Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: World Boxing Super Series To Tackle Smaller Weights in 2018

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

126 would make a lot of sense.

You have LSC, Mares, Frampton, GRJ, Selby, Valdez, Cuellar, Quigg. It's embarrassing that these guys aren't fighting each other. I don't expect Arum to allow Valdez into the tournament. But the other guys should be willing to step up.

118 also has promising matchups as well with Tete, Nery, McDonnell, Burnett, Payano, Haskins.

122 is totally devoid of talent. I hope they don't do that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy O C View Post
      Like 168 where Sauerland have Zeuge and Feigenbutz? Schaefer only said this **** cos he was speaking to a Latino channel, he doesn't know what weights be up next
      168 they had Groves, Skoglund and Braehmer, Feigenbutz was a substitute.

Comment

Originally posted by kej718 View Post
        175 doesn't really need it yet.

We already have Bivol vs Barerra, and Stevenson vs Jack (winner has to face Alvarez vs Gvozdyk according to the WBC). That's already like a mini tournament fight there.
        Kovalev is facing Mikhalkin. Beterbiev just needs to find someone that is willing to fight him. That is 8 of the best fighters in the division. What happens next is what really matters.
        Well yeah and that is what 175 needs the WBSS for. Otherwise, history has shown Stevenson will keep ducking Kovalev, and Al Haymon may keep Beterbiev from fighting anyone good either. The fights you mentioned on the schedule, none of those are great fights. Badou Jack is overrated. Made his name off winning 8 rounds against James Degale at 168, who as we just saw also struggled just as much with someone coming up from 160 (Truax). For Jack to be a natural 175 and not beat Degale any worse than Truax, who was dominated by Jacobs at 160(!!!), tells you Jack is overrated. That is only a challenge for Stevenson if Stevenson is way past his prime.

Gvozdyk-Alvarez... nice fight compared to what they have gotten so far, just because neither of them have ever gotten even B-level opponents before so it's a nice change, but Alvarez is a B-level guy. If Gvozdyk is actually any good, this is also a mismatch.

Kovalev-Mikhalkin is a **** fight.

Bivol-Barrera is a very exciting matchup simply because Bivol is exciting and it represents his chance to emerge on the world class level if he can beat Barrera better than Ward did. Otherwise, Barrera is also overrated. Got dominated by another overrated fighter in Ward. Looked great against Joe Smith but only because he had a lucky impact on a punch that broke Smith's jaw. That type of stuff is very flukey. Not powerful enough to KO a guy, but you break his jaw... that's just a lucky impact. If not for that, I think Smith would have beaten him. If Bivol beats Barrera, I hope he and Smith rematch.

So none of these matchups are what fans wanted. The matchups fans want are to see members of the Big Five fight each other, meaning Kovalev, Beterbiev, Stevenson, Bivol, and Gvozdyk. And maybe some new guys will emerge (Yarde?) which would also qualify. But no, Badou Jack, Sullivan Barrera, Eleider Alvarez, and Mikhalkin are not the stuff that great top level fights are made out of. These are clear B-sides, B+ level guys are best, mostly B-level or below. The WBSS is, sadly, apparently, the only way to actually get the top guys to fight each other, so that's why I wanted to see it at 175.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
          126 sucks. Zero P4P talent in that division unless Rigo moves up. Why would they choose 126? 118 would be interesting if Inoue moves up, otherwise no.

Why not 175??? I don't understand. 175 is the clear choice. It blows every other division away with the amount of elite punchers who are also top class boxers. The most talented AND the most entertaining division. Why would they choose any other? Kovalev has even said he wants a tournament, so there are fighters in that division who want it as well.

There are a number of divisions where a tournament would be great. 175 would be awesome.Its just a shame that promotional problems or diva antics will keep some from being as good as they can be. For instance, I think Adonis Stevenson should absolutely be in the 175 tournament but I don't think anyone can count on him to stay in even if he's willing to jump in. He'd get to pick his opponent in the first round but afterwards no more cherry picking.
          Last edited by yankees7448; 12-24-2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            What?

Leo Santa Cruz
            Gary Russell Jr
            Oscar Valdez
            Lee Selby
            Josh Warrington
            Carl Frampton
            Joseph Diaz
            Scott Quigg
            Abner Mares
            I said there is zero P4P talent at 126. P4P means "pound for pound." Which guy on your list is a pound for pound talent? All I see are B+ level guys and Gary Russell, who has P4P talent but already got shut out by someone with P4P talent and skill. But, that was just one night. I guess GRJ maybe qualifies, but overall the division is boring. There are action fighters like Santa Cruz, Frampton, and Mares, but they are all natural 122's. When the best action fighters in a division dont actually have any power in that division to drop guys, then it's a boring division. All these guys would have been sparked in a round or two by true 126 pounders in the past like Prince Naseem, Kevin Kelly, Rafa Marquez, Vasquez, Gamboa, Juan Manuel Lopez, Salido, etc.

Now, if these guys had fought at 122 along with Donaire and Rigondeaux when they were all at their best in their best division, I would have been interested, but at 126 they have no power, which makes them very ineffective. All those guys are mince meat to be outboxed by someone like GRJ or Jo Jo Diaz at 126 because they dont have the power at that weight to even the scales against someone faster and more slick. At 122, they might have. So, it's not interesting.

Valdez almost lost to Marriaga. Got dropped by a tuneup opponent last fight. His stock has dropped considerably. Jo Jo Diaz might be the most exciting one but he looked like crap his last fight too. Scott Quigg hasnt done anything since Frampton broke his jaw, which was unlucky but who has he beat since then? And I never rated Lee Selby.
            Last edited by Boxing Logic; 12-24-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Delusional

I said there is zero P4P talent at 126. P4P means "pound for pound." Which guy on your list is a pound for pound talent? All I see are B+ level guys and Gary Russell, who has P4P talent but already got shut out by someone with P4P talent and skill. But, that was just one night. I guess GRJ maybe qualifies, but overall the division is boring. There are action fighters like Santa Cruz, Frampton, and Mares, but they are all natural 122's. When the best action fighters in a division dont actually have any power in that division to drop guys, then it's a boring division. All these guys would have been sparked in a round or two by true 126 pounders in the past like Prince Naseem, Kevin Kelly, Rafa Marquez, Vasquez, Gamboa, Juan Manuel Lopez, Salido, etc.

Now, if these guys had fought at 122 along with Donaire and Rigondeaux when they were all at their best in their best division, I would have been interested, but at 126 they have no power, which makes them very ineffective. All those guys are mince meat to be outboxed by someone like GRJ or Jo Jo Diaz at 126 because they dont have the power at that weight to even the scales against someone faster and more slick. At 122, they might have. So, it's not interesting.

Valdez almost lost to Marriaga. Got dropped by a tuneup opponent last fight. His stock has dropped considerably. Jo Jo Diaz might be the most exciting one but he looked like crap his last fight too. Scott Quigg hasnt done anything since Frampton broke his jaw, which was unlucky but who has he beat since then? And I never rated Lee Selby.
              Featherweight is probably one of the top 3 best weight divisions next to Welterweight and maybe super flyweight

Comment

organise the tournament at 147

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  What?

Leo Santa Cruz
                  Gary Russell Jr
                  Oscar Valdez
                  Lee Selby
                  Josh Warrington
                  Carl Frampton
                  Joseph Diaz
                  Scott Quigg
                  Abner Mares

That was my thoughts exactly!!! I was like WOW!!! Someone really posted that nonsense and calls themself boxing logic???

Comment

147 or 135

Comment

Valdez almost lost to Marriaga??? Man Valdez won practically EVERY round in that fight. You need to lay off doing Coke with De La Hoya and Fury

Comment

Working...
                      X