Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder-Ortiz Showtime's Highest-Rated Fight Since Wilder-Stiverne

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by killakali View Post
    u forgot a couple factors. First the tickets will be cheaper than Canelo ggg so it would not do 20 million. Canelo GGG is the third highest gate in Nevada history and Canelo has been a ppv star and ggg also drew great ratings. Second we can’t be sure they sell 18k tickets. Barclays usually gives a ton of tickets away for their fights. I suspect they didn’t have to give many away for the Ortiz fight but we don’t know for sure.
    The tickets won't be that much cheaper. I marked them down, which is why I said $20 million. You're not accounting for the traveling British crowd btw. They will travel by the thousands for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire4231 View Post
      Wonder how accurate these numbers are. We had 10 people who didn’t have Showtime subscriptions at our house to watch the fight. How do they determine actual viewership? Either way this fight created real ground swell for Wilder. Casuals love heavy weights and the room kept commenting on how they missed seeing the giants go at it. Was a great look for boxing and fans are chomping at the bit for more. Deontay and AJ are the most consistent (yet vulnerable) destructive forces in boxing. We have all the ingredients of a superfight amongst boxing gods if the promotional parties get their head out of their arse and don’t quiver when it comes to pulling the trigger. Hearn is so worried about the money he may lose, that he may lose track of the money they will gain for making the fight happen and setting up a rematch or two. For idiots screaming Pac/Horn did 4 million on free tv... Spence vs Bundu did 5 million on free tv. So what are you saying bro. These are phenomenal ratings for Showtime and HBO would have killed off Lederman to have these numbers. Stop being a fan boy and enjoy the rise of boxing’s heavyweights. Boxing is killing the game because Showtime is staging nothing but quality fights!!!
      u have a bad comparison. Pac-Horn did 4.4 mil on ESPN alone which is in way less homes than CBS has. Over 40 million less homes is ESPN in. Plus that doesn’t count Latino fans watching on Espn deportes or fans streaming the fight. I bet if you added those in the number is over 6 million.

U mention having 10 people over at your house and there is no way to track that accurate if a number. When I buy a ppv we usually have 20 or more people at the house. We had way over 20 people. So if Canelo ggg sold 1.3 mil buys 3 million people would be a conservative number of how many people watched it live not counting illegal streams. Most people don’t order a ppv to watch by themselves. Plus Espn is in all bars and showtime isn’t and several bars bought ggg Canelo plus the movie theatres.

Wilder had a good number going up against hbo especially but slow your roll

Comment

If they cannot agree on a deal for the Wilder vs AJ fight this year, I’de love to see wilder rematch ortiz. It was wilder’s most exciting fight to date, I’m pretty sure after the first fight a lot more people would turn in to watch the rematch. Quite unlikely though, he’ll most likely fight breazeale if the aj fight falls through.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
          The tickets won't be that much cheaper. I marked them down, which is why I said $20 million. You're not accounting for the traveling British crowd btw. They will travel by the thousands for him.
          I am accounting for them. He has a lot of fans but he ain’t Ricky hatton. Ringside tix won’t be $2500 and nosebleeds won’t be $300. You can count on that. Wilder doesn’t have a rapid fan base like Canelo to do that. Plus many of Canelo’s fans are in the USA. Many drive from Cali and don’t have airfare to worry about. Just gas, tickets food and hotel.

A trip for two from the UK with good seats and 3 nights in a hotel is close to a 10k trip if they don’t gamble. A lot will make the trip and watch the closed circuit

Comment

After thinking about the attendance and these ratings a little more. Don't be surprised if T-Mobile Arena starts being thrown around in talks for Wilder v. Joshua. (If Parker doesn't spoil things).

1. That live gate does over $20 million tomorrow if the fight is announced. That's nearly twice the live gate for Joshua v. Klitchsko btw. (Alvarez v. GGG did $27 million with 17.5k tickets sold).

2. The British PPV crowd would still come in north of 1 million buys. (They've done it for all of AJ's last three fights, and the same is true for Mayweather for comparison. Mayweather v. McGregor has the record at above 1.5 million in the UK)

3. The sponsorship number would likely be close to $10 million for the fight in Vegas.

4. The wildcard is the number of US PPV buys. I think the floor would be 300k, with a ceiling of 1.2 million depending promotional quality.

Based on this, there might be an argument for more money being in Vegas due to the US PPV buys pulling in the additional money that can't be captured if the fight was held in the UK.

Obviously 18k fans in T-Mobile isn't the same as 90k screaming brits, but financially it appears things are leaning towards the US. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
            That's why it's crazy for all these people saying Wilder should take a 30% split. If the fight was in the UK, then that would be understandable, but not in the US. Joshua might be selling out stadiums in the UK but he's **** here in the US and only Wilder can give him what other fighters can, and that's US revenue from PPV and ticket sales.

Comment

I am accounting for them. He has a lot of fans but he ain’t Ricky hatton. Ringside tix won’t be $2500 and nosebleeds won’t be $300. You can count on that. Wilder doesn’t have a rapid fan base like Canelo to do that. Plus many of Canelo’s fans are in the USA. Many drive from Cali and don’t have airfare to worry about. Just gas, tickets food and hotel.

A trip for two from the UK with good seats and 3 nights in a hotel is close to a 10k trip if they don’t gamble. A lot will make the trip and watch the closed circuit
              From my experience with the UK (business travel), AJ is much bigger than Hatton.

Comment

From my experience with the UK (business travel), AJ is much bigger than Hatton.
                Maybe in the UK now but when Hatton was boss, he came to America to risk it all. Joshua won’t do that. ****en coward.

Comment

u have a bad comparison. Pac-Horn did 4.4 mil on ESPN alone which is in way less homes than CBS has. Over 40 million less homes is ESPN in. Plus that doesn’t count Latino fans watching on Espn deportes or fans streaming the fight. I bet if you added those in the number is over 6 million.

U mention having 10 people over at your house and there is no way to track that accurate if a number. When I buy a ppv we usually have 20 or more people at the house. We had way over 20 people. So if Canelo ggg sold 1.3 mil buys 3 million people would be a conservative number of how many people watched it live not counting illegal streams. Most people don’t order a ppv to watch by themselves. Plus Espn is in all bars and showtime isn’t and several bars bought ggg Canelo plus the movie theatres.

Wilder had a good number going up against hbo especially but slow your roll
                  Millions of people aint watching no ESPN Deportes so don't be adding in another 2 million views. They're averaging around 95k views

http://awfulannouncing.com/boxing/to...uiao-horn.html

Top Rank on ESPN has racked up banner results in its 2017 debut. The series kicked off July 1, 2017 with the memorable live telecast of the “Battle of Brisbane,” Manny “Pac Man” Pacquiao’s first non-PPV fight since September, 2005. The Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn battle for the WBO World Welterweight Championship fight ranks as the highest-rated and most-watched boxing telecast on cable television since 2006 and ESPN’s highest-rated boxing telecast since 1995.

Viewers are tuning in in large numbers with the series earning the most-viewed fights of 2017:

Top Rank on ESPN in primetime averaged 1,575,000 viewers on ESPN and 95,000 on ESPN Deportes
                  The twelve most-viewed fights on cable in 2017 have been Top Rank on ESPN fights
                  …“2017 was a landmark year for boxing on ESPN,” said ESPN executive vice president of programming and scheduling Burke Magnus. “We are thrilled and excited to have served as home to some of the best boxing events in 2017 and look forward to continuing to work with Top Rank to showcase these great events across all our platforms in 2018 and beyond.”

Comment

Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post
                    Maybe in the UK now but when Hatton was boss, he came to America to risk it all. Joshua won’t do that. ****en coward.
                    Joshua is bigger but one thing is Hatton fanbase was loyal as hell..... 30k flew out for him against Mayweather. Am actually interested to see how many do for AJ when he fights in the states. I know Finkel stated that Hearn quoted that he thinks 20k do.

Comment

Originally posted by filup79 View Post
                      Millions of people aint watching no ESPN Deportes so don't be adding in another 2 million views. They're averaging around 95k views

http://awfulannouncing.com/boxing/to...uiao-horn.html

Top Rank on ESPN has racked up banner results in its 2017 debut. The series kicked off July 1, 2017 with the memorable live telecast of the “Battle of Brisbane,” Manny “Pac Man” Pacquiao’s first non-PPV fight since September, 2005. The Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn battle for the WBO World Welterweight Championship fight ranks as the highest-rated and most-watched boxing telecast on cable television since 2006 and ESPN’s highest-rated boxing telecast since 1995.

Viewers are tuning in in large numbers with the series earning the most-viewed fights of 2017:

Top Rank on ESPN in primetime averaged 1,575,000 viewers on ESPN and 95,000 on ESPN Deportes
                      The twelve most-viewed fights on cable in 2017 have been Top Rank on ESPN fights
                      …“2017 was a landmark year for boxing on ESPN,” said ESPN executive vice president of programming and scheduling Burke Magnus. “We are thrilled and excited to have served as home to some of the best boxing events in 2017 and look forward to continuing to work with Top Rank to showcase these great events across all our platforms in 2018 and beyond.”
                      Haha solid pull

He's also tripping on the fight tickets point. Like a HW fight wouldn't be priced comparably to a Alvarez/GGG fight.

Joshua is the biggest star in the UK including soccer players. He'd bring thousands with him.

Comment

Working...
                      X