Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry Armstrong- Top 5 P4P or overrated due to romanticism?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    RJJ-94-02=GOAT========You are a BS'er bro!!!!!!

I asked for a few "new techniques" that current fighters use, you gave no answer.
    When Robinson boxed it WAS the Modern Era learn your history bro.

More longevity? Sugar Ray fought for 25 years bro, he was fighting top ten contenders and champions far heyond his prime and was winning and loosing great bouts.
    You wouldn't know the Moyers from the Fulmers because you think you know your life span of boxing but that amounts to ten seconds in history time.

I was training fighters l-o-n-g before you were born bro.
    So instead of trying to be "modern" understand that your talking about "current" modern began in the early 1930's in boxing....bro!

Ray
    I agree tech has not changed much since 40s-50s now training has but look those guys could go 15rds and a week later do a 10 then month later do another 15. look at srr 1st lose to Bronx bull fought him again 3 weeks later but best part is he fought I think Jackie Wilson inbetween for those who don't know Wilson he was top 10 welter!!!!! now he had to be ok shape 2 do that huh

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      RJJ-94-02=GOAT========You are a BS'er bro!!!!!!

I asked for a few "new techniques" that current fighters use, you gave no answer.
      When Robinson boxed it WAS the Modern Era learn your history bro.

More longevity? Sugar Ray fought for 25 years bro, he was fighting top ten contenders and champions far heyond his prime and was winning and loosing great bouts.
      You wouldn't know the Moyers from the Fulmers because you think you know your life span of boxing but that amounts to ten seconds in history time.

I was training fighters l-o-n-g before you were born bro.
      So instead of trying to be "modern" understand that your talking about "current" modern began in the early 1930's in boxing....bro!

Ray
      SRR fought so long because he was broke. He retired in 52 after losing to Joey Maxim for the LH title in the blistering heat. He came back and exchanged wins and losses with guys like Basilio, Fullmer etc. But that version of Ray was a shell of the guy who had beaten Gavilán, Armstrong, Lamotta etc. As Terry Downes famously said when he defeated Robinson during his second run: I didn't beat SRR tonight I beat his ghost. There is scientific evidence to prove that new technology is beneficial, taking aiding recovery for example cryogenic chambers are magnificent for this. And I find it ironic that your calling me a BS'er, when your the one talking like your Eddie Futch or some esteemed trainer. Newsflash kid, your a nobody in boxing. I think you've just suffered the same fate Fullmer did in Chicago in 57. #Iced. 🥊

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
        He was the lineal champion in 3 of the 8 original weight classes simultaneously.
        And even if you've never seen a fight or highlight of Armstrong, that itself is an accomplishment being that we can't even get the top fighters in 18 weight classes to fight each other in 2017

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
          I agree tech has not changed much since 40s-50s now training has but look those guys could go 15rds and a week later do a 10 then month later do another 15. look at srr 1st lose to Bronx bull fought him again 3 weeks later but best part is he fought I think Jackie Wilson inbetween for those who don't know Wilson he was top 10 welter!!!!! now he had to be ok shape 2 do that huh
          the thing that's destroying boxing now is that guys are fighting twice a year and that's called "active". 2 fights in 365 days. And they aren't staying active/in shape between fights. When I was boxing amatuer during my teens and 20s, I stayed in shape year round so if I heard about a competition in 2 weeks or heard about one the next week, I didn't have to make weight. I walked around at my fight weight and i was ready to go at any time. If you asked me on Thursday to fight on Friday, I was ready and in shape. Walking around 40 lbs above my fight weiht NEVER happened and that's the way it was in SRR's day. Plus it was same day weigh ins. If there is something I'd like to see boxing go back to is same day weigh ins. That would drastically change the sport. Fight in your right weight class or get the hell out of the sport

Comment

Originally posted by buddyr View Post
            the thing that's destroying boxing now is that guys are fighting twice a year and that's called "active". 2 fights in 365 days. And they aren't staying active/in shape between fights. When I was boxing amatuer during my teens and 20s, I stayed in shape year round so if I heard about a competition in 2 weeks or heard about one the next week, I didn't have to make weight. I walked around at my fight weight and i was ready to go at any time. If you asked me on Thursday to fight on Friday, I was ready and in shape. Walking around 40 lbs above my fight weiht NEVER happened and that's the way it was in SRR's day. Plus it was same day weigh ins. If there is something I'd like to see boxing go back to is same day weigh ins. That would drastically change the sport. Fight in your right weight class or get the hell out of the sport
            I don't think same day weigh ins will work u will still have guys trying to fight as small as poss.and instead of 175p fightin at 160 you would have a lot weight drained fighter on fight nite. I see no way this will ever change. unless they fought 6-10 times a year because then like am tourney they have to fight close to walkin around weight

Comment

I don't think same day weigh ins will work u will still have guys trying to fight as small as poss.and instead of 175p fightin at 160 you would have a lot weight drained fighter on fight nite. I see no way this will ever change. unless they fought 6-10 times a year because then like am tourney they have to fight close to walkin around weight
              Well that would be their problem if I were in charge. The silliest thing ever is to try and make boxing "safe". We're talking about a sport in which you get punched in the face for 30 or 36 minutes . If these idiots in charge actually would put some thought process into it, they'd know that making the gloves bigger prolongs a beating and leads to more brain damage. I agree with you though, things won't change. The powers that be change things to make the people on the outside that know nothing about the sport happy. Bigger gloves and day before weigh ins are far worse in the long run than smaller gloves and same day weigh ins.

Comment

Originally posted by buddyr View Post
                Well that would be their problem if I were in charge. The silliest thing ever is to try and make boxing "safe". We're talking about a sport in which you get punched in the face for 30 or 36 minutes . If these idiots in charge actually would put some thought process into it, they'd know that making the gloves bigger prolongs a beating and leads to more brain damage. I agree with you though, things won't change. The powers that be change things to make the people on the outside that know nothing about the sport happy. Bigger gloves and day before weigh ins are far worse in the long run than smaller gloves and same day weigh ins.
                bigger gloves and stopping fights too quick is gonna ruin this sport.like u said u can only make it so safe and have it still be boxing. try not giving lin to shot fighter[roy jones,james toney that's a good start

Comment

headgear joke too only thing about those is helps with cuts.novice still wear headgear.open elite no. there are many who think headgear is MORE danger

Comment

Your just typing what everyone knows...where are the NEW techniques you spoke about. As far as conditioning the fighters then were in far better "boxing shape" than the men today.
                    "cryogenic chambers" seriously this isn't basketball where you need to recover quickly. When you fight these days you have six full months to recover. Robinson might have taken advantage of this because he fought MONTHLY!

"your a nobody in boxing"......I was IN boxing, you on the other hand have never visited a gym. My gym name is still in existence today producing state, regional and national competitors and champions since 1969.
                    World Champions have come to me for prep work prior to title fights how many country have you boxed in?
                    What historical venues have you boxed in? Disney Land!

Quoting old statements from BoxRec and making believe you actually knew what happened then is a joke.

My mentors were outstanding men in the sport and they taught me well. If you want to actually talk Methods & Techniques then do it but don't BS about "new" techniques when you have no idea how to perform them and you damn sure can't teach them.

Ray

Comment

bigger gloves and stopping fights too quick is gonna ruin this sport.like u said u can only make it so safe and have it still be boxing. try not giving lin to shot fighter[roy jones,james toney that's a good start
                      No, I was implying making the gloves 2 oz smaller. 6 oz for 147 and below and 8 for 154/above. It's the hurt business. Truthfully, I don't think there is that much of a big difference in 8 and 10, but this is the hurt business. Getting ko'd early if far better for someone's health than getting punished for 30 minutes

Comment

Working...
                      X