• Show
Clear All

• Ward would have beat the piss out of Joe Calzaghe

Calzaghe is an over rated euro bum....

Based on what ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
      Calzaghe is an over rated euro wbum....
      Yes, that’s true. I know we can all agree on that.

Comment

Cool. Prove it.

Comment

........nope

Comment

Calzaghe was a winner, beats Ward too based on styles, Wards already lost don't forget to Kovalev (who would probably be too big for Calzaghe but its possible he wins too)
            Calzaghe wins at 168

Jeff Lacy is about the worst non heavyweight belt holder I can recall but Joe beat everyone
            Last edited by Flabble Scrote; 12-24-2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Only thing Ward would give Calzaghe problems with is his tuck head and come forward with the head and clinch dirty style. To me ducking below the waist isn't considered good defense anybody can do it. Ward's a great boxer but if were talking pure boxing here. Calzaghe wins. If were talking dirty boxing Ward wins b/c ward learned from the best Sakio Bika.
              Last edited by GorillaDog; 12-24-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I used to think the same thing. But the more I watched Calzaghe, I changed my mind a bit. Yes he slaps, yes his chin is questionable, and yes he makes a lot of mistakes....but he does have rare champion qualities.

In order of quality: tempo, volume, unusual angles, conditioning, tough, big heart. Joe had the style that can beat Ward. If Joe could keep Ward on the outside, Ward can't outbox Joe. Counterpunching guys at that weight is slow business, not Calzaghe though....he's all over the place. His tempo would have given Ward massive problems. Calzaghe could stay on the outside too.

If Ward could draw him in, different story. Cal can fight dirty though too so it would be interesting to see a bit of that.

But yea, thats my two cents.

Comment

Ward did not hit hard enough to deter Joe Calzaghe, and his workrate was too low! To Take that many rounds off him, the fight would go the distance but? Joe Calzaghe would win via Split Decision! in a tough fight. But I must admit certain versions of Calzaghe may have a very difficult time against Andre Ward! I have always thought that he looked poor up against Mikkel Kessler! (He turn back the clock against Roy Jones Junior though!)...

Comment

Would have, could have, should have, but never did. My money would be on Joe. He was too fast, too smart and threw way too many punches every round for Ward to deal with. I think he would beat Ward on Ward's best day even in Oakland. He beat Jones and Hopkins so Ward would be easy work.

Comment

Working...
                    X