Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would prime Antonio Margarito do today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr.Cool View Post
    Watching the Cotto fight, and then Marg's handwraps being pink, like the plaster ones against Mosley instead of the normal white, is pretty damning.

Take away Cotto and what do you have? A close loss to Paul Williams? Wins over Clottey and Cintron? Good, okay, but a loss in 04 to Dos Santos, a loss in 07 to Paul Williams, and his 09 spanking by Mosley. Without Cotto, Marg is nothing more than a gatekeeper, similar to Vargas today.

while i suspect margarito of cheating previously and doubt very much that he'd cheat for the first time against a guy who lost to an opponent he destroyed, the pink coloring happens all the time when fighters wear red gloves.

sweat mixes with the dye used in the glove, which runs, gets soaked into the wraps, and turns them pink.

Comment

"prime" Margarito means plaster gloves. after they took his plaster he was trash. everybody on that list beats him.

Comment

If he wasn't caught cheating I would say he would had been able to beat most of them.

With that said after he was caught cheating he was reduced to nothing. In a fair fight he losses to any top fighter but Berto and Ortiz.

Comment

I don't think he ever used plaster and there is zero proof that he ever did. Only assumptions. I think he would beat everyone on that list except Spence , Crawford and possibly Thurman. He was easy to hit but he had a great chin and was tireless. He was a decent puncher and applied tremendous pressure by throwing over 100 punches a round all fight. He wore guys down and hurt them in the late rounds. In the 1st Cotto fight Cotto won most of the early rounds. If he was using bricks he should have knocked Cotto out early as often as he hit him but he didn't.

Comment

He's stupidly overrated on this forum. I've never known of a guy who's 'prime' basically consisted of one year. He lost plenty of fights throughout his career and was a limited fighter. What exactly made him 'past prime' when old mosley beat the living **** out of him? Or was margarito over the hill at 30 lol.

Comment

Nsb wannabe experts always see past fighters as sub par to the current. For ****s sake margo eats punches for breakfast and dinner. None of the current fighters has ring generalship for 12 rounds. Eventually those fighters mentioned will be caught. Margo destroyed and took away pacs prime, among all pacs opponent he took the most damage from margo. So ****ers just stfu and give the man some credit. He has an adamantium chin. He was off the loop on the mosley fight due to the brick controversy.

Comment

Jeff Horn would beat the **** out of Margarito.

Comment

margarito wold outbox them all

Comment

Originally posted by Blu View Post
                    Let's just give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was innocent prior to the Mosley fight.
                    Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
                    he defeats them all.
                    Wrong. Even with the benefit of the doubt. His "prime" was 1-fight long. Beat Kermit Cintron twice (Kermit who? The Frog???)

Plastered Cotto. Even if he won without cheating - an isolated solid win.

In between he lost to Paul Williams (UD) and edged Clottey (UD).

Immediately after Cotto fight he got annihilated by Shane "I'm over the hill" Mosley. And I mean A N N I H I L A T E D

Nonetheless the overrated scoundrel Margarito beats Danny Garcia and possibly Shawn Porter.

He loses to all the rest. Not because the rest are necessarily good, but Antonio was just always hype. A lot like Lucian Bute...but Margarito has 1 signature win.

After that win (and after Bute lost to Froch) their careers are basically identical. Both lost to anyone with a pulse and never looked good again.

Wow, what wonder.
                    Last edited by Bjl12; 02-27-2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
                      Wrong. Even with the benefit of the doubt. His "prime" was 1-fight long. Beat Kermit Cintron twice (Kermit who? The Frog???)

pic

Plastered Cotto. Even if he won without cheating - an isolated solid win.

In between he lost to Paul Williams (UD) and edged Clottey (UD).

Immediately after Cotto fight he got annihilated by Shane "I'm over the hill" Mosley. And I mean A N N I H I L A T E D

Nonetheless the overrated scoundrel Margarito beats Danny Garcia and possibly Shawn Porter.

He loses to all the rest. Not because the rest are necessarily good, but Antonio was just always hype. A lot like Lucian Bute...but Margarito has 1 signature win.

After that win (and after Bute lost to Froch) their careers are basically identical. Both lost to anyone with a pulse and never looked good again.

Wow, what wonder.
                      Every fighter can be grinded down, the only one who we unsure about that is spence.

Thurman can be grinded down,
                      Danny Can be grinded down,
                      Porter can be grinded down,
                      Guerrero can be grinded down,
                      Broner can be grinded down,

Margarito Grinds them ALL DOWN!

the only ? is Spence, but I think he gives Spence the buisness too, spence had a hard time with a above average touch rican not that long ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X