Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Ray Leonard or Roy Jones Jr....who was better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
    I can name past fighters who would have been competitive with him. Michael Spinks, for starters.
    Roy would have been too fast for Michael Spinks; Especially in the center of the ring. Spinks best bet would be to try to get on the inside and rough up Roy along the ropes.

Comment

I have to go with Leonard. He was a more complete fighter of the two and defeated better competition. Also fought during the 15-round era.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
        Roy would have been too fast for Michael Spinks; Especially in the center of the ring. Spinks best bet would be to try to get on the inside and rough up Roy along the ropes.
        Michael Nunn at MW.

Comment

I prefer watching Leonard, their both products of the USA
          amateur program but Leonard fought the better competion.
          I thought one of his best outings was the loss to Duran. He showed he could take great shots and dig down deep. He fought Duran at Duran's best and hung right with him.

Ray

Comment

I don't think Roy was ever in a fight on a par with the first Duran and Hearns fights.

Comment

Roy was ridiculously talented and did things I haven't seen in the ring before but the greater fighter has to be Leonard because he just ticks all the boxes for a great fighter. Beat a wide variety of styles who happened to be greats themselves, overcame adversity when behind and was just complete in every sense of the word from conditioning to punch variety and toughness.

Comment

yeah but the question is who was better, and by that analogy roy was a bigger, faster, harder puncher than ray, even at 160 lbs...the only weight where their paths could cross and both would be the best versions of themselves...

Comment

Roy is the better commentator though. Ray is/was dreadful as a commentator.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
                    yeah but the question is who was better, and by that analogy roy was a bigger, faster, harder puncher than ray, even at 160 lbs...the only weight where their paths could cross and both would be the best versions of themselves...
                    The TS asked who was better P4P. Who would be better if they were the same size?

Comment

You gotta go with Ray.

He beat Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Benitez in a relatively short period of time.

Roy was the greater athlete and more talented guy possibly, but Ray was tested and responded in tough fights against all-time great fighters.

Roy was peerless and never was in a division with a guy who could've legitimately threatened him until he was old

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
                      There's a reason Roy picked Ruiz. He was a relatively small HW with little power.
                      I picked Ray Leonard, but this is just a bad argument.

Roy was a guy who started out at 160 and went up in weight to beat the heavyweight champion.

That would be an accomplishment, even if it was Buster Douglas he was beating.

Comment

Working...
                      X