No announcement yet.

Mexico vs Puerto Rico Rivalry Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico vs Puerto Rico Rivalry Thread

It's one of the biggest feuds in boxing.

What's your favorite?

Salvador Sanchez vs Wilfredo Gomez?

Wilfredo Gomez vs Lupe Pintor?

And which country do you think is ahead in this rivalry?

Head to head matches it's probably Puerto Rico because there's simply more Mexican fighters so therefore more average fighters. Best vs. best it's about even. Mexico has obviously produced more champions and hall of famers (120m ppl vs. 3.5m) but Puerto Rico has some outstanding fighters in the hall of fame and in Carlos Ortiz probably the best fighter between the two countries.

My favorites are - Trinidad-Vargas (sort of PR-Mex), Gomez-Pintor, Sanchez-Gomez and Rosario-Ramirez II.

Comment

I love this, we mexican's need the boricuas to be the better versions of themselves, I think PR is ahead on the score, but this last 10 yrs have been all for Mexico.

Cotto - Margarito 1
      Segura - Calderon 1 & 2
      Segura - Bomba Gonzalez
      Salido - Juanma Lopez 1 & 2
      Canelo - Cotto

I was expecting for Dulorme or Orlando del Valle to even the odds but I don't know man, something is happening on the Island, Bomba Gonzalez was an awesome prospect too and vanished after the Segura fight.

Comment

Lets try to keep this civil, I know tempers flare but honestly I don't hate boricuas at all, I'm a huge Cotto and Trinidad fan.

Comment

Originally posted by microMXL View Post
          Lets try to keep this civil, I know tempers flare but honestly I don't hate boricuas at all, I'm a huge Cotto and Trinidad fan.
          It's really hard to hate on Trinidad. He brought determination, power and fought like a shark in every damn fight. I haven't been a big fan of a lot of Puerto Rican fighters but Trinidad was a major reason I became a boxing fan. The guy ruled the ring for a years.

Comment

Chavez vs Camacho, rosario
            Gomez vs Pintor
            Those come to mind.

As far as who is ahead, I think you might want to clarify 'overall' or 'championship bouts. If it's championship fights I think Mexico might have the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post
              Chavez vs Camacho, rosario
              Gomez vs Pintor
              Those come to mind.

As far as who is ahead, I think you might want to clarify 'overall' or 'championship bouts. If it's championship fights I think Mexico might have the edge.
              Probably have to go with championship fights. Overall would take forever to figure out, if it's even possible.

Comment

Trinidad is a class act. Great style and very humble down to earth guy. I've had the pleasure of meeting him and he is about the warmest and nicest athlete I've seen. His interactions and time for fans is great. Honestly made me proud of Boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                  Trinidad is a class act. Great style and very humble down to earth guy. I've had the pleasure of meeting him and he is about the warmest and nicest athlete I've seen. His interactions and time for fans is great. Honestly made me proud of Boxing.
                  Very cool to know, man. I'd love to meet him and shake the hand that crushed so many. Haha. Glad to know he's cool outside he ring, too.

Comment

I think Mexico is ahead when it comes to the really big fights between champions. It seems like they win more often than not. Mexico is hard to beat for lots of great fighters. My favorite boxer from Puerto Rico was Trinidad. My favorite Mexican boxer was Jose Napoles who is Cuban but moved to Mexico permanently and fought his whole career there. Canelo, Santa Cruz and Marquez are also my favorites. It's a great rivalry.

Comment

Working...
                    X