Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come Sweet Pea never lost a point for bending below the waist?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come Sweet Pea never lost a point for bending below the waist?

Never lost a point and pretty sure was never warned. Why?

Good question. I didn't like Sweet Pea at first but I became a fan because he was a tough and very skilled fighter. The ducking is clearly illegal but he got a pass. I have no idea why he got away with it. That said, he didn't need that move to be a great fighter. He was good enough to come up with something else. IMO anyway.

Comment

The commission was fearful he would take them to court and claim discrimination bc he used the name " Sweet Pea " so they encouraged him to go down below as much as he likes .

Comment

American fighter, hometown referee... as simple as that

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
          Never lost a point and pretty sure was never warned. Why?

When has anyone lost a point?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
            The ducking is clearly illegal but he got a pass. I have no idea why he got away with it. That said, he didn't need that move to be a great fighter. He was good enough to come up with something else. IMO anyway.
            It's a rule that's not enforced and meant to be interpreted depending on the circumstance. It's meant for novices that can't see the punches coming because they're bent too low.

It's natural to face the ground when bobbing for a novice. Good trainers will tell you to always face the opponent.

If you're limber and talented enough you can bend super low and never really expose your head like Sweet Pea. Nobody envisioned the application however long ago the rule was made. It has little to do with the waist but moreso intended for vision.

Clinching is against the rules as well, but rarely enforced until it becomes holding. The fear is holding and hitting (as well as extended periods of no action) which is why the rule is interpretated like it is.

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
            American fighter, hometown referee... as simple as that
            Yea sure lol.

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            When has anyone lost a point?
            Never heard of anyone in Boxing history. Curious to hear from those that know more than I do.

Comment

So did Mike Tyson. It's not enforced unless it creates a problem, like getting hit in the back of the head. I think a ref would be embarrassed to take a point because it's simply not done, and because it's a silly thing to enforce. You can't land any good punches from down there. You simply use it for defense but it's not without it's dangers. You can get clean ko'd leaning like that.

Comment

why would he get a deduction for doing it like a split second as shown vs Oscar in the timestamp of the vid you posted?

It's just nitpicking really.

Comment

The only time it was really noticeable was when he was cornered against Trinidad and did it for a few seconds but that fight was a decisive loss, didn’t benefit him and had no impact on the fight.

Comment

He should have been but he never was because he was a big star and sometimes they can break the rules without penalties. When he fought Trinidad he deliberately went down 3 different times to avoid punishment. Each of those should have been scored as knock downs against him but they were not. Sometimes he would dip so low one knee would be on the canvas and he got away with that as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X