No announcement yet.

"I can't continue to love a sport that doesn't love me back." - Teddy Atlas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Idunnoshet View Post
    Yeah bro . It's tough when your 11 year old son loses his first fight. But get over it man. Catch that rematch at the next show .
    I'm not sure what you're implying, I haven't lived out that dream yet I was blessed with a daughter.

Comment

As much as I agree that boxing needs a new system to ensure bad decisions are out and that consistency is upheld, I don't really see any other sport that I quite enjoy as much when I am in particular, emotionally invested in a fighter since I am a fan.

Boxing is such a good sport from the bottom level up. You can make really good friends with some nice to some really crazy ass mofo's. You can be part of a pretty niche sport and just enjoy it for the ups rather than dwell on the downs.

We lived to fight another day. No matter the wounds and scars, our fight is to continue.

Comment

North America:

“When and where you are right, but you are the fish out of the water”

If you don’t act and say what everyone says, you are just crazy, instead of right.

Long live the sheeps.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw_nano View Post
          For the first time ever I witnessed a judge rob a amateur boxer, Let that sink in.

Comment

if ggg/canelo is a closeish fight like the 1st with most people thinking ggg won, will you be more shocked if ggg gets the decision or if canelo gets it? That tells you how ****ed up this sport is now.

Comment

For the first time ever I witnessed a judge rob a amateur boxer, Let that sink in.

You havent ever watched olympic boxing?

Comment

Sh^t %-wise I think I've seen more robbery's (a robbery being the wrong guy won & it wasn't close enough to have gone either way in my eyes) in the amateurs then the pros. Idk wtf Atlas is talking about if thats a legit quote by him.

Comment

Originally posted by PensionKiller View Post
                  As much as I agree that boxing needs a new system to ensure bad decisions are out and that consistency is upheld, I don't really see any other sport that I quite enjoy as much when I am in particular, emotionally invested in a fighter since I am a fan.

Boxing is such a good sport from the bottom level up. You can make really good friends with some nice to some really crazy ass mofo's. You can be part of a pretty niche sport and just enjoy it for the ups rather than dwell on the downs.

We lived to fight another day. No matter the wounds and scars, our fight is to continue.
                  I see your point of view because I've been there I've been in the ring and I have sacrificed my body for this sport as well as emotionally investing myself in a fighter so I know the roller-coaster all too well.

This sport saves young men's life's or at least it used to all the non cool unpopular kids that were picked on in school would be at the gym were everyone is treated equally the place were you felt like you mattered. Ironically you now have to be popular to win.

So much has changed I don't see it the same anymore I loved the sport for what it did for me but I know it's lost that fundamental impact. I used to hurry to the gym everyday after class so I could use some of the loner equipment before they were all taken up. I go to the same gym now and everyone has the latest equipment top of the line equipment like it'll make em better cause it cost more.

I guess it's just a big issue to me, but I know a few will understand where I'm coming from.

Comment

I see your point of view because I've been there I've been in the ring and I have sacrificed my body for this sport as well as emotionally investing myself in a fighter so I know the roller-coaster all too well.

This sport saves young men's life's or at least it used to all the non cool unpopular kids that were picked on in school would be at the gym were everyone is treated equally the place were you felt like you mattered. Ironically you now have to be popular to win.

So much has changed I don't see it the same anymore I loved the sport for what it did for me but I know it's lost that fundamental impact. I used to hurry to the gym everyday after class so I could use some of the loner equipment before they were all taken up. I go to the same gym now and everyone has the latest equipment top of the line equipment like it'll make em better cause it cost more.

I guess it's just a big issue to me, but I know a few will understand where I'm coming from.
                    In many ways with the internet and people not being as poor that they couldn't afford some form of luxury, things have changed. However I am sure we can adapt to that too.

There are plenty of poor gyms around I bet. My Muay Thai gym has stinky shin pads for example that people share and there's this comradely still.

Perhaps you can become a boxing trainer for the kids or something? When we reach a certain age, it's not time to participate as someone who joins in, but it's time to use our knowledge and experience to participate as someone who can share.

Staagnation is a part of life while the World moves forward. We need to either move with it, or share our slightly older knowledge which is lost.

Comment

I think I'm done fellas, just recently I went and watched a live boxing event at The Belasco Theater in LA. It was a Golden Boy event ameture boxing. For the first time ever I witnessed a judge rob a amateur boxer, Let that sink in.

Don't get it? Ametures are making a few hundred dollars at best that's if they're even getting paid, so what's the point of doing it. I thought about it so hard because this bothered me far more than any PPV boxing event that had a controversial ending. It really pissed me off that kid earned it and the damn judges took it from him.

So I kept asking myself why has it reached the purest form of boxing, to a level where it's not about money you do it because you love it. The only thing that I came up with is that boxing is suffering from the Trickle-Down Effect, (look it up) it's just the norm now.

It's very sad to say but we all know this to be a problem but we still shell out the dough to see someone's face smashed but the guy that gets his faced smashed wins. I guess we reap what we sow. We (the boxing fans) did it.

Gentlemen,
                      it's been a pleasure.
                      First of all no amateurs make a couple hundred dollars, maybe like 30-50 bucks at the most.

Also, Am's been fixed for decades dude. This isn't new by any means. Not sure why you're just seeing this now.

Comment

Working...
                      X