No announcement yet.

Anthony Joshua talking about fighting MMA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
    Only way this makes sense is if stipe defends the belt a couple more times and proves that he's a star. I don't think it works if Cormier beats him, well it probably does but miocic just seems more like a legit heavy at this point.
    Agree Miocic is a more viable opponent I just don't know if he's THAT sellable. Potentially Ngannou could be huge if he corrects his errors. That f#cking fight poster with Ngannou vs Joshua would account for 1M PPV buys alone. Thing is Ngannou gets to do more than look the part.

And if Jon doesn't get suspended for 30yrs from his current situation I think he could be huge himself real quick. They've been hinting at Jon Jones vs Brock Lesner forever. If Jon beats Brock that is gonna get Jon at a all time high of popularity.

And hell if he loses Brock vs Joshua could be a thing that could potentially do the best numbers of all the options since Brock is a proven top PPV guy.

Either way I believe it's all talk , but the idea of it pretty cool. The heavyweight aspect helps it alot
    Its always talk til its not. When you get the mainstream attention Joshua could be getting worldwide in another year or so all sorts of sh^t is gonna be more in play. Ali fought a pro wrestler. Floyd fought Conor. Seen some old clips of boxers fighting kangeroos & sh^t in the old timey anything goes days. Whatever sells tickets & get PPV buys. And Joshua fighting a MMA guy in the ring or cage is gonna sell some f#cking PPV's.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Exactly.

Don't think Hearn & Joshua aren't seeing this Floyd sh^t & throwing that idea (&/or the Conor vs Floyd in the ring idea) into their blueprint. They'd be stupid not to.

difference here is that floyd is retired and joshua is in his prime and just starting to make his way into the catbox seat and highest billing in boxing. also consider that boxing in its entirety is contained within MMA, and it's much easier to jump from one to the other if you're going to the sport with parameters contained within your sport instead of the one where you'll have to learn an entirely new sport.

joshyua's not an idiot, neither is eddie hearn. it's good publicity to talk like this. it's not practical, likely, or going to end well if they do take an MMA fight.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        floyd is not going to even take an MMA fight. and they're not going to pay him 250 million for it. just trust me when i say that. he's doing what he's done in the past, using the prospect of a fight to generate publicity for other things. in boxing he did it for other fights, but he's retired now.
        I didn't think Floyd vs Conor would happen so you're in good company.

the highest MMA purses ever are less than charles martin's guarantee vs joshua. just let that sink in.
        Yawn, gone over this a million times. Bored of trying to convince boxing fans MMA guys are getting PPV points.

And like I said it could be Joshua vs a MMA guy in the ring to. Mark it down or whatever doe its happening. I was saying this sh^t was gonna happen before Floyd vs Conor I just didn't think it'd be Floyd vs Conor or it'd happen so soon. And its gonna happen again. And Joshua is the best option for it to happen to these days.

Comment

I didn't think Floyd vs Conor would happen so you're in good company.

Yawn, gone over this a million times. Bored of trying to convince boxing fans MMA guys are getting PPV points.

And like I said it could be Joshua vs a MMA guy in the ring to. Mark it down or whatever doe its happening. I was saying this sh^t was gonna happen before Floyd vs Conor I just didn't think it'd be Floyd vs Conor or it'd happen so soon. And its gonna happen again. And Joshua is the best option for it to happen to these days.

ppv points ? what he **** are those? convince me that any MMA guys in history make a tiny fraction of what top ppv boxers make. i'm listening

floyd vs connor was a boxing match. i don't give a **** if joshua takes a boxing match against an MMA can. not what i was talking about. trhead is about joshya fighitng mma, which is not f#cking happening! especialyl when he's 28 and his opponents are making more than the top paid MMA guy OF ALL TIME

Comment

Agree Miocic is a more viable opponent I just don't know if he's THAT sellable. Potentially Ngannou could be huge if he corrects his errors. That f#cking fight poster with Ngannou vs Joshua would account for 1M PPV buys alone. Thing is Ngannou gets to do more than look the part.

And if Jon doesn't get suspended for 30yrs from his current situation I think he could be huge himself real quick. They've been hinting at Jon Jones vs Brock Lesner forever. If Jon beats Brock that is gonna get Jon at a all time high of popularity.

And hell if he loses Brock vs Joshua could be a thing that could potentially do the best numbers of all the options since Brock is a proven top PPV guy.

Its always talk til its not. When you get the mainstream attention Joshua could be getting worldwide in another year or so all sorts of sh^t is gonna be more in play. Ali fought a pro wrestler. Floyd fought Conor. Seen some old clips of boxers fighting kangeroos & sh^t in the old timey anything goes days. Whatever sells tickets & get PPV buys. And Joshua fighting a MMA guy in the ring or cage is gonna sell some f#cking PPV's.
            Ngannou would be great and possibly competitive, that fight would definitely sell just because their both massive strong guys. Him and lesner sound great on paper but I fear aj would just get toyed around especially when Brock gets his hands on him. The Jones fight imo is the biggest, I Think most of us recognize Jon as the best and probably biggest star outside Conner. Especially like you said if he fights and beats Brock.

Just worry about the fight being competitive, and exciting. I know Jones, stipe, and Francis would bring some good action because of their ability to stand. But a guy like Brock can make it real ugly just by gaining position and controlling him.

Either way the whole idea is pretty interesting, don't expect much to come from it but would be big. And people don't understand the exposure this could give an already massive star

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              ppv points ? what he **** are those? convince me that any MMA guys in history make a tiny fraction of what top ppv boxers make. i'm listening
              Yawn lol. Go look up some old threads. Go look up that Couture PPV deal he leaked back in 2003 or w/e & do the math on cats around today. This is old sh^t brother.

floyd vs connor was a boxing match. i don't give a **** if joshua takes a boxing match against an MMA can. not what i was talking about. trhead is about joshya fighitng mma, which is not f#cking happening! especialyl when he's 28 and his opponents are making more than the top paid MMA guy OF ALL TIME
              Its all in play. HW's in MMA barely got ground games. Its mostly standup boxing with some rougher tactics & kicking basically so its not far fetched to think Joshua could transition to MMA for a fight or two with some matchmaking.

Like Joshua vs Derrick Lewis would be a fun a$$ fight tomorrow & Lewis ain't gonna take Joshua down or kick him or nothing. Mark Hunt would look like an elf vs Joshua, but that dude ain't taking Joshua down or requiring Joshua to spend 5 years getting a blue belt in BJJ. And one of th guys mentioned, Ngannou, ain't got no ground game either. So its much different for a HW to convert to MMA than a lighter weight guy cuz those lighter weight guys got more tactics.

Its just like boxing in that way. Power is the great equalizer vs skills which is why ever top 10 flyweight could teach your kid boxing basics & why half of the top 10 HW's would probably have a hard time teaching your kid the proper stance after 10 minutes of activity when he's a lil winded.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
                Ngannou would be great and possibly competitive, that fight would definitely sell just because their both massive strong guys. Him and lesner sound great on paper but I fear aj would just get toyed around especially when Brock gets his hands on him.
                Yea agree. Brock vs Joshua would HAVE to be in the cage (vs the ring) cuz Brock isn't a fan of getting hit. I mean he won't be THAT scared of it, but wrestling wins him the fight. He's never KOing any guy who's got some hands.

The Jones fight imo is the biggest, I Think most of us recognize Jon as the best and probably biggest star outside Conner. Especially like you said if he fights and beats Brock.
                I've always felt Jon has under performed on PPV. He's among the top PPV guys, but he's not close to big big numbers Like Conor, Ronda or Brock were/are. But yea I think a Lesnar W helps him out. And I think embracing his inner a$$hole would do wonders for his public persona. He's the Floyd of MMA, but keeps acting like he's a good Christian guy as he bangs 7 other girls besides his wife, hit & runs, gets busted with coke & weed & w/e the f#ck he's done that I'm forgetting. If Jon just turned full heel I think he does better PPV numbers & that'd be a great angle for a Joshua fight cuz Joshua seems legit genuine & nice guy-ish & doesn't come off fake like Jon does when he tries to portray that persona.

Just worry about the fight being competitive, and exciting. I know Jones, stipe, and Francis would bring some good action because of their ability to stand. But a guy like Brock can make it real ugly just by gaining position and controlling him.
                True. The buildup for something like this would be huge, but the reality of it could be Ali vs Anoki for f#cking sure lol.

Either way the whole idea is pretty interesting, don't expect much to come from it but would be big. And people don't understand the exposure this could give an already massive star
                I think you are under rating the people who give no f#cks about combat sports that would be into this sorta lil kid talking about fantasy bs (Hulk vs Thing who wins type sh^t) appeal these types of fights have.

I think boxing & MMA guys will by majority opinion always sorta hate this type of sh^t regardless if they watch it or not (& I suspect the majority will still watch while they b^tch cuz combat sports fans are dedicated & loyal to a fault if nothing else), but the people who are just sports fans or spectacle fans would be into this sh^t on another level. These sorta fights are like Corrales vs Castillo fights for sport & spectacle fans. They can't stay away if they wanted to.

Comment

Yea agree. Brock vs Joshua would HAVE to be in the cage (vs the ring) cuz Brock isn't a fan of getting hit. I mean he won't be THAT scared of it, but wrestling wins him the fight. He's never KOing any guy who's got some hands.

I've always felt Jon has under performed on PPV. He's among the top PPV guys, but he's not close to big big numbers Like Conor, Ronda or Brock were/are. But yea I think a Lesnar W helps him out. And I think embracing his inner a$$hole would do wonders for his public persona. He's the Floyd of MMA, but keeps acting like he's a good Christian guy as he bangs 7 other girls besides his wife, hit & runs, gets busted with coke & weed & w/e the f#ck he's done that I'm forgetting. If Jon just turned full heel I think he does better PPV numbers & that'd be a great angle for a Joshua fight cuz Joshua seems legit genuine & nice guy-ish & doesn't come off fake like Jon does when he tries to portray that persona.

True. The buildup for something like this would be huge, but the reality of it could be Ali vs Anoki for f#cking sure lol.

I think you are under rating the people who give no f#cks about combat sports that would be into this sorta lil kid talking about fantasy bs (Hulk vs Thing who wins type sh^t) appeal these types of fights have.

I think boxing & MMA guys will by majority opinion always sorta hate this type of sh^t regardless if they watch it or not (& I suspect the majority will still watch while they b^tch cuz combat sports fans are dedicated & loyal to a fault if nothing else), but the people who are just sports fans or spectacle fans would be into this sh^t on another level. These sorta fights are like Corrales vs Castillo fights for sport & spectacle fans. They can't stay away if they wanted to.
                  Yea the fight with Brock personally seems the least appealing compared to the other guy s. One guy is strictly stand up, the other basicly just wrestler. Those fights seem to usually be uneventful, or entirely one sided.

Lol the part on Jones gave me a laugh. Completely right, he tries to come off as this good dude but you knows he's probably one of the biggest dicks you can meet. He should just try and be the villain like you said, it's seems far more natural to him. Its hard to buy the nice act he can put on, and being the heel is far more compelling.

Probably right about how much the fight would sell. Forget boxing fans and mma fans i can definitely see people who watch neither get into it similar to Floyd and Connor. And people love heavyweight so that aspect helps

I think the way they maximize the potential profit is by making this in the ufc, possibly make it so people give Joshua more of a chance to win. I know Dana would love this opportunity

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    When he finds out Floyd Floyd is going to make about $150 mil pounds for an easy MMA fight and $300 mil pounds for Conor, AJ is going to get some MMA loot as well.
                    This.........

Comment

Working...
                    X