No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin Promoter Noncommittal Regarding IBF Mandatory

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 7not8 View Post
    I sense a vacant IBF fight to be announced after that 90 days is up because I don't see GGG passing on a rematch with Saul Alvarez.
    Fight is supposed to be within 90 days; the purse bid will be called well in advance of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      Name an incident of corruption. You made the claim so it's on you to provide the evidence.
      In his defense:

In boxing, there are four major world championship governing bodies: the WBC, WBA, WBO, and IBF.

The IBF (International Boxing Federation) is one of the younger governing bodies, beginning operations in 1984. Their rankings and championship title shots were almost immediately paid for, by $338,000 in bribes.

The IBF's rankings would depend on the merit of the boxers in their particular division, but fighters with a big-pocket promoter, like Don King, could pay to advance.

Bribes from big promoters ensured their fighters stayed ranked above other fighters just getting by.

This scheme would go on for over 13 years before an investigation was made, and IBF President Robert Lee was arrested, along with three other officials who were charged with taking bribes.

Over 23 boxers and 7 promoters, including Don King and Top Rank's Bob Arum, were revealed to have been involved in fights tainted by bribes.

Arum said he paid $100,000 in 1995 to have George Foreman not have to face his mandatory.

The IBF fed Foreman Alex Schulz, who was defeated by majority decision.

In the end, Lee was convicted on bribery charges and served 22 months in prison and paid $25,000 in fines.
      But those cases of corruption in the IBF are few and far between. But after being named president in 09 I think, Daryl Peoples has the IBF on a short leash and has been as straight and narrow as you can get from a sanctioning body. Granted, their rankings has ALWAYS been wacky.

Comment

• Originally posted by Street15 View Post
        In his defense:

But those cases of corruption in the IBF are few and far between. But after being named president in 09 I think, IBF has been as straight and narrow as you can get.
        That's what led the IBF to being the strictest sanctioning body there is today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
          That's what led the IBF to being the strictest sanctioning body there is today.
          Correct. No argument there.

Comment

• "Golovkin must agree in writing before the fight that he will next fight the IBF middleweight mandatory within 90 days of the May 5 bout or by Friday, Aug. 3, 2018."

Saturday is the deadline if I'm reading this correctly.....

Comment

• Well gee, a 36 year old at the end of his career decides a belt he has to pay money for isn't worth it to fight a possibly tough opponent with no name recognition, compared to the other option: a higher ranked/proven p4p opponent which is guaranteed to net him at least $10 million dollars (far more money than option A).

Damn, what a dumb decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metho_4u View Post
                My dream iz to get all bels max
                Lmao. I read your quote in my GGG voice and it was spot on!

Comment

• I think this is just an instance of Loeffler declining to speak for his boss, especially in regards to a situation as sensitive and fluid as this.

GGG has taken more control over his career in recent years, see: GGG promotions.

That being said, it will be wack as hell if GGG drops the IBF belt in favor of a Canelo fight and he would deserve some criticism because he been talking that undisputed goal for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    Fight is supposed to be within 90 days; the purse bid will be called well in advance of that.
                    Oh my bad. I sense a fight for the vacant IBF 160LB Middleweight Championship belt.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7not8 View Post
                      Lmao. I read your quote in my GGG voice and it was spot on!
                      HA! I will have to try that

Comment

Working...
                      X