No announcement yet.

All the best American HW's are in the NBA/NFL

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
    Boxing is significantly more popular overseas than it is America, that excuse doesn't work. It's like the 10th most popular sport here, probably worse.

If Wilder was European he'd be a star like AJ is. Even Dylan Whyte gets more recognition than Wilder. Guys like Abraham, Wlad, stars in Germany. Even Adamek had huge support from the Polish crowd.
    Of course it works. There's millions of soccer players worldwide. I'm sure there's more than a few that would make great boxers. America was kings when nobody else really gave a ****, like all sports they dominate in.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
      i made this arugment several months ago in a thread....went for pages on the subject

a kid like joey bosa, if trained from a young age and diet/lifestyle to remain lean instead of bulky, would prob be a top 3 HW in the world right now

but bosa is already worth about 20 mil and hes 22......and there is alot more to come for him if he stays healthy

the money has shifted.....in the 80s/90s a guy like LT made less than 2 mil a year but holyfield, tyson and bowe were making huge bucks

now its the other way around

the NFL has a hundred joey bosas....imagine guys like him and cameron wake ...with leaner frames.....AJ would barely exist
      Yep, there are toooons of guys in all levels, even guys that don't look big are ****ing massive.

7'1 260lb Meyers Leonard. But if you look at him next to other NBA players he's just another guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
        Of course it works. There's millions of soccer players worldwide. I'm sure there's more than a few that would make great boxers. America was kings when nobody else really gave a ****, like all sports they dominate in.

It's just an excuse, America's population is barely 330 million or so, the rest of the world has billions of people. And like I said, boxing is more popular overseas than it is here. We're still producing champions despite it not being popular, despite having a fraction of the world's population.

America gets bored with dominating, we master a sport, then lose interest, on to something new. Same thing happened with Hockey.

Comment

It's just an excuse, America's population is barely 330 million or so, the rest of the world has billions of people. And like I said, boxing is more popular overseas than it is here. We're still producing champions despite it not being popular, despite having a fraction of the world's population.

America gets bored with dominating, we master a sport, then lose interest, on to something new. Same thing happened with Hockey.
          You mean like your excuse? If all those soccer players boxed America wouldn't even be relevant in boxing.

Comment

Lol bb players are notoriously sissy. Nfl players are getting more and more lile that. Bpxing is where its at. The old time trainers died off and hasnt been enough of the true boxing guys leading the way. So that popular excuse of all going into other sports doesnt hold water. Also boxers were all around good and now they may be good at just one aspect of boxing and leaves alot of one diminsional boring guys who love to play safe because they have no confidence in their all around game and theres not much magnetism in that. So crowds in U.S. go elsewhere. We are the leaders in entertainment.

Comment

The truth

Robbie is correct, in the UK football(soccer) is the most popular sport, most kids in the school playground want to be the next david beckham (or Messi or whoever it is nowadays) noone in school when i was growing up cared about boxing at all except when a big crossover fight comes along, but we knew everything about the EPL and european football(soccer) and you make great money in football easier than trying to get to the top of the ruthless sport that is boxing. So yeah if all those people with athletic talents who pursue football(soccer) which is a VERY HIGH percentile of young males in the UK were to have focused on boxing from a young age instead then how many of them could be great? A LOT, never mind all the rugby players which is also more popular than boxing. Its a ****** dumbass argument to make really bruh and a pretty childish one, now that Joshua has come along the popularity of boxing has improved and more youngsters will get into it so lets see in the next 15 years what talent emerges in the sport from the UK but to pretend that boxing is some amazingly popular sport in the UK and that's why we've taken over is inaccurate in my opinion, horse racing is more popular than boxing i imagine????, pre-joshua boxing hardly got any airtime man you guys are deluded, where as showtime has consistently had an interest in high quality boxing, youve had espn friday night fights etc but we were excited only a few years ago to have boxing back on terrestrial tv (channel 5) I remember watching Andy Lee vs Bryan Vera the highlights of the first fight which aired on ESPN FNF on "5star" thinking "****.. I wish we had boxing on TV regularly like this" now Thanks to frank warren/boxnation and the matchroom revolution we are doing great but don't be a hater brother, dont pretend its cos EVERY big guy in your huge country doesnt want to box, only a few of the big guys in britain want to box(LOOK AT ALL THE RUGBY PLAYERS) yet we managed to beat klitchsko twice after years of attempts by your crappy yank heavyweights. Not to denigrate the US which is a place I love but I doubt what you're saying is true, you're acting like britain is to boxing what thailand is to thai boxing and every man and their dog is in the boxing gym which is far from the truth and i can tell you that having lived here all my life, most the average joes DKSAB

Comment

You mean like your excuse? If all those soccer players boxed America wouldn't even be relevant in boxing.

Americans are already out numbered by billions, the participation levels in boxing are a fraction of the rest of the world and we still dominate.

If you're a pro American boxer then chances are you fell into it because your family were boxers and you're continuing a tradition. That's not the case for the rest of the world, Kovalev, Golovkin, Joshua, etc. all willingly chose boxing because of it's popularity overseas. Wilder found boxing by chance, he showed interest in it before seeing another football player do it.

Comment

and all the best lower weight fighters of the rest of the world are playing football.
                  Depends on how low in weight you're talking; the typical middleweight fighter is basically a beefed up NCAAF 180lb-190lb athlete. Shawn Porter was an ok 170lb high school tailback who was able to get himself to being a top-10 welterweight fighter.

Boxing is a hard road; with football, basketball, baseball, track&field, hockey, wrestling, rugby, and other sports as options (to get an education and, more importantly, run into people/relationships that could open up things for you in the future), most athletes will test out everything else before heading to boxing.

The opportunities for athletes smaller than that are limited, so you generally don't see folks much smaller than that stick to sports in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSuperLeeds View Post
                    Robbie is correct, in the UK football(soccer) is the most popular sport, most kids in the school playground want to be the next david beckham (or Messi or whoever it is nowadays) noone in school when i was growing up cared about boxing at all except when a big crossover fight comes along, but we knew everything about the EPL and european football(soccer) and you make great money in football easier than trying to get to the top of the ruthless sport that is boxing. So yeah if all those people with athletic talents who pursue football(soccer) which is a VERY HIGH percentile of young males in the UK were to have focused on boxing from a young age instead then how many of them could be great? A LOT, never mind all the rugby players which is also more popular than boxing. Its a ****** dumbass argument to make really bruh and a pretty childish one, now that Joshua has come along the popularity of boxing has improved and more youngsters will get into it so lets see in the next 15 years what talent emerges in the sport from the UK but to pretend that boxing is some amazingly popular sport in the UK and that's why we've taken over is inaccurate in my opinion, horse racing is more popular than boxing i imagine????, pre-joshua boxing hardly got any airtime man you guys are deluded, where as showtime has consistently had an interest in high quality boxing, youve had espn friday night fights etc but we were excited only a few years ago to have boxing back on terrestrial tv (channel 5) I remember watching Andy Lee vs Bryan Vera the highlights of the first fight which aired on ESPN FNF on "5star" thinking "****.. I wish we had boxing on TV regularly like this" now Thanks to frank warren/boxnation and the matchroom revolution we are doing great but don't be a hater brother, dont pretend its cos EVERY big guy in your huge country doesnt want to box, only a few of the big guys in britain want to box(LOOK AT ALL THE RUGBY PLAYERS) yet we managed to beat klitchsko twice after years of attempts by your crappy yank heavyweights. Not to denigrate the US which is a place I love but I doubt what you're saying is true, you're acting like britain is to boxing what thailand is to thai boxing and every man and their dog is in the boxing gym which is far from the truth and i can tell you that having lived here all my life, most the average joes DKSAB
                    I don't think you comprehend how popular American sports like the NFL are. We build our high school athletes multi-million dollar stadiums just to play a few games per year in. High school games routinely draw thousands, yes I said high school.

They recently built a $72 million dollar stadium for a high school team:
                    http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/high_...364c5bbed.html

This is what a high school game routinely looks like:
                    17,900 capacity

You can't really compare sports like Soccer or Rugby to American sports,football/basketball are GOD here. These are high school sports we're talking about here, not even collegiate. You have people setting up ******** rings around these games, players are celebrities in their cities, parents fighting you have 16 year olds being offered cars, clothes, all sorts of gifts, even parents that have been training their children from a young age like a Lomachenko.

Do you know what they were chanting when Mayweather knocked out Hatton in Vegas? "There's only oooone Ricky Hatton"
                    Last edited by Cutthroat; 03-10-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I don't think you comprehend how popular American sports like the NFL are. We build our high school athletes multi-million dollar stadiums just to play a few games per year in. High school games routinely draw thousands, yes I said high school.

They recently built a $72 million dollar stadium for a high school team:
                      http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/high_...364c5bbed.html

This is what a high school game routinely looks like:
                      17,900 capacity

You can't really compare sports like Soccer or Rugby to American sports,football/basketball are GOD here. These are high school sports we're talking about here, not even collegiate. You have people setting up ******** rings around these games, players are celebrities in their cities, parents fighting you have 16 year olds being offered cars, clothes, all sorts of gifts, even parents that have been training their children from a young age like a Lomachenko.

Do you know what they were chanting when Mayweather knocked out Hatton in Vegas? "There's only oooone Ricky Hatton"
                      Thousands turn up to watch the under 17 and 21 play soccer. Thinking you're special.

Comment

Working...
                      X