No announcement yet.

Duva: Rigondeaux hand not broken, really nasty bruise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
    Ok I'm tired of this narrative..what did he do after he left Top Rank? Absolutely nothing. So if someone is the cancer and you remove them what's the excuse? I really wish people actually blamed Caribe for his career pitfalls because even Rocnation had trouble with Caribe. Listen to any promoter that has ever had to work with them, it's the same song. I get it, Arum is the easy target here but that ended a long time ago. He got offered the fight at 126, said no then came back three years later and agreed to 130..so that's his opponents fault? They offered him the same fight when he was three years younger...he said "no thank you." At some point you have to stop blaming everyone else and blame the man himself.
    Why did he have to leave Top Rank? The donaire/Rigo fight had over 1 mil viewers. Now language is an issue but why wouldn't you follow that up with a big name/popular opponent? Why would anyone think Rigo was boring after that performance?

Yes, his new promoter is problematic.

You are oversimplifying what happened when the fight was initially discussed.

I don't know how you see me blaming anyone else but Rigo. I am just pointing out the problem I have with how he was treated. In no way does that absolve him for bad decisions he made.

Comment

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
      I do agree a lot of guys ducked him, but it's also his responsibility to work with what he has. If he's fighting low level guys and he still can't make it exciting, then that's as much on him. I get he's counter puncher but he also knows (or should have known) that he isn't going to get opportunities or will be appealing if he fights the same way against lower level guys.

That was the old era though. You gotta adapt in the era you are in. And networks won't pay for guys (and Rigo didn't exactly come cheap) who aren't exciting.
      Your post highlights my problem with how TR and HBO handled him.

They knew it would be tough to get him fights. Once HBO shelved and punished him, that made it much more difficult. Part of the problem with boxing the last few years is you beat a top tier p4p ranked fighter like Nonito and then you fight some journeyman next.

Used to be a win like that would result in HBO using its resources to get a bigger name in there with him.

Well, I think the era we are in is HBO pays bleeders and guys they know will get KTFO money but not competent real opponents. So Rigo gets nada but Ortiz, Rosado and Kirland get fight after fight just to get beat the **** up.

Either way, you and tunredup are right-Rigo deserves blame for the way he handled his career once he was off of TR.

Comment

We have men out here fighting with broken jaws and torn ACLs. And this guy quits with a bruised hand. I wonder what Floyd Mayweather's record would be if he quit every time he hurt his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          Sadly, this will be the thing people remember most about Rigo.
          Yep, Duran did a No mas and people still talk about it today.

Originally posted by SugarRayCurtain View Post
          Wouldnt the adrenaline numb out the pain though?
          Not when you are getting your a*s kicked lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post

Not when you are getting your a*s kicked lol.
            But..
            Loma didn't school him doe..
            Loma missed a lot of punches doe..
            Loma punched him after the bell doe..

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
              Your post highlights my problem with how TR and HBO handled him.

They knew it would be tough to get him fights. Once HBO shelved and punished him, that made it much more difficult. Part of the problem with boxing the last few years is you beat a top tier p4p ranked fighter like Nonito and then you fight some journeyman next.

Used to be a win like that would result in HBO using its resources to get a bigger name in there with him.

Well, I think the era we are in is HBO pays bleeders and guys they know will get KTFO money but not competent real opponents. So Rigo gets nada but Ortiz, Rosado and Kirland get fight after fight just to get beat the **** up.

Either way, you and tunredup are right-Rigo deserves blame for the way he handled his career once he was off of TR.
              That's not really an HBO/TR problem though. That's how every promoter and network treats fighters. Lara can be comparable and he hasn't fought anyone relevant since Canelo with no one being outside the top 15-20 at JMW. He still chooses to fight the same way against these lower level talent, which makes his fights not too exciting so no one watches his fights.

If it's hard for a guy to get fights and he can't be exciting against journey men, I don't expect networks and promoters to continue putting money into a fighter when they can't get it back.

Comment

Originally posted by leathernvouges View Post
                Why r we so hard on fighters who risk their lives to entertain us, unless you’ve been in a fight and every time u throw a punch it hurts and u think it’s broken u can’t judge him, it is a bad look but u live to fight another day
                You're contradicting yourself here, do you realize that? Either risk your life or live to fight another day. You can't put both overused narratives into one post.

They don't fight for our entertainment, they fight for money. And being a taxi driver is more dangerous than being a pro boxer so I won't let any boxer get a pass for quitting like Rigo.

Hell, even the daily ride from their homes to the gym is more dangerous for athletes than actually competing in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
                  That's not really an HBO/TR problem though. That's how every promoter and network treats fighters. Lara can be comparable and he hasn't fought anyone relevant since Canelo with no one being outside the top 15-20 at JMW. He still chooses to fight the same way against these lower level talent, which makes his fights not too exciting so no one watches his fights.

If it's hard for a guy to get fights and he can't be exciting against journey men, I don't expect networks and promoters to continue putting money into a fighter when they can't get it back.
                  That I understand. My point is boxing isn't like a movie. "exciting" can't be more important than winning.

Excitement comes when fights have evenly matched boxers IMO. So if HBO/TR put him in with other top tier talent, his fights will be exciting. if you put him in with someone levels beneath him and say carry the show and be exciting, that IMO isn't going to happen unless you give rigo the same kind of Kirkland, Rosado, Lundy type guys who will fight hard but have no chance of winning and ultimately get KTFO or bloodied and stopped.

If HBo gave rigo the same type of guys they gave Canelo when he came back or got him in with the best, there would be no issue about excitement.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
                      But..
                      Loma didn't school him doe..
                      Loma missed a lot of punches doe..
                      Loma punched him after the bell doe..
                      Yeah some people would still be in denial, that’s boxing for you. Fact is if Nomas was missing all his punches then Rigo wouldn’t quit. Rigo would punch back, and Rigo also fought dirty, this isn’t a tickling contest lol

Comment

Working...
                      X