No announcement yet.

Rewatching Cotto Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good fight.

Cotto definitely had his moments, 6 and 8 were two of the clearer rounds Floyd had lost for years at that point.

This was a cross roads fight for Floyd IMO. When he came back from his lay off and was pretty stationary against Marquez, Mosley and Ortiz, preferably after Mosley everyone was talking about how "strong" Floyd is and how he was way stronger than Mosley, and he brought into it IMO, all in the build up to Ortiz he talked about being stationary and walking him down which is pretty much what he did for the most part.

I never understood it because the only time Shane actually got physical with Floyd (just before the left hook-right hand combo when his hands were down) Shane threw Floyd like a rag doll. But Emmanuel Steward kept saying it and everyone ran with it.

Anyway, against Cotto Floyd tried the same thing. Believing he was stronger than Cotto and after buzzing him a few times early he upped the pace way too early, and everytime it got physical Cotto was the MUCH stronger man. Floyd could not move him at all. One of the few times I have witnessed tactical errors from Floyd.

Another poster mentioned it but Cotto stunned Floyd at the start of the 6th with that subtle left hook. No one noticed it but he was buzzed. You always know when Floyd is hurt because his natural response is to put his hands up and tuck his chin.

Cotto performed well despite losing quite widely. He did himself proud and did things no one else has done to Floyd. That jab in the 8th (I think) where he timed Floyd beautifully was awesome, Floyd's nod to him as if to say "yeah you got me there" was a great response.

After this fight he starting moving a lot more than he had been in recent years.
    Last edited by IronDanHamza; 11-29-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
      Cotto took a beating in that fight.
      They both did. Take a look at the all access epilogue.

Comment

Originally posted by WallabeeKing View Post
        Sergio had a bum leg, yes, but acting as if Cotto was beating on a Resident Evil Zombie-like muhfucca is an overblown narrative.

Sergio was like a -200 favorite going into the fight.
        I’ll quote the general consensus if this site regarding the Martinez Cotto fight.
        “A 50% Martinez destroys Cotto”. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lopez_Boxing View Post
          Watching floyds fights are always better after the second and third time. You really get a feel for how much he makes guys miss. You think a lot of his fights are close the first time then you watch them again like, “that guy didn’t touch Floyd at all” and Floyd peppers them at well
          Try watching Castillo1 and Madaina 1 and see how he was man handled than awarded a gift

Comment

a great fight? cotto was hitting air and gloves all night and thats why it was 118-110 on scorecards. but yeah i see everyone blaming cottos trainer on here lol, guess all his other losses were his trainers fault too. apparantly hes such a beast under roach but he looked like **** against canelo whos considerably worse than mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
              Try watching Castillo1 and Madaina 1 and see how he was man handled than awarded a gift
              I agree on Castillo 1, but Madaina 1 no. I had it a draw at first view.(live) but a clear victory watching Marcos land nothing whike fkiyd sat RIGHT IN FRONT of him and being countered for it

Comment

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
                I’ll quote the general consensus if this site regarding the Martinez Cotto fight.
                “A 50% Martinez destroys Cotto”. Lol
                Can't reason with the illogical
                Last edited by WallabeeKing; 11-29-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I was at that fight.

I saved up for two years to move to Australia with my friends,
                  Then when it came to doing my visa it didn’t feel right. I went to this fight instead and spent all my savings

Amazing fight

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                    I agree, one of Floyd's and Cotto's best fights. Way better than expected.

Should have happened in 2008, but whatever. Better late than never in this case.
                    Tell Bob Arum that

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
                      I was at that fight.

I saved up for two years to move to Australia with my friends,
                      Then when it came to doing my visa it didn’t feel right. I went to this fight instead and spent all my savings

Amazing fight
                      Wise decision.

I remember the first MAJOR boxing event I saved up for and went to was Pacquiao / Cotto. The fighting atmosphere was epic and the memories priceless.

Comment

Working...
                      X