No announcement yet.

Duva: Rigondeaux hand not broken, really nasty bruise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    Not really. Bob and HBO punished him for being better than Nonito and hurting their plan. Then Bob got Dan Rafael, who is very close friends with Top Rank's mathcmakers, to start trashing Rigo and call him boring on a weekly basis on his chat.

Then the only fight he can get are garbage fights or take a fight where he has to go up 8 lbs.

But yes, he has only himself to blame for quitting.
    That's such a convoluted story sheerly to discredit rigo, you're reaching quite a bit man.

Rigo is boring, it wasn't just dans opinion. DOnaire was already on his way out. RIgo did not end DOnaire.

Rigo fought a guy who was better in every way.

Comment

To be fair a bad bruise can feel like a break especially when punching.

But he quit because he was losing in a one sided manner.

Comment

Originally posted by leathernvouges View Post
        Can u break down what u saw cause I saw him missing a lot and winning rounds because of activity not because he delivered a beating I don’t think the fight ever opened up because rigo was in his shell
        schooled him so hard. rigo quit on his stool without any injuries. he was psychologically enslaved. "MASSA" he called Loma.

now you are cucking for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
          “No break, but severe contusion on left hand,” Dino Duva, Rigondeaux’s promoter from Roc Nation Sports, told ESPN via text message on Tuesday.*

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40012463-4
          Rigo messed up my prediction, f him, dude a bruise? I was voiching that it was broken come on rigo wtd? You didnt even land a single shot flush

Comment

Is there a boxer, ever, that hasn't bruised their hand during a fight? This is proof that he quit if you needed it. I knew all along. His face told us the truth.

Comment

Not really. Bob and HBO punished him for being better than Nonito and hurting their plan. Then Bob got Dan Rafael, who is very close friends with Top Rank's mathcmakers, to start trashing Rigo and call him boring on a weekly basis on his chat.

Then the only fight he can get are garbage fights or take a fight where he has to go up 8 lbs.

But yes, he has only himself to blame for quitting.
              Ok I'm tired of this narrative..what did he do after he left Top Rank? Absolutely nothing. So if someone is the cancer and you remove them what's the excuse? I really wish people actually blamed Caribe for his career pitfalls because even Rocnation had trouble with Caribe. Listen to any promoter that has ever had to work with them, it's the same song. I get it, Arum is the easy target here but that ended a long time ago. He got offered the fight at 126, said no then came back three years later and agreed to 130..so that's his opponents fault? They offered him the same fight when he was three years younger...he said "no thank you." At some point you have to stop blaming everyone else and blame the man himself.

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
                I agree with the politics of it, but to me the worst part of it, is he didn't show any boxing skills like footwork, feints, change of direction, all of these things that made him successful. That's why Loma dominated him and obviously him quitting was the lowest point this past Saturday. I don't understand how his coach knowing what the outcry would be could allow him to quit? He was already blacklisted and you allow him to quit? IDK, big disappointing is an understatement here.
                Agree with you on this. The thing is Rigo is (allegedly) 37 (prob older knowing the problems Cuban birth records) so he probably couldn't get himself going. I would hope he and his team know quitting like this and getting stripped of his 122 lb title means things are near the end.

Added to that he was in with a great fighter in Loma.

Comment

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
                  He's boring. Even when he had the backing of RN (when they started off with Cotto and Ward in their stable), he still put garbage fights on HBO. He was on Cotto-Alvarez undercard and was boring. On Ward-Kovalev and hit the guy after the bell. So even if Bob Arum was trying to bring down his reputation, he didn't deliver at all despite having future opportunities. The broadcast team (Max Kellerman is the biggest Rigo nuthugger I've seen) isn't making him fight a boring way. HBO is not the reason the crowd boo him when he's in the ring.

He can go to Al Haymon, who will pay fighters millions while ST loses money and he will still be boring. He's a very skilled fighter but promoters and networks aren't paying for skill if you can't generate money.
                  He isn't boring. What happens is the dudes who would bring it to him will not fight him, so he has to go in with dudes who are nowhere near his talent and then they get frozen because everything they try gets picked off and countered.

My main problem is in the era prior to network deals, a guy like Rigo would've been rewarded for such a big win instead of being shelved politically. he gets those fights, and wins, and now he is in a completely different position.

Max may like him, but BOb and HBO did him dirty IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
                    That's such a convoluted story sheerly to discredit rigo, you're reaching quite a bit man.

Rigo is boring, it wasn't just dans opinion. DOnaire was already on his way out. RIgo did not end DOnaire.

Rigo fought a guy who was better in every way.
                    No, its facts. And yes, Loma IMO is better right now, also bigger and younger, and its why I picked Loma to win by KO.

See my response to Raonic. I came up in a different era. Rigo beating Nonito would've meant ABC, CBS or NBC bidding to get him in with top 122lbers. Or, he would've gotten a big fight on HBO or SHO. Instead, Rigo was punished, shelved, and discredited.

Comment

He isn't boring. What happens is the dudes who would bring it to him will not fight him, so he has to go in with dudes who are nowhere near his talent and then they get frozen because everything they try gets picked off and countered.

My main problem is in the era prior to network deals, a guy like Rigo would've been rewarded for such a big win instead of being shelved politically. he gets those fights, and wins, and now he is in a completely different position.

Max may like him, but BOb and HBO did him dirty IMO.
                      I do agree a lot of guys ducked him, but it's also his responsibility to work with what he has. If he's fighting low level guys and he still can't make it exciting, then that's as much on him. I get he's counter puncher but he also knows (or should have known) that he isn't going to get opportunities or will be appealing if he fights the same way against lower level guys.

That was the old era though. You gotta adapt in the era you are in. And networks won't pay for guys (and Rigo didn't exactly come cheap) who aren't exciting.

Comment

Working...
                      X