Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Alvarez To Sign Step-Aside, Adonis Stevenson vs. Badou Jack Next?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jack v stevensons a great fight. i might edge towards jack, stevensons getting older and older.

Comment

Jack only hope is for Stevenson to get old

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
        This is an ignorant position.

Eleider Alvarez doesn't make a lot of money, so when Stevenson keeps extending the negotiating process ie. keeps low balling Alvarez, and remains noncommittal to fight, that's more time that Alvarez spends outside the ring and the less money he makes in a year.

It's a bullying tactic by Stevenson.

He accepted the step aside fee because he was desperate and out of options.

If Stevenson had any honor, he would've fought Alvarez by now.
        And if Alvarez had any balls he’d reject these BS step a side payments and force the fight they’re both b*tches. If Alvarez really believed he could win, he’d force the fight through knowing that his earning potential would dramatically increase with a W over Stevenson and picking up a belt in the process.
        Your right it is a bullying tactic from Stevenson but Alvarez is the one allowing himself to be bullied.
        Last edited by RJJ-94-02=GOAT; 12-02-2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by My Low Place View Post
          so alvarez gets the shot and the money?
          dude how long have u been watchin boxing?
          foh
          steveson fought for his title at 20% of the purse and possibly less..alvarez has no hunger and only cares about his 0 and how much he can make to move out the way..
          👌🏻 Completely agree Alvarez is a b*tch.💯

Comment

Badou Jack vs Adonis Stevenson is a terrific matchup.

And Alvarez gets some easy, guaranteed money plus some peace of mind.

This is a win-win situation.

Comment

What I want to know is not about Alvarez at #2 in the WBC, but why haven't #3, #4, and #5 complained? Not only should Stevenson have fought his mandatory, Alvarez, by now, but the winner of that should have fought the next mandatory, and the next, since then. This seems to be basically a loophole within the WBC that if you can get their belt, and then get a willing participant to work with you at #2 who will take step aside money forever, that you can avoid your mandatory forever.

It's like how in Nascar, some teams have star drivers, but then they have others who don't race to win, they just race to help the lead driver. This is the same thing. If you can get a teammate who is willing to never fight for the belt so long as you pay him some step aside money every time, then not only can you avoid your mandatory, but you can block access to your belt to everyone else in the division, forever.

Why hasn't Gvozdyk complained? Why hasn't the #4 complained? It's not just Alvarez, NO ONE has gotten their mandatory shot at Stevenson for two years, all because Alvarez keeps taking step aside money. Shouldn't there be some rule that you can only take step aside money once, and then if you try to take it again, that means you're simply not serious about fighting for the belt, and the next guy in line leapfrogs you and gets their chance to either fight for the belt, or take step aside money, and then if they take step aside money that time, then the next time, either they need to fight for the belt, or it goes to the next guy?

Otherwise the same two guys can occupy the "champion" and "mandatory" positions forever, and never have to fight anyone, and block all the other contenders. Forever. Gvozdyk's prime has been completely wasted and ruined by this, for example, but it's also holding back the whole division and the rest of the WBC contenders. How does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Badou Jack vs Adonis Stevenson is a terrific matchup.

And Alvarez gets some easy, guaranteed money plus some peace of mind.

This is a win-win situation.
                What about Gvozdyk and everyone else who has been waiting in the rankings to get their shot? When you just look at things selectively, you can pretend it's win/win, but there is a reason for the rules in place, so that things are also fair. Right now it's a win for Stevenson to never have to face a mandatory, but at the expense of every other boxer in the division who has earned their chance at the belt but has never gotten it. That's not "win/win." That's a win for boxers like Stevenson who are afraid to face anyone they haven't hand-picked, and a "lose" for every other deserving boxer in the division, and the division itself, and boxing fans.

As for Jack, he was getting overhyped so I wanted to see him vs Kovalev, who has been underhyped since the Ward fight. Jack has also talked smack about Kovalev, plus his one strength is body punching and there are questions about Kovalev's body, so it made sense to me. However, Jack is still a chinny, small light heavyweight without one punch knockout power, so this probably won't even be a good fight. Stevenson isn't soft to the body that we know of, and I expect him to chin check Jack fairly easily. Kovalev-Jack with the winner fighting Stevenson makes much more sense to me. Kovalev-Jack and Stevenson-Beterbiev with the winners fighting makes way, way more sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Logic View Post
                  What about Gvozdyk and everyone else who has been waiting in the rankings to get their shot? When you just look at things selectively, you can pretend it's win/win, but there is a reason for the rules in place, so that things are also fair. Right now it's a win for Stevenson to never have to face a mandatory, but at the expense of every other boxer in the division who has earned their chance at the belt but has never gotten it. That's not "win/win." That's a win for boxers like Stevenson who are afraid to face anyone they haven't hand-picked, and a "lose" for every other deserving boxer in the division, and the division itself, and boxing fans.

As for Jack, he was getting overhyped so I wanted to see him vs Kovalev, who has been underhyped since the Ward fight. Jack has also talked smack about Kovalev, plus his one strength is body punching and there are questions about Kovalev's body, so it made sense to me. However, Jack is still a chinny, small light heavyweight without one punch knockout power, so this probably won't even be a good fight. Stevenson isn't soft to the body that we know of, and I expect him to chin check Jack fairly easily. Kovalev-Jack with the winner fighting Stevenson makes much more sense to me. Kovalev-Jack and Stevenson-Beterbiev with the winners fighting makes way, way more sense to me.
                  We're getting a great fight and you're crying about it.

Why doesn't Gvozdyk fight #3, 4, and 5 in the meantime? Or Andre Ward's son Kovalev? It's not that hard.

Comment

Adonis who ?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
                      This is an ignorant position.

Eleider Alvarez doesn't make a lot of money, so when Stevenson keeps extending the negotiating process ie. keeps low balling Alvarez, and remains noncommittal to fight, that's more time that Alvarez spends outside the ring and the less money he makes in a year.

It's a bullying tactic by Stevenson.

He accepted the step aside fee because he was desperate and out of options.

If Stevenson had any honor, he would've fought Alvarez by now.
                      You bring a good point but I doubt you know everything that's going on in the negotiations

Comment

Working...
                      X