No announcement yet.

Why are British fighters so overhyped?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
    Most American greats come from America's Black population.

Consider the size of Black America to the UK..and the rest of the World.

That puts your post in better perspective.
    You don't know boxing history. Here's some fighters (a small sampling of 10) you've never heard of but you should research -

Willie Pep
    Terry McGovern
    Benny Leonard
    Barney Ross
    Tony Canzoneri
    Jimmy McLarnin
    Mickey Walker
    Harry Greb
    Gene Tunney
    Billy Conn

Your welcome and i can give you more if you wish.

Oh and since your so into the race thing because your a bigot there's an island called Puerto Rico that's less than 4m people that takes a fat dump on every country in the world when it comes to producing champions relative to its size. Perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
      I think we can all agree, they have never had an elite world class fighter. Joshua is a cherry picker in a weak division

The last true would champion they had was Eubank sr and Collins destroyed him.

Discuss
      Not as hyped as Broner, Gary russel Jr, Wilder, demetrius andrade.

American fighters are over hyped by default.

Comment

I think we can all agree, they have never had an elite world class fighter. Joshua is a cherry picker in a weak division

The last true would champion they had was Eubank sr and Collins destroyed him.

Discuss
        Argument destroyed with one word......Lennox

Comment

Its pretty simple, Boxing is popular in the UK, its not over hype, people simply know who they are. Jesus look at British boxers social media followings, theyre huge compared to others, think Katie Taylor has more followers than any PBC fighter, same with Michael Conlan. America is in a slump, it aint overhyping, just the rest of the world talks more about it

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
            Not as hyped as Broner, Gary russel Jr, Wilder, demetrius andrade.

American fighters are over hyped by default.
            I agree with your sentiment but I will say I believe Andrade and Russell to be badasses who will prove that when provided with the opportunity.

Comment

“School me again?”....... sorry who are you? I’ve genuinelu never seen you post here before

Idiot lol
              Oh and learn to spell before calling someone an idiot you troglodyte.

There's no such thing as a "would champion" and there's no such word as "genuinelu". I believe it's WORLD champion and GENUINELY.

So consider that a spelling lesson and a boxing lesson son.

Comment

never had an elite fighter lennox lewis and joe calzaghe ring any bells? Two of the greatest fighters in history. Theres no man them two fought who they didnt beat.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                  NEVER suggests in history. I'll take you to school again here as I normally do -

Lennox Lewis
                  Ted "Kid" Lewis
                  Bob Fitzsimmons
                  Jackie "Kid" Berg
                  Ken Buchanan
                  Benny Lynch
                  Randolph Turpin (2nd man to defeat SRR)
                  Joe Calzaghe (unbeaten doe)
                  Jimmy Driscoll
                  Jimmy Wilde (seen in many all-time top 20 p4p rankings by respect historians unknown to message board casual fanboys)
                  Freddie Welsh
                  Naseem Hamed

Just a sampling of some legit hall of famers off the top of my head.

Your lack of basic fundamental knowledge never ceases to amaze me but I will continue to educate you with free sessions. I hope you acquire more knowledge from these and make the transition from casual fanboy to boxing fan. We need more boxing fans.
                  bob fitzsimmons is always claimed by brits but he was raised and learned to box in new Zealand that makes him a new Zealander to me.

Comment

They have a passionate fan base and Good promoters that are able to hype them and build interest in them from the time they first turn pro. The junior straps ( English & Comminwealth actually hold some clout )

So if they do reach the upper echeleon World Champ level fans are already aware and invested in their careers

American fighters usually don't get hyped if at all until they are well into their career sometimes even after they have a strap.

The UK should get props because they support their own and it's easier to become aware of a fighter in the begining of their career

Comment

Originally posted by bender2000 View Post
                      bob fitzsimmons is always claimed by brits but he was raised and learned to box in new Zealand that makes him a new Zealander to me.
                      Yeah, he was probably younger than 10 when he moved. But point stands they have had a lot of excellent World class fighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X