Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather is in my top 3 of all time let the hate begin!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... And that undefeated record matters. Thing is when a lot of other greats lose people just put it down to them being 'past prime' seems as if there's hundreds of fighters on here who were unbeatable in there 'prime', which basically meant them having a good couple of years before someone figured them out lol.

Comment

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Floyd was/is a business man, he's after making money, he is a great fighter, could he be considered one the greatest, yeah, some people may argue one way or the other, but to me, you take on all comers to be the best ever, boxing is a business now and fights are taken because they don't make "money" sense, well back in the day, boxers fought everyone, that's why they had over 100 fights, so how can you really compare the two?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue54 View Post
        Ricky Hatton, Juan Manuel Marquez
        LOL & Hatton and Marquez? Dude had BARELY got to 135 for two fights and then jumped up two weight divisions with no tune-ups. For perspective when Marquez was fighting Barrera in his first fight above 126, Floyd was fighting De La Hoya at 154.

It's funny how that's painted as Marquez being in his prime at his best weight class.

Comment

You could probably argue he isn't even in the top 3 Welterweights's of all time let alone all time P4P. And i'm a big Floyd fan as well.

Comment

all time lists are very subjective. it's almost impossible to compare fighters from past eras with current ones. the landscape of the sport is so much different these days, with the main emphasis on building ppv stars to maximize profit. it's hard to imagine modern fighters going undefeated so long if they fought every couple weeks, hundreds of times throughout their careers. nowadays fighters may only take a handful of truly challenging fights in their entire career. best we can do is speculate who may have beaten who head to head between current and past greats and just enjoy them for what they were.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Cool View Post
              Genaro Hernandez- Within two years of being a pro for Floyd. Hernandez was #1 ranked in that division and had never lost at that weight.

Diego Corrales- #1 at 130 and #5 p4p. Much taller, longer reach, crazy power, undefeated, top 5 p4p, in his prime.

Castillo I and Castillo II- In his lw debut he took on the #1 lw in the world.

Judah- Judah was considered the top ww before Baldomir beat him and was still considered the best by many, as he "wasn't focused" (Zab did have a history of let downs in "easy fights") Prime and focused.

Baldomir- Unified all four belts at ww. Baldie had almost 20 pounds on Floyd and hadn't lost in almost 10 years.

ODLH- #1 154 pounder in the world and still a p4p fighter. Again, huge size advantage for ODLH.

Hatton- Undefeated. Floyd was said to be ducking repeatedly. Closest odds for Floyd as a pro.

JMM- Top 3 p4p. Later, JMM KO'd #2 p4p Pac at 147.

Mosley- Top 3 p4p, and #1 welterweight.

Cotto- Despite earlier efforts at making the fight Arum would not allow Cotto to, saying Cotto wasn't ready. Soon as his contract was up with TR, he had no problem making the fight. At 154, a huge advantage for Cotto.

Canelo-Undefeated, much bigger, and another fighter Floyd was "ducking" Today, Canelo is a top 5 p4p fighter. His only loss as a pro is still Mayweather.

Pac

From after JMM until he Berto Floyd fought the highest ranked ww that would fight him or the #1 154 pound fighter in the world. Literally.

Only a hater would claim none of those are great wins. Floyd was arrogant, but he was without a doubt the greatest boxer for two straight generations. Hate on Troll! And watch some old Floyd fights for fun! Then you will see why boxing experts call him the best p4p boxer of all time.
              I wouldn't class all of those as great wins.

I guess it depends on your definition of great.

I don't think Corrales had a longer reach. Floyd had a huge reach for a fighter of his size. I respect the win though.

I respect the Castillo wins, the first one was close.

He deliberately cheated Marquez on the scales, which was completely unnecessary.

He demanded a C-W against Canelo, despite the fact that Canelo had a belt and he'd already publicly stated that he didn't care what Canelo hydrated to. Canelo wasn't the fighter of today, as he seemed terrified of getting countered. Although he was much heavier and stronger than Floyd, he wasn't bigger in terms of height and reach, and he was considerably slower.

I think the win over Oscar was his best win, but Oscar was faded and had been inactive.

I wouldn't class the Mosley win as being great.

I wouldn't class the Cotto win as being great.

I wouldn't class the Judah win as being great.

I don't know how anyone could class the Baldomir win as being great.

The Hatton fight was big due to the hype, but it was fought at WW, he had a huge reach advantage, and Hatton was never elite.

The win over Manny also wasn't great.

I'd say he had lots of very good wins.

For me, the win over Oscar stands out more than any other.

Comment

SRR is number 1.

number 2 is for debate but Floyd in in the conversation

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Cool View Post
                  Duran was moving up two weight classes. Benitez? Hearns is a good win, not great.

You can argue that the from 1998-2015 there were no great fighters. But Floyd constantly fought the best out there. Numerous, NUMEROUS fights against p4p guys. Without a doubt the best resume of the last 20 years.

Corrales was a great win. Zab was a great win. JMM was a great win. Cry that he moved up two divisions, but he did ko #2 p4p behind Floyd in his next fight at ww. Mosley was considered and ranked as the better ww an the harder opponent. He took it and humiliated him. Then came the excuses.

Canelo was a great win. Guy damn near 40 humiliated a top p4p fighter in his prime who was much bigger.

Still, hate on! I like that you don't let silly little facts like always fighting the best get in the way of your opinions. But that is why they are called opinions. While Floyd always fighting the very best and always beating the best is a FACT. That is what history already says.
                  Just stop.

You obviously don't want to debate.

Wins over Zab and Canelo were great wins, but Leonard knocking out Hearns was only a GOOD win?

GTFO you nut.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdonalds View Post
                    Pac was ranked above Mosley but ducked Mosley LOL

Pac refused to fight Floyd in March because of drug testing, he backed out not Floyd LOL.

Who was he supposed to fight?
                    Don't tell me that you actually believe that it was the testing that prevented an earlier fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
                      Boxrec currently has Floyd as the greatest pound for pound boxer of all time and the greatest welterweight of all time. I'm not sure if I agree with that but Floyd certainly has a case.

I'd place Floyd as the third pound for pound best fighter in history, behind Ray Robinson and Muhammad Ali and ahead of guys like Chavez, Holyfield, Foreman, Ray Leonard, and Roy Jones.
                      The greatest WW of all time?

Ha!

A safety first fighter with hand issues pot shotting over matched opponents?

Floyd's peak was at the lower weights.

They've lost all credibility with that claim.

Comment

Working...
                      X