Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yeah he lost to Barrera, but Barrera wasn't his first fight here in the states.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah he lost to Barrera, but Barrera wasn't his first fight here in the states.

You all remember this guy.

Side note: I have to throw this in there. Junior Jones kod Barrera and beat him twice. For Hamed fans lol.

Back to Hamed.

As far as UK fighters who came here. Off the top of my head with the help of reminder lmao here is who came to the states for money and greatness:

Lennox came, Cal came, Froch came, Hatton came, Benn came, Khan came, Bruno came, Buchanon came, McGuigan and Conteh came and I grew uo watching them fight here, my name Raggamuffin aka Honeyghan and Bugner came-as well as a few others from the UK

Nobody had a bigger splash on a big stage from the UK than this guy imo. Was he beat by a Barrera who used clenbuterol? Possible. But I loved this guy. I got hate here in the states for liking this guy too.

I first saw Hamed as a teenager on MSG when they used to show UK prospects and loved his style for a small guy. Hamed I believe was a bantamweight when I first saw him.

Joshua should take a page out of this guys book and come here for the fight.

https://youtu.be/VqrwAqkTKQE

Merchant: whooooooooooa!!!

Lampley on Kelley: He's gone...

Big George: He's for real, the Prince is for real...!!!

Hamed went on to become the highest paid Featherweight in boxing history.

Come on over Joshua. Greatness awaits you!

Comment

Hamed wasn't great. Far from it. He was an "entertainer" I guess but the way he got schooled and then just retired said a lot about his character and inability to adapt. He found out he wasn't invincible and didn't have the character to prove himself.

Over time he's gotten overrated but I do appreciate the attention he brought back to Featherweights.

Also if Barrera is suspicious so is Hamed. He came from a gym that has been suspect for juicing too.

Comment

Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post
        You all remember this guy.

Side note: I have to throw this in there. Junior Jones kod Barrera and beat him twice. For Hamed fans lol.

Back to Hamed.

As far as UK fighters who came here. Off the top of my head with the help of reminder lmao here is who came to the states for money and greatness:

Lennox came, Cal came, Froch came, Hatton came, Benn came, Khan came, Bruno came, Buchanon came, McGuigan and Conteh came and I grew uo watching them fight here, my name Raggamuffin aka Honeyghan and Bugner came-as well as a few others from the UK

Nobody had a bigger splash on a big stage from the UK than this guy imo. Was he beat by a Barrera who used clenbuterol? Possible. But I loved this guy. I got hate here in the states for liking this guy too.

I first saw Hamed as a teenager on MSG when they used to show UK prospects and loved his style for a small guy. Hamed I believe was a bantamweight when I first saw him.
        I had a soft spot for Hamed before he got famous since he saved a mate of mine from a beating outside a nightclub many years ago. He went on to be absolutely massive in the UK, signed a big deal with Sky and sadly stagnated and stopped progressing as a boxer. He didn't address his flaws and when he got in with a top guy he paid the price. He fought too long as a big fish in a small pond. He should've gone to US sooner in my view and taken some easier fights to ease himself in and iron out the defensive flaws. Superb unorthodox talent though and so exciting to watch until the ringwalks got longer than the fights...

Joshua should take a page out of this guys book and come here for the fight.
        No doubt he will at some point. Although it's no longer the inevitable draw it once was. Boxing is thriving on this side of the pond at the moment.

By the way I get the scepticism you and others have for British home cooking. Just remember that in all the fights you mention and many more we had exactly the same concerns, frequently very well founded.

I'm still wondering what fight the judges in Lewis Holyfield I were watching!

Comment

A lot of people like to rewrite history when it comes to Naseem. They forget that he held the IBF, WBO, WBC and beat the WBA hodler just before he was stripped. He fought who was available and by the time he got to the elite levels of Barrera he'd split with Ingle, had back surgery and broken his hand against Mccullogh which he needed injections for. Look at his hands in the Sky interview after the Eubank fight, they're like balloons the poor guy. He was one of the best things about boxing in the 90s along with RJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
            Hamed wasn't great. Far from it. He was an "entertainer" I guess but the way he got schooled and then just retired said a lot about his character and inability to adapt. He found out he wasn't invincible and didn't have the character to prove himself.

Over time he's gotten overrated but I do appreciate the attention he brought back to Featherweights.

Also if Barrera is suspicious so is Hamed. He came from a gym that has been suspect for juicing too.
            Hamed was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post
              Merchant: whooooooooooa!!!

Lampley on Kelley: He's gone...

Big George: He's for real, the Prince is for real...!!!

Hamed went on to become the highest paid Featherweight in boxing history.

Come on over Joshua. Greatness awaits you!
              Boxing was a lot bigger in the States back in Naz's day than it is now.

I was also a big fan of his back then, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post

Hamed came here doe. He didn’t lowball his opponents like Boom Boom Johnson and Kelley and others. He came here for fame.

Hamed could've stayed in the UK and made everyone come there to fight him. Instead he came to America.

We had heard about him(I was an instant fan) but we had to see it to believe it. Hamed made a lot of fans in NY that day.

Hamed was great. He tarnished his legacy a bit against a clenbuterol filled MAB.

And there were serious rumors that Barrera juiced for that fight. Whether it was clenbuterol or whatever he was on something. Barrera was huge that night.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                  Boxing was a lot bigger in the States back in Naz's day than it is now.

I was also a big fan of his back then, btw.
                  Nobody wanted to fight Kelley and Hamed came here to Kelley’s home town and kod him inside 4 rounds. Hamed came here. He came.

Comment

The point is Hamed came here. Put it all on the line and came here. He fought the guy considered the best FW or one of the best and beat him and became huge.

Comment

Working...
                    X