's offense late in the fight.
      It was certainly the plan and it always seems to be the plan...when it hasn't worked so often, then maybe it is time to change that plan.

No fighter can win on points by losing 6 rounds, it really is as simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        ...that he starts too slow. I had Stevenson winning all 6 of the first half of rounds. All Jack did was keep stepping back and not do anything. Throw punches? A few. Land any? Even fewer. All the while Stevenson was coming forward and throwing punches...i.e. boxing.
        I missed the fight, but I agree with you 100% in Jack's previous fights & have no reason to doubt your take on this fight Jack starts far too slow in fights.

Why does he do it? He doesn't have bad stamina and yet he has wasted rounds against DeGale, Groves and even a shot Bute.
        I think its his process for better or worse. He sees what his opponent does in those first few rounds & makes the needed adjustments to contend with that. And he usually makes good decisions there, but yea for w/e reason it appears to take him too long to get to that point. Or thats my take on it anyway.

If you waste almost half thE fight, unless you get multiple kds, you cant win the fight, it is IMPOSSIBLE.
        Not untrue. Sometimes I don't think some boxers fully grasp on how the scoring of boxing conflicts with elements of their style to make them more likely to lose (or win for the guys with good tactics) a round & therefore can put them behind the 8ball early in a fight trying to secure a draw first & a win second. Its a bit much to ask of young fighters.

Maybe he needs to stop whinging about mayweather and start fighting.
        I don't really see Jack as THAT guy. I do think he's upset in his loses (or draws) & shows it outwardly cuz he's not able to hid it as good as some perhaps, but I can't begrudge fighters that sorta emotion after a bad outcome is announced. I mean think about it the way you take a L or a non-win in boxing has gotta be among the worst ways to take a L or non-W in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by lopetego View Post
          Badou Jack is like Canelo, if Canelo wasn't the darling of the judges

he's good enough to beat the top dogs, but just barely

too bad he's not a cash cow, otherwise those draws would be W's
          I actually thought HE deserved the nod in those previous two draws & therefore his opponent got the "A side, cash cow, money fighter, house fighter" edge therefore Jack's deserved W turned into a D.

Comment

Jack definitely won the 4th, and the only clear rounds for Stevenson were the 5th and 6th. Jack needed one of those first three rounds and they were all toss-ups he could have nabbed. He needs to do more to avoid this situation repeating itself like it has.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mack. View Post
              Winners win, losers lose, badou jack draws

Comment

Working...
              X