No announcement yet.

Boxing = a diva sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing = a diva sport?

Has boxing turned into a diva sport, compared to other combat sports?

In sumo, the wrestlers only fight those promoted to the same level as themselves. In UFC, the best fights the best constantly. In kickboxing, the situation is the same as in UFC. In combat sports in general, the best fights the best. In boxing, though, we have divas like Golovkin and Mayweather, who are always so sickingly careful about who they fight and who they don't.

In other combat sports, they have serious weight divisions. In UFC, for example, it goes 125 lbs, 135 lbs, 145 lbs, etc., that's a logical system. 10 pounds should be the minimum distance between two divisions. In boxing, there seems to be hundreds of different weight divisions... That's a ****ing joke. If you lose to a guy who is 2 pounds heavier than you, you lost because you're a worse fighter, don't use those 2 silly pounds as en excuse...

In boxing, you can always become a champion even without fighting any good opponents. There are so many free belts flying around that the title of "champion" doesn't mean **** anymore. You can be the WBC/WBA/IBF/KKK/HBO or whatever champion now, it's confusing as **** and robs us of soo many good fights.

There is basically only one fight point in which boxing is more masculine than MMA. At least boxing doesn't whine about steroids as much as UFC does, we should just make that **** legal so we can get better fights.

Idk that you can blame the sport so much. Most other sports became what they became cuz they got turned into legal monopolies. Thats what any sports league needs. BUT because of the IBC back in the 50's(?) & that lawsuit that prevents boxing to have an entity that thinks first & foremost for boxing while also taking revenue from the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Idk that you can blame the sport so much. Most other sports became what they became cuz they got turned into legal monopolies. Thats what any sports league needs. BUT because of the IBC back in the 50's(?) & that lawsuit that prevents boxing to have an entity that thinks first & foremost for boxing while also taking revenue from the sport.
      Would it even be possible to open some new kind of promotion completely unrelated to the current broken system? Like how Pride FC got made despite UFC's existence?

Comment

Originally posted by Banko Villas View Post
        Would it even be possible to open some new kind of promotion completely unrelated to the current broken system? Like how Pride FC got made despite UFC's existence?
        I'd assume there is a way to get around that IBC ruling or to get the ultimate end result wanted via a monopoly w/o a monopoly, but I wouldn't surmise to know how that would be done exactly & this is just me theorizing.

PERSONALLY it would seem to me the easiest way to go about this is for the major promoters/powerful en****** to join forces to become "owners" of a bigger boxing landscape & with a combined roster of fighters that would give them a defacto monopoly on talent. I mean imagine the roster under Arum, Oscar, Haymon, Hearn, Warren, Main Events, K2, Sauerland, Ringstar, etc & so on. That would be the NFL of boxing on day 1.

Problem is good luck getting all those people to sign on despite the overall health of the sport being improved which is likely enhancing the revenue in the sport + it'll make the popularity of boxing more stable & less dependent on the "next big fight".

Comment

The weight classes are too close together and there are too many champions in all weight classes and too many average fighters fighting each other for vacant world titles. Even so boxing is still my favorite combat sport by far

Comment

Working...
          X